Can I reach the golf cart pedals??

Closed Thread
Old 02-03-2012, 04:15 PM
Sage
Default Can I reach the golf cart pedals??

I'm hoping you can answer a question. I am only 5'1". Will I be able to comfortably reach the pedals on my golf cart to drive it? I know when purchasing a car, I buy one mostly because I can reach the pedals with ease. The seat has to go up far enough for me. In a cart, this could be a challenge, couldn't it?? I don't think the seats are adjustable.
Old 02-03-2012, 04:22 PM
Sage

Typically, the seats aren't adjustable. Some custom seats are adjustable just like in an auto. But, to answer your question. I'm 5'2" with short (cute, but short) legs. I can reach the pedals in both our Yamaha carts. I've seen many, many women use small pillows behind their backs to scoot themselves up closer to the steering wheel and pedals.

I saw the nicest one the other night in the Square. It was a vinyl upholstered cushion that hung over the top of the seat with aluminum bar thingies. Very nice.
Old 02-03-2012, 04:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happinow View Post
I'm hoping you can answer a question. I am only 5'1". Will I be able to comfortably reach the pedals on my golf cart to drive it? I know when purchasing a car, I buy one mostly because I can reach the pedals with ease. The seat has to go up far enough for me. In a cart, this could be a challenge, couldn't it?? I don't think the seats are adjustable.
Have you been on a lifestyle visit?
Old 02-03-2012, 04:32 PM
Sage

I have a vertically challenged neighbor, and her husband put a block of 2 by 4 on each pedal. Problem solved!!
Old 02-03-2012, 04:35 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkcunningham1 View Post
Typically, the seats aren't adjustable. Some custom seats are adjustable just like in an auto. But, to answer your question. I'm 5'2" with short (cute, but short) legs. I can reach the pedals in both our Yamaha carts. I've seen many, many women use small pillows behind their backs to scoot themselves up closer to the steering wheel and pedals.

I saw the nicest one the other night in the Square. It was a vinyl upholstered cushion that hung over the top of the seat with aluminum bar thingies. Very nice.
I'm also vertically challenged, I have the vinyl cushion and it works great!
Old 02-03-2012, 04:36 PM
Sage

We have not had a LSV. We have been visiting the Villages for many years because we had family that lived there.
Old 02-03-2012, 04:39 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan View Post
I have a vertically challenged neighbor, and her husband put a block of 2 by 4 on each pedal. Problem solved!!
that works !
Old 02-03-2012, 04:54 PM

My wife is just 5' and has no problem with our club car.
Old 02-03-2012, 05:05 PM

I am barely 5' tall and we have a Yamaha and also a street legal Par-Car. I hate to drive the Yamaha because I have to sit on the edge of the seat to reach the pedals and it would take a very large pillow to be of any help, but I LOVE my Par-Car with it's adjustable bucket seats!

Just try them out and remember that if you are like most of us, you will be spending a lot of time behind the wheel tooling around this beautiful place!
Old 02-03-2012, 05:09 PM
Sage

The Polaris has a driver's seatback that moves forward about 6". The result is similar to the pads people put behind them on other carts, but this one is part of the cart itself. It then retracts when a larger person drives.
Old 02-03-2012, 05:10 PM

While on a LSV the provided Yamaha gas cart was very new (2010) and was outfitted with very basic options.

This means that the seat was the standard bench seat and both my wife (5ft) and myself (5ft 4in) had to stretch or scoot forward.

Visiting the Villages Golf Cart store at LSL i quickly learned of the more typically outfitted model including an upgrade bench seat. This modest upgraded seat was a much better fit for both of us...we were seated firmly against the back of the seat and had no reach issues.
Old 02-03-2012, 05:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happinow View Post
We have not had a LSV. We have been visiting the Villages for many years because we had family that lived there.
Could you reach the pedals on their cart?
Old 02-03-2012, 06:25 PM
Smile

You can get a pedal extension (similar to wood block another suggested)
My wife is about 5' and doesn't have a problem with the one got with our cart from Carts and Clubs in Ocala. I am about 5'8" and am also comfortable with it.
Old 02-03-2012, 06:28 PM
Gold member

went golfing the other day with a woman who had her vinyl pillow upholstered in matching sunbrella fabric - easy to do if you are ordering a new cart with custom sunbrella. Also, if you can sew, look online or ask about ordering enough fabric to do it yourself. It's just an elastic casing that doesn't show.
Old 02-03-2012, 06:40 PM
Sage

Happinow, you're gonna have to sit in the particular cart you're interested in to see how it works for you. The 2x4 block of wood idea is the most simplistic fix, I'd imagine.

I believe Carts & Clubs in Ocala offers pedal extensions as an option/accessory - you might want to give them a buzz.

Bill
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.