Cars vs golf cart lanes

Closed Thread
Old 04-12-2013, 05:37 AM
Veteran member
Default Cars vs golf cart lanes

When the car ahead of you makes a left hand turn, do you drive around the car into the golf cart lane or do you wait? I always wait behind the car but my husband says that if there is no cart in the lane I can go around the car.
Old 04-12-2013, 05:58 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts

For safety, cars should not pass in the golf cart lane. There are "blind spots" when using your car mirrors and you could hit a golf cart causing a tragic accident.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:18 AM
Email Reported As Spam

The golf cart lanes have a white solid line for a reason. However, at least one member of TOTV admits to using the golf cart lanes as part of his/her turning regime which of course is illegal. To your question then I do not believethere is a right or wrong answer, except to say that when in your cart be suspcious of all auto drivers because some simply do not care or do not realize what they do. As an example I saw at least three drivers yesterday that intentionally violated the roundabout rules which is why i hold back when I notice a vehicle to the right of me.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:19 AM
Veteran member
Location: Reading, Pa, The Villages, Reading, Pa, The Villages until the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
For safety, cars should not pass in the golf cart lane. There are "blind spots" when using your car mirrors and you could hit a golf cart causing a tragic accident.
Very True>>>>I agree
Old 04-12-2013, 06:38 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

According to Florida statutes (317.083-.085), you are allowed to pass on the right so long as you stay on the pavement. So, it can legally be done. However, I agree with justjim. It is dangerous.

The other day, I was driving down Morse with quite a bit of vehicular traffic. A car gave little warning, stopped and turned on signal to turn left. The car behind the left-turning vehicle gave no warning whatsoever (did have time to stop), turned into the multi-modal lane to pass the left-turning vehicle. Had I been paying a little less attention, I would have become one of those golf-cart-injury statistics. I don't see how the driver could not have seen me in the golf cart lane -- I was slightly ahead of it for a bit before this incident. I had to move onto the grass rather quickly. Fortunately, my cart did not tip, I did not fall out of the cart, I did not get hit by the car.

So, if you feel you absolutely, positively have to pass on the right, please be very careful. Those of us sharing "your" road would truly appreciate it.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 04-12-2013, 07:06 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
The golf cart lanes have a white solid line for a reason. However, at least one member of TOTV admits to using the golf cart lanes as part of his/her turning regime which of course is illegal. To your question then I do not believethere is a right or wrong answer, except to say that when in your cart be suspcious of all auto drivers because some simply do not care or do not realize what they do. As an example I saw at least three drivers yesterday that intentionally violated the roundabout rules which is why i hold back when I notice a vehicle to the right of me.
When turning right, I merge into the golf cart lane to show my intention to any oncoming carts. That seems to follow logical driving rules and I am yet to see where it is illegal to do so. Please provide a link to an official site that could clarify your findings. I cannot find anything on it.
Old 04-12-2013, 07:15 AM
Sage

Old 04-12-2013, 07:16 AM
Sage

when driving in my car an the cart lane merges, who has the right of way?

I yield to the cart but someone else said they should wait for the car.

Old 04-12-2013, 07:16 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingnut View Post
When turning right, I merge into the golf cart lane to show my intention to any oncoming carts. That seems to follow logical driving rules and I am yet to see where it is illegal to do so. Please provide a link to an official site that could clarify your findings. I cannot find anything on it.
I also merge into the golf cart lane when I am considerably ahead of a golf cart traveling in the same direction to show my intention of turning. Blinkers always used. That seems to be a novelty here in the villages by both car drivers and golf cart drivers. When I am approaching a right turn and there is a golf cart in front of me, I start slowing down well before the turn to stay behind the cart to let the cart pass first and me follow.

I always assume that the golf cart is going straight thru the intersection and drive accordingly.
Old 04-13-2013, 06:35 AM
Veteran member
Location: Reading, Pa, The Villages, Reading, Pa, The Villages until the end.

TURN SIGNALS PEOPLE, USE YOUR TURN SIGNALS. I have never seen so many people that don't use their turn signals. Whether driving a car or a golf cart use your turn signals. Other drivers can NOT read your mind of where you are going.
Old 04-13-2013, 07:39 PM

All theses question and more are answered at the monthly golf cart safety clinic held at Savannah. Carting Around The Villages is also a worthwhile class. Stay out of the golf cart lane...always.
Old 04-13-2013, 08:09 PM

We are a GOLF CART COMMUNITY therefore we need to give a break (no pun intended) to our fellow neighbors. When travelling by van coming through the Belvedere gate, I will hold a few cars up to let golf carts be on their way. One place we've found some of the rudest people are those entering and leaving Morse Blvd between 27/441 and 466. I can hardly believe that they are all Villages residents. We've witnessed a lot of tradesmen flying through TV this year, on the phone, weaving into golf cart lanes, tailgating other cars etc. Perhaps some heavy fines should be in place. It doesn't take much to be a bit courteous to each other whether you're in a cart or car.
Old 04-13-2013, 08:50 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingnut View Post
Common sense dictates that you are doing it right. You are never supposed to turn right or left across another active lane and the golf cart lane is a vehicle lane. In most states it is a generally accepted practice to be able to cross a solid white line for ingress and egress.
Old 04-13-2013, 08:55 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2newyorkers View Post
When the car ahead of you makes a left hand turn, do you drive around the car into the golf cart lane or do you wait? I always wait behind the car but my husband says that if there is no cart in the lane I can go around the car.
Let your husband know he is mistaken. In Florida on a two lane road, it is illegal to pass a car turning left on the right side.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:27 AM
Sage

But if the cart lanes are considered to be travel lanes, doesn't that make them 4 lane roads ?

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.