Cart insurance going through the roof

Old 03-29-2024, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimschlaefer View Post
I can't speak to 2024 carts specifically, but I insured our 2017 and 2021 carts with Progressive and the total cost was no where near your costs. Progressive treats them as motorcycles or ATVs and as for cost, it all depends how much you want to cover. We figured liability was important. As for collision or replacement, we kept a high deductible to reduce the overall cost, but still not 'break our bank'. If I recall, the total for my Harley and the two buggies was under $350.
Same- 2022 cart- $100/yr
Old 03-29-2024, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJOHNS2654 View Post
I got new policy on my 2024 Yamaha Quiet Tech. last week from All State. Today Agent called and informed me that Allstate is no longer insuring 2024 Yamahas as "golf Carts" because of "Safety improvements Yamaha has made to the 2024's, making them LSV's. (Low Speed Vehicle.)

Tried to add it to my Geico Policy and they want $525.00 and that does not include Collision or Comprehensive.
I ran into the same problem. My Allstate agent found a policy for me with American Modern for $183 a year. It includes Comprehensive and Collision.
Old 03-29-2024, 09:01 AM

What a great rate! Progressive Ins. via Villages Ins. agency just renews my 2018 golf cart policy with my clean driving record for $179, shoot.
Old 03-29-2024, 10:26 AM
Default Just switched my 2022 Yamaha from American Integrity ($250-$500k coverage, for $1800

Previously insured with American Integrity ($250-$500k coverage, for $180 per year) to Progressive, for $70 per year. Same coverage. Contact the Villages Insurance.
Old 03-29-2024, 11:12 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,091 Times in 298 Posts

I think it's an example of the stupidity of Florida insurance companies that they aren't all filling our mailboxes with offers to insure our 20-mph vehicles that probably didn't cost $10K and wouldn't cost them $3000 to replace if you totaled it. But I guess we shouldn't be surprised, since this is the same stupid crew that created the roofing scam with their idiotic "fool-replacement" roof policies.

Why do people think they need to be insured against every trivial risk in this life? Here's a better idea -- take the trivial risk, pocket the premiums, and save your kids from funding your final year on the planet some day. If you somehow manage to wreck your cart beyond your means to repair it, no more golf cart. Big deal. I guess you'll just have to get by with your CAR and renting a cart for golf -- for a grand total of $7 a round. I think you'll survive.
Old 03-29-2024, 11:17 AM

Just changed over to Progressive, call Westgate Jones Ins. in Leesburg. Total was $136.00
Old 03-29-2024, 11:27 AM

Quote:
I got new policy on my 2024 Yamaha Quiet Tech. last week from All State. Today Agent called and informed me that Allstate is no longer insuring 2024 Yamahas as "golf Carts" because of "Safety improvements Yamaha has made to the 2024's, making them LSV's. (Low Speed Vehicle.)

Tried to add it to my Geico Policy and they want $525.00 and that does not include Collision or Comprehensive.
Not pointing fingers, but, the way some of these golf carts fly down the roads they are vehicles
Old 03-29-2024, 11:50 AM
Veteran member

Quote:

Too many folks defeating the 20 mph governor on their golf carts and driving them as LSVs.
Old 03-29-2024, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nn0wheremann View Post
Too many folks defeating the 20 mph governor on their golf carts and driving them as LSVs.
EZGO Elite, USAA comes under an umbrella policy.
Old 03-29-2024, 05:37 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueblaze View Post
I think it's an example of the stupidity of Florida insurance companies that they aren't all filling our mailboxes with offers to insure our 20-mph vehicles that probably didn't cost $10K and wouldn't cost them $3000 to replace if you totaled it. But I guess we shouldn't be surprised, since this is the same stupid crew that created the roofing scam with their idiotic "fool-replacement" roof policies.

Why do people think they need to be insured against every trivial risk in this life? Here's a better idea -- take the trivial risk, pocket the premiums, and save your kids from funding your final year on the planet some day. If you somehow manage to wreck your cart beyond your means to repair it, no more golf cart. Big deal. I guess you'll just have to get by with your CAR and renting a cart for golf -- for a grand total of $7 a round. I think you'll survive.
I look at golf cart insurance as protecting me against being sued. I less care about being able to repair my cart. Much like your auto insurance, you carry more liability.
Old 03-29-2024, 07:18 PM

Our LSV Atomic golf cart was just renewed with Foremost for $289.
Old 03-29-2024, 10:02 PM

Quote:

We have our cart insured with Progressive as a motorcycle policy. We pay $155 per year. We paid $193 last year but was given a safe driving discount this year. Ours is not registered as street legal and does not go over 20 mph.
Old 04-03-2024, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunny2403 View Post
Just renewed with Progressive at $109/yr
You're lucky I was quoted 250.00 for 6 months on a 2023 Yamaha gas cart from Progressive Insurance. The rate on the car insurance was good but the cart quote was not, staying with my current company even though rate is up 25% this year.
Old 04-04-2024, 10:28 PM
Default Check serial number

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
LSV means Low Speed Vehicle. By Florida definition, it is a vehicle capable of more than 20mph but not more than 25mph.

Adding seat belts to a golf cart does not make it a LSV. Increasing the speed of a golf cart above 20mph *does* convert it to an LSV.

Hard to say what the insurance company saw that triggered the LSV. Could it be a Yamaha standard to set the top speed at 25mph? Doesn't seem likely and not according to their sales page. Could it be the vehicle was configured that way at the dealer and that information was passed to the insurance company? Possibly. Could have been something else too.
If 17 digits it is a LSV. Some dealers think writing a letter that it is a golf cart will work for insurance company to write as a golf cart. NOPE. Also, I watched a video that was done in The Villages. Golf carts were going faster than 20 mph which makes then LSV. It is going to get harder to insure golf carts.
Old 04-05-2024, 05:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,068 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorfan1 View Post
If 17 digits it is a LSV. Some dealers think writing a letter that it is a golf cart will work for insurance company to write as a golf cart. NOPE. Also, I watched a video that was done in The Villages. Golf carts were going faster than 20 mph which makes then LSV. It is going to get harder to insure golf carts.
17 digits of what?

If you are referring to a VIN then yes, it is an LSV. VINs are not assigned to golf carts, extra work is needed to obtain a VIN. One way to obtain a VIN is to go through the process of converting a golf cart to an LSV then arranging the inspections to show it has the required safety equipment and file a form asking that it be assigned a VIN. If all that was done to say, "this vehicle is a LSV with all the required safety equipment and a VIN" then sure, it should be insured as what it is.

I haven't purchased a 2024 Yamaha cart but I'm sure someone on here has. Are they all, every one, without exception, rolled off the assembly line and assigned VINs as LSVs before reaching the dealer in Florida?

I've mentioned before that I have not acquired the skill to tell a fulltime resident from a snowbird from a non-Villager simply by the way they dress. I have now realized that I also have not acquired the skill to determine within one mph the speed a golf cart is traveling. I cannot tell that the golf cart traveling down the MMP along Morse is going faster than 35mph as reported in another thread and I cannot tell that golf carts were going faster than 20mph in a video. I'm definitely feeling like a failure as an observant Villager.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough

Tags
policy, yamaha, making, 2024s, cart

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.