Golf Cart Searching

Closed Thread
Old 06-11-2013, 12:41 PM
Default Golf Cart Searching

Hi, Shopping for a cart and really like electric ride and no ordor. My concern is distance and does the cart lose power while driving. I have a club car now that is really in great shape...just had new batteries last year. I find as i am driving even a short distance the cart speed decreases...any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Chris
Old 06-11-2013, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris A View Post
Hi, Shopping for a cart and really like electric ride and no ordor. My concern is distance and does the cart lose power while driving. I have a club car now that is really in great shape...just had new batteries last year. I find as i am driving even a short distance the cart speed decreases...any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Chris
I have a club car and live in Fernandina. I've gone from home to LSL, then to SS, on to Brownwood and home. That's a lot of miles the last part going home I could notice some decrease in power.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:08 AM
Sage
Default Get a multi meter....

It is unclear if you are asking about buying a new cart or understanding the issue with your cart. In either case the brand of a cart as it relates to range is not nearly as significant as the battery configuration. In the SAME cart, 4-12v batteries do not have as much range as 6-8v batteries which do not have as much same range as 8-6v batteries.

A Club Car with 4-12V batteries will not have nearly the same range as a Club Car with 8-6v batteries.

I do not for a second presume you do not already know what I am about to say and hope I do not sound condescending in any way. This is for new sparky owners who may be unfamiliar.

As far as your current cart slowing down, I think everyone that owns an electric cart should invest in a multi-meter. You can get a nice digital one for less than $50, likely much less. They are easy to use, if I was around, I would have you over for a beverage if you felt uncomfortable using.

For a cart to slow down as you describe, the pack needs to be seriously depleted. This should not happen in a short distance. When loss of speed happens, you need one key piece of information as a start to diagnose. Grab your multi-meter and....

What is the voltage of my pack as a whole? What is the voltage of each of my batteries?

Then you have some info to take next step. Depending on your voltage readings, it may have nothing to do with the pack itself.

PS. Thank you for choosing electric.

Last edited by ajbrown; 06-12-2013 at 04:50 PM.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:10 AM
Platinum member

At the risk of muddling your mind further, why not reconsider a gas cart. The misgivings and problems you have with your electric is shared by many other owners. The cost and hassle of keeping electrics at top efficiency over the long haul is significant. As TV has grown, more electric owners have problems negotiating the distances. It's no surprise that gas carts are now outselling electrics by a very wide margin. It's also true that many electric owners feel carrying a tow rope is a necessity.

The odor and noise complaints about gas carts are overblown well beyond reality and some electric owners voice those concerns simply because they are trying to find some reasons why they didn't choose a gas cart themselves. Check out the previous threads where the gas/electric debate usually rises to a hilarious, irrational level. Folks here have their preferences and sometimes don't let things like facts stand in their way.

So be objective and patient as you sound like you've been so far. If you really want a new cart but would like to save hundreds, maybe thousands, consider a complete rebuilt cart from a place like Masters golf cars on 441, or go to a dealer in Ocala who will sell you the same brand new cart you can by in TV for a significantly lower price. Good luck!
Old 06-12-2013, 01:29 PM
Veteran member

I own both and i prefer the gas. The newer gas carts have less odor and are quieter. Batteries require monitoring water levels plus if one goes bad, you have to replace all of them.
Old 06-12-2013, 03:53 PM
Sage

Have you considered adding solar, those can go a lot further
Old 06-12-2013, 03:57 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKETMAN View Post
I own both and i prefer the gas. The newer gas carts have less odor and are quieter. Batteries require monitoring water levels plus if one goes bad, you have to replace all of them.
Less odor, that may depend on your individual senses, they do smell to say nothing of inhaling the fumes of the cart in front of you.

Several of my friends have new gas carts they smell and are still noisy.

That is an old wife's tale that is one goes bad you need to replace all ask Trogen that question, the answer is no.
Old 06-12-2013, 04:00 PM

We own an EZ GO gas that we purchased used (2008) and have yet to regret it. The next one will be gas also as we leave the cart dormant for a few months. We have good friends that owned battery operated and just switched to gasoline power to a new Yamaha.
Old 06-12-2013, 05:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,542 Times in 1,926 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKETMAN View Post
I agree.
Old 06-12-2013, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post
Have you considered adding solar, those can go a lot further
Do you convert a electric cart or do you have to buy a new one ?
if it is a convert what does it cost?
Old 06-12-2013, 07:05 PM
Sage
Default I am sorry

Chris A, if you come back and read this thread, I apologize for my earlier post. I misread your original post thinking you were interested in exchanging ideas about how electric carts can work in TV and what considerations there are. Reading the thread, I was clearly way off topic....

Good luck!

Last edited by ajbrown; 06-13-2013 at 06:19 AM.
Old 06-12-2013, 07:06 PM
Sage

About $800 after rebates to convert
Old 06-12-2013, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post
Less odor, that may depend on your individual senses, they do smell to say nothing of inhaling the fumes of the cart in front of you.

Several of my friends have new gas carts they smell and are still noisy.

That is an old wife's tale that is one goes bad you need to replace all ask Trogen that question, the answer is no.
But maybe it will eliminate tailgaters that some on here are complaining about.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.