Curtis Cab Enclosure

Closed Thread
Old 11-06-2023, 08:58 AM
Send a message via AIM to DM101
Default Curtis Cab Enclosure

I recently picked up a new Yamaha Golf Car with a Curtis Cab enclosure. After driving it for the past week I'm amazed how much of the engine exhaust gets into the cab. When I have the doors closed it's almost unbearable. I would imagine that the exhaust could be re-routed more away from the cab. Has anyone else experienced this? Any suggestion on a fix or where to take the car to fabricate an exhaust extension would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 11-06-2023, 10:16 AM

My thoughts are that there must be a leak. That shouldn’t happen. Hopefully someone that has one will respond.
Old 11-06-2023, 10:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,940 Times in 2,460 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DM101 View Post
I recently picked up a new Yamaha Golf Car with a Curtis Cab enclosure. After driving it for the past week I'm amazed how much of the engine exhaust gets into the cab. When I have the doors closed it's almost unbearable. I would imagine that the exhaust could be re-routed more away from the cab. Has anyone else experienced this? Any suggestion on a fix or where to take the car to fabricate an exhaust extension would be appreciated. Thanks.
Carburetor or fuel injected? Look for exhaust leak especially the flex hose connections. Also make sure flex connector not hard/cracked and leaking which usually causes backfire? Some reroute the tail pipe?
Old 11-06-2023, 10:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,159 Times in 2,252 Posts

The newer Yamaha are typically the Quietech design which encloses the engine compartment with a plastic (PVC?) tray bolted to the bottom of the cart. The engine exhaust is routed outside this tray by a rubber boot from the exhaust to the tray and the exit is near the center of the golf cart. It MAY be possible to extend the exhaust further back on the cart with the appropriate metal pipe, but I have not heard of anyone doing this on this model, I have seen this on older carts.
I would check to see that the rubber boot is in place correctly and possible consider adding a fan to the plastic panel at the rear of the cart to suck out air from the engine compartment.
Old 11-06-2023, 11:16 AM

It's a brand new 2023 fuel injected QT2. Rerouting the exhaust might be a solve but I think I'll check back with the VGC folks to see if they think it could be a something else going on. It's hard to believe this could be normal.
Old 11-06-2023, 11:37 AM

If you smell exhaust when the enclosure is closed, get the exhaust fixed immediately. Carbon monoxide, a colorless, odorless gas, can cause problems for you even at low levels.

— Joan Robinson, “Contributions to Modern Economics” (1978)
Old 11-06-2023, 08:08 PM
Gold member

Where did you purchase it and what are they saying about your problem? What you are describing should not be happening and the seller should correct your problem.
Old 11-06-2023, 10:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,159 Times in 2,252 Posts

I would like to clarify my previous answer, I agree with the above comments that you should not smell engine exhaust in the cab, my suggestion for the fan was IF the cab enclosure was causing these to be sucked into the cab, a fan MIGHT offset this.
I will add that we have a typical soft side enclosure on our quietech and have never smelled exhaust in the cab, so I also agree that the owner needs to go back to the dealer to remedy the situation.
Old 11-07-2023, 05:58 AM
Veteran member

Never have had any odor.
Old 11-07-2023, 06:17 AM

Go back to where you bought it. This is not normal. Something is wrong. This is MAJOR concern for your LIFE. Do NOT put this off. I hope you bought from reputable dealer. If by chance you have bad dealer, contact Yamaha directly. If new car then have full warranty that needs to be used NOW not LATER.
Old 11-07-2023, 06:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts

Btw, noticed on historic bridge, Curtis cab enclosure carts brushed each other, be careful there.
Old 11-07-2023, 06:58 AM

Ive had a Curtis cab on my Yamaha golf cart for 4 years. I’ve never had any fumes.
Old 11-07-2023, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell57 View Post
Ive had a Curtis cab on my Yamaha golf cart for 4 years. I’ve never had any fumes.
Same here. We have 2020 and 2021 Yamaha QuieTech carts, and the 2021 has a Curtis enclosure. 2020 just has the zippered Sunbrella material. Never had any problems with fumes with either one whether fully closed or open.

Take the previous advice seriously. Return to the dealer you purchased the cart from and get things checked out and taken care of.
--------------------------------------------
We live in interesting times
--------------------------------------------
Old 11-07-2023, 10:54 AM

Thanks all. I had it built by the Villages Golf Car shop in Brownwood and picked it up last week. It only has 15 miles on it now. I'm going to bring it back there today to have them look at it. We'll see what they determine to be the cause...
Old 11-07-2023, 12:21 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DM101 View Post
The start of the second million reasons to by an electric cart!!!
Seriously...if you smell gas fumes you DO have a carbon monoxide issue!!!!!
Closed Thread

Tags
cab, exhaust, car, curtis, enclosure

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.