Depreciation on Electric vs Gas powered golf carts

Old 02-04-2024, 05:04 PM
Default Depreciation on Electric vs Gas powered golf carts

Trying to understand whether it makes sense to start out my village journey with a new or used Golf cart, electric or gas? My sense tells me to buy used until I have a better sense of what I will need it for, other than golf and the occasional leisurely rides to the town squares. I am not retired yet so will probably drive to stores if it’s faster. It seems like electric carts would depreciate faster given the steady decline of the battery.

If I go with a gas cart, how many miles do these things run on average before repairs become more frequent? Would like a general idea of when to buy and sell, to minimize depreciation and breakdowns. Looking for the proverbial Goldilocks zone.

Based on my recent visit, Yamaha seems like the most popular gas power cart in the Villages??

I am interested in all opinions. I have no basis for making a decision yet. Thanks in advanced.
Old 02-04-2024, 05:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,068 Posts

We have one of each: a 2019 Yamaha gas and a 2023 EZGo electric. Unless something changes drastically, my next cart (many years from now) will be electric.

- Neither cart has needed repairs though realistically, the 2023 is still too new to have problems.
- The gas cart requires a yearly oil change and will occasionally require a drive belt
- The electric cart *may* lose range in cold weather or over time. We *might* be seeing a little of that now but the jury is still out
- The lows sound level of the electric is really nice but the gas cart is not all that loud either
- The gas cart feels heavier and more stable in the corners but that may have more to do with the suspension than any difference in gas/electric

New or used? Really a personal decision
- New comes with a warranty to fix any problems that arise
- Used comes with the expectation that any problems that arose were fixed by the previous owner
- New comes with the ability to customize it at the factory
- Used can come with some pretty nice aftermarket additions
- We bought new rather than hope the previous owner took good care of the cart
- Others have reported good experiences buying used
- The price may be more negotiable for a used cart

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 02-04-2024, 05:20 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coop63 View Post
Trying to understand whether it makes sense to start out my village journey with a new or used Golf cart, electric or gas? My sense tells me to buy used until I have a better sense of what I will need it for, other than golf and the occasional leisurely rides to the town squares. I am not retired yet so will probably drive to stores if it’s faster. It seems like electric carts would depreciate faster given the steady decline of the battery.

If I go with a gas cart, how many miles do these things run on average before repairs become more frequent? Would like a general idea of when to buy and sell, to minimize depreciation and breakdowns. Looking for the proverbial Goldilocks zone.

Based on my recent visit, Yamaha seems like the most popular gas power cart in the Villages??

I am interested in all opinions. I have no basis for making a decision yet. Thanks in advanced.
go with a gas yamaha, 200 miles on a tank of gas. as far as repairs go, things go,but not often. may need a belt ,battery, tires.
Old 02-04-2024, 05:21 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,046 Times in 731 Posts

Quote:

Golf Cart Gas

Golf Cart Insurance

https://www.talkofthevillages.com/fo...2&pp=25&page=4

The golf cart is king at The Villages, but ...

Golf cart insurance

Atomic Golf Carts...............SLAM away

Golf carts $$$$$ ripoff

Does anyone have an informed opinion on ICON EV Golf Carts?

Carts and Clubs in Ocala sold…..

Quote:
Originally Posted by village dreamer View Post
go with a gas yamaha, 200 miles on a tank of gas. as far as repairs go, things go,but not often. may need a belt ,battery, tires.
Just don't plan on moving and bringing your cart. Hardly a retirement community in the USA, allows gas powered golf carts. They went out of style about 20 years ago, everywhere but The Villages.

Last edited by BrianL99; 02-04-2024 at 06:04 PM.
Old 02-04-2024, 05:22 PM
Veteran member

Quote:

I think you're way overthinking it

There isn't a huge issue with wear and tear on golf carts. Change the oil annually, change the belts when they need it and enjoy.

My only advice is simply to get a fuel injected one, most models after about 2013/14 are fuel injected.

I put around 4000 miles on my used gas cart the first year here. A 2015, we bought in 2019. Other than some tire wear and a pair of oil changes, it's the same as it was.

In the subsequent years, I'm doing about half that annually, and I've replaced all the bushings once. I've changed the battery once as well and put on larger tires for some more speed.

My wife and I own 3 carts, one for the rental property, one for each of us. Hers is battery and she only goes local as the batteries are getting on in years.

The rental gets used like a rented mule and again, other than a new battery and oil changes, we've done exactly zero other maintence.

We own 3 club cars, but Yamahas are just as good or better.
Old 02-04-2024, 05:46 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,608 Times in 945 Posts

Agree, you are over thinking it.

You will have the cart for a long time, unless you want a new one.

Gas or Electric, up to you.

i personally went with a gas Yamaha.
Old 02-04-2024, 05:56 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,045 Times in 536 Posts
Default Gas Cart

Gas would be the way to go for depreciation or amortization limits. Batteries in electric carts cost way too much and need replaced a whole lot more often than gas engines.

“ There are those who believe something, and therefore will tolerate nothing; and on the other hand, those who tolerate everything, because they believe nothing.” - Robert Browning
Old 02-04-2024, 06:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,087 Times in 2,748 Posts

The most dependable , maintenance free, bulletproof carts you can get hands down are the mid 2013 through 2016 gas Yamaha EFI carts. The carburetor Yamaha’s before then are good, but not as maintenance free. In 2017, Yamaha introduced the Quiet Tech, which has the rear independent suspension and is quieter, but has proven to be less dependable. Older electric carts that aren’t lithium don’t hold their value well at all, and for good reason. The jury is still out on how well the newer lithium electric carts will hold their value. We use a very good golf cart mechanic, who works on carts all day long six days per week, who told me to never sell our ultra dependable 2014 Yamaha EFI.
Old 02-04-2024, 06:34 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,248 Times in 362 Posts

We have one 2018 gas and one 2016 electric. She likes her electric and I like my gas cart. The downside to electric is about every 4 to 5 years when you have to replace the batteries. That is a big expense and something to consider if you buy used.

The government cannot give anything to anyone without first taking it from someone else
Old 02-04-2024, 07:11 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by npwalters View Post
We have one 2018 gas and one 2016 electric. She likes her electric and I like my gas cart. The downside to electric is about every 4 to 5 years when you have to replace the batteries. That is a big expense and something to consider if you buy used.
Maybe true for lead acid batteries but not true for lithium. My lithium battery came with an eight year warranty; I expect it to last 12 years or more and I'll likely have a new cart by then.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 02-04-2024, 07:17 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,248 Times in 362 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
Maybe true for lead acid batteries but not true for lithium. My lithium battery came with an eight year warranty; I expect it to last 12 years or more and I'll likely have a new cart by then.
Very unlikely a used cart will come with a lithium battery pack and somewhat unlikely even in a new cart.

The government cannot give anything to anyone without first taking it from someone else
Old 02-04-2024, 07:17 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normal View Post
Gas would be the way to go for depreciation or amortization limits. Batteries in electric carts cost way too much and need replaced a whole lot more often than gas engines.
With the lithium batteries, this might not be correct. EZ GO is guaranteeing batteries for 8 years. Personally, do not like gas carts because of the smell/smoke
Old 02-04-2024, 07:20 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
The most dependable , maintenance free, bulletproof carts you can get hands down are the mid 2013 through 2016 gas Yamaha EFI carts. The carburetor Yamaha’s before then are good, but not as maintenance free. In 2017, Yamaha introduced the Quiet Tech, which has the rear independent suspension and is quieter, but has proven to be less dependable. Older electric carts that aren’t lithium don’t hold their value well at all, and for good reason. The jury is still out on how well the newer lithium electric carts will hold their value. We use a very good golf cart mechanic, who works on carts all day long six days per week, who told me to never sell our ultra dependable 2014 Yamaha EFI.
Have a 2020 Yamaha and will politely disagree. 400 hours and no problems whatsoever.
Old 02-04-2024, 07:30 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by npwalters View Post
Very unlikely a used cart will come with a lithium battery pack and somewhat unlikely even in a new cart.
Somewhat unlikely in a used cart perhaps but a new cart is highly likely to be lithium powered.

Would be interesting to hear of someone's experience with replacing a set of lead acid batteries with lithium equivalents.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 02-04-2024, 07:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,914 Times in 918 Posts

Quote:
It seems like electric carts would depreciate faster given the steady decline of the battery.

If I go with a gas cart, how many miles do these things run on average before repairs become more frequent? Would like a general idea of when to buy and sell, to minimize depreciation and breakdowns.

Based on my recent visit, Yamaha seems like the most popular gas power cart in the Villages??.
Depreciation is irrelevant. . . . how much money do you have?
Expect to own the cart 10 years at the minimum unless you use it a real, real lot. .

you can buy a $25K new one or an $8-$12K used one. mechanically, they are no more complex than a ride on mower. . . or maybe a ride on mower is more complex.

just rent an electric cart for a month while renting down here, rent a gas cart the next month, and then you should have enough experience. . . to make choice, then decide how much money you want to spend. .

don't over think buying an oversized lawnmower with two seats and a roof. If you overthink a golf cart, picking the right house might take forever. .

there's no substitution for trying before buying

Tags
gas, cart, sense, golf, electric

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.