Depreciation on Electric vs Gas powered golf carts

Old 02-04-2024, 07:50 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,203 Times in 569 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL99 View Post
Just don't plan on moving and bringing your cart. Hardly a retirement community in the USA, allows gas powered golf carts. They went out of style about 20 years ago, everywhere but The Villages.

How many single developer retirement communities are as big or have all the cart infrastructure that TV has ?
Old 02-04-2024, 08:51 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,759 Times in 757 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coop63 View Post
Trying to understand whether it makes sense to start out my village journey with a new or used Golf cart, electric or gas? My sense tells me to buy used until I have a better sense of what I will need it for, other than golf and the occasional leisurely rides to the town squares. I am not retired yet so will probably drive to stores if it’s faster. It seems like electric carts would depreciate faster given the steady decline of the battery.

If I go with a gas cart, how many miles do these things run on average before repairs become more frequent? Would like a general idea of when to buy and sell, to minimize depreciation and breakdowns. Looking for the proverbial Goldilocks zone.

Based on my recent visit, Yamaha seems like the most popular gas power cart in the Villages??

I am interested in all opinions. I have no basis for making a decision yet. Thanks in advanced.
You''ll probably get so many opinions you'll be more confused that ever. We had several carts before retiring and moving to the villages. Only one was electric, that was the one and only, never again. Many will dismiss or refute this, but we found when an electric cart does have a problem when you are actually out in it, most of us have no idea what to do. Yet, most, not all, but most people, do know the basics of care for such things as a lawn mower, and a gas cart is not that many grades above a lawn mower. When we bought batteries for our electric cart, it was a MAJOR expense, far more than gasoline, and the the gas cart was not sucking electricity all night ever time we'd come back for a round.People say gas carts are loud, they are louder than electric, so if your #1 priority is quiet, and electric will surely not disappoint you. We have personally found Club car the most dependable gas cart. It requires little maintenance, clean oil and filter once a year... 20 minute job at most (15 of that opening the cap and letting the old drain into a pan), a couple turns to screw the new filter on, not much to it. We had one Club car we purchased used, and we used it for 18 years with ONE new battery, and one new set of 4 tires ! Many will make the same argument for electrics, so, good luck with which ever you chose.
Old 02-04-2024, 09:01 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,045 Times in 536 Posts
Default Peachtree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilyclub View Post
How many single developer retirement communities are as big or have all the cart infrastructure that TV has ?
Peachtree Georgia is large (maybe 100 miles of cart paths?). It’s a golf cart community but more for all the ages. I’m sure The Villages is twice the size and a little warmer though.

“ There are those who believe something, and therefore will tolerate nothing; and on the other hand, those who tolerate everything, because they believe nothing.” - Robert Browning
Old 02-04-2024, 09:02 PM
Veteran member

We bought a 7 year old Yamaha when we moved to TV. Low miles since they weren't golfers and were getting up there in age. Paid $7000. Had several extras though like full locking dash, speedometer, Sunbrella, seatbelts, storage shelf, signals, etc. We've had no major issues with it but have had to spend around $1000 to replace a few things but I'm totally fine with that. We realized early on that we would need a 4 seater so we opted to have a 4 seater kit installed for $1600 the first year. We've had 3-4 people on the cart dozens of times so it just made more sense for us.

Likely in a couple of years we will upgrade to a newer one, but I'm sure the resale on our current one will be no less than $5000 considering the 4 seater upgrade. Seems like reasonably modest depreciation.
Old 02-04-2024, 10:50 PM
Thanked 1,120 Times in 246 Posts

I have a 25 year old electric Club Car DS. I replaced the lead acid batteries three years ago with LFP batteries which will still be good for several more years. It will take me wherever I want to go and has never run out of juice. I just plug it in at the end of the day and it is ready to go. No gas or oil to leak in my garage like my neighbors did. No cart fires like a couple of recent gas cart fires. No exhaust fumes or noise. No myriad of filters, injectors, parts to replace. No tune ups or oil changes needed. I have seen a number of gas carts waiting on a tow but never an electric one. It's a no-brainer. Go electric. Those who still prefer gas are just resistant to change even it is good. My dad never wanted a front wheel drive car or a CVT transmission or 4-wheel drive without locking hubs but it has all been good.
The Villages Florida
Old 02-05-2024, 06:07 AM
Veteran member

new Yamaha gas cart is the best option. We bought new 2.5 years ago and have 10,000 miles on it. You will have maintenance like a belt, oil changes, but we have had a couple big items replaced under warranty, We buy new cars and golf carts because I don’t want somebody else’s problems.
We had electric carts before.
Battery life will all depend on how you use them, how you charge them, which are too many restrictions for me. I put gas in and can go 200 miles more than a lithium cart on 1 charge.
The cost of lithium batteries is very high and is a toxic waste that harms the environment. I can rebuild a gas cart many times for the cost of 1 set of lithium batteries.
As for atomic carts, cute looking, didn’t like them after driving them.
Just my opinion.
Old 02-05-2024, 06:07 AM

I drive my Yamaha gas cart everywhere. Rarely take the auto. I get 47 mpg consistently. I golf all championship courses north to south. Other guys with new electric lithium battery carts won’t go as far as I do/can. I never worry about running out of gas. Electric cart owners worry about the distances they travel.
Old 02-05-2024, 06:17 AM
Default Electric is the only way to go.

The Villages is the onlly place left that uses gas carts. Their resale value will soon be about the same as a picture tube TV. Electric is 10 times less expensive per mile and 100x less polluting.

4 years ago I bought a 2011 Star Cart and replaced the batteries with lithium and have been thrilled with the results.

Buy gas only if you need to spend all day driving your cart ... or if you are very old fashioned.
Old 02-05-2024, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
Somewhat unlikely in a used cart perhaps but a new cart is highly likely to be lithium powered.

Would be interesting to hear of someone's experience with replacing a set of lead acid batteries with lithium equivalents.
It was a snap. Lithium is good for 2000 charge cycles. Thats 60,000 miles. Way longer than I'll be alive.

I bought directly from ReLion and installed myself, but Battery Boys sells them and will do the install. 4 years now and absolutely no regrets.
Old 02-05-2024, 06:36 AM

I personally would not buy anything but a gas golf cart. I love how far I can go without any worries. It takes corners better and I have had zero repairs needed. I will never buy any electric vehicle that needs to be plugged in.
Old 02-05-2024, 06:46 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,606 Times in 943 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator1211 View Post
The Villages is the onlly place left that uses gas carts.
The Villages is also the only Comunity large enough, with enough carts and with enough infrastructure to support a lot of gas stations that golf carts can get to for a fill up.
Old 02-05-2024, 07:01 AM
Default Gas versus Electric

We have had both electric and gas. Electric is quieter but batteries are very expensive. They don't get the milage only perhaps 40-50 miles before charging. We have owned gas since they don't have a gas odor like the old ones. I get about 50 miles to a gallon. Neither have had much repairs. You think you only go short distances but lose out on going over the bridges to the south side because you're afraid of running out of power. Overall, both have their advantages and disadvantages. Used versus new. That's a personal decision and costs. I prefer gas especially because I can get more distance. Good luck
Old 02-05-2024, 07:09 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,863 Times in 786 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coop63 View Post
Trying to understand whether it makes sense to start out my village journey with a new or used Golf cart, electric or gas? My sense tells me to buy used until I have a better sense of what I will need it for, other than golf and the occasional leisurely rides to the town squares. I am not retired yet so will probably drive to stores if it’s faster. It seems like electric carts would depreciate faster given the steady decline of the battery.

If I go with a gas cart, how many miles do these things run on average before repairs become more frequent? Would like a general idea of when to buy and sell, to minimize depreciation and breakdowns. Looking for the proverbial Goldilocks zone.

Based on my recent visit, Yamaha seems like the most popular gas power cart in the Villages??

I am interested in all opinions. I have no basis for making a decision yet. Thanks in advanced.
Last year, about 80% of the golf carts sold by Villages Golf Cars had Lithium Ion batteries. That’s a reverse from two years before, when it was mostly Yamahas being sold.

I ordered a beautiful custom EZgo with lithium battery when I moved here three years ago. $21,000! But I don’t play golf, and after a year I had only put fifty miles on it. So I sold it for about $17,000, I think. A couple months ago I bought a 2020 Toyota Prius Limited with all the extras for $26,000. It had spent its life in The Villages, averaging 153 mpg over 46,000 miles. So, nearly all my driving in The Villages is powered by battery, and it’s more comfortable by far than a golf cart, just as quiet as that EZgo, fast, and heated in the cold and air-conditioned the rest of the year. I don’t miss the golf cart at all.
Old 02-05-2024, 07:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdallas View Post
I have a 25 year old electric Club Car DS. I replaced the lead acid batteries three years ago with LFP batteries which will still be good for several more years. It will take me wherever I want to go and has never run out of juice. I just plug it in at the end of the day and it is ready to go. No gas or oil to leak in my garage like my neighbors did. No cart fires like a couple of recent gas cart fires. No exhaust fumes or noise. No myriad of filters, injectors, parts to replace. No tune ups or oil changes needed. I have seen a number of gas carts waiting on a tow but never an electric one. It's a no-brainer. Go electric. Those who still prefer gas are just resistant to change even it is good. My dad never wanted a front wheel drive car or a CVT transmission or 4-wheel drive without locking hubs but it has all been good.
The Villages Florida
Any statistics on how many "gas carts" caught on fire (short of throwing a cigar in the tank) vs. "lithium battery carts"??? I don't know either, but I have a pretty good idea---never had a gas tank blow up while getting charged
Gas carts getting towed----very rare, and can be filled if out of gas
Electric carts getting towed----out of juice and can't be filled up
Old 02-05-2024, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL99 View Post
We did 19 years ago and saved $2000. We had a friend to trailer it down. As far as purchasing now, I would go with a used one, either from a dealer or private owner. Most sellers will negotiate, and if you find one you like, have it checked out/driven by a knowledgeable friend. If you're really a novice, buy new (gas).

Tags
gas, cart, sense, golf, electric

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.