Depreciation on Electric vs Gas powered golf carts

Old 02-05-2024, 07:17 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,303 Times in 561 Posts

you will be very sorry if you buy Electric!

A New Gas Yamaha is the way to go,
it's a One time purchase, you will change oil as required and Enjoy the Reliability of a Yamaha
Old 02-05-2024, 07:22 AM
Sage

No, not 10x, not even close. I have a gas and an electric golf cart. The electric costs about 2.5 cents per mile and the gas cost about 6 cents per mile. These are just the fuel charges. Eventually the gas cart will be replaced with another electric but the cost per mile is not a factor in the decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator1211 View Post
The Villages is the onlly place left that uses gas carts. Their resale value will soon be about the same as a picture tube TV. Electric is 10 times less expensive per mile and 100x less polluting.

4 years ago I bought a 2011 Star Cart and replaced the batteries with lithium and have been thrilled with the results.

Buy gas only if you need to spend all day driving your cart ... or if you are very old fashioned.

Last edited by biker1; 02-05-2024 at 07:31 AM.
Old 02-05-2024, 07:30 AM

Agree that you are overthinking it. I was going to buy new a couple of months after we moved in but my wife heard through the grapevine that a couple with two carts was thinking about getting rid of one of them. So, instead of paying $10,000+, I picked up a very nice used one for $3,500. After a couple of years of trouble-free service I plan to replace the front wheel bearings this spring. I can do it myself but will probably hire a mobile tech several of my neighbors have used. It was bought new from the Club Car dealer on 441 in Lady Lake. I dropped by to talk to them about it and they assured me it was good to go.
Old 02-05-2024, 07:42 AM

If you want the best value for you money... You can actually pick up a deal on a really good used electric cart with old batteries and then simply have someone do a lithium battery conversion.

Most lithium batteries come with a 8-10 warranty and are actually projected to last closer to 12-15 years with essentially zero maintenance.

Bo's Buggies does a great job and is very reasonable.
Old 02-05-2024, 07:58 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,044 Times in 731 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICH1 View Post
you will be very sorry if you buy Electric!

A New Gas Yamaha is the way to go,
it's a One time purchase, you will change oil as required and Enjoy the Reliability of a Yamaha
A lot of older folks prefer the Gasoline carts. The vibration and noise helps keep them awake and alert. It's way too easy to fall asleep in a silent, electric cart.
Old 02-05-2024, 08:16 AM

The only thing I would add is - if you are going to spend a lot of time in your cart buy one with either a Sleekline or Curtis cab
Old 02-05-2024, 08:20 AM

Reading this by now you think it’s probably a coin flip electric versus gas cart. We have a 2010 gas Yamaha came with the house also bought a refurbished 2020 Gass Yamaha. Newer cart little quieter, smoother ride. Your biggest decision next is what color and do I buy the upgraded seats which I suggest you do. Good luck and happy trails!
Old 02-05-2024, 08:22 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coop63 View Post
Trying to understand whether it makes sense to start out my village journey with a new or used Golf cart, electric or gas? My sense tells me to buy used until I have a better sense of what I will need it for, other than golf and the occasional leisurely rides to the town squares. I am not retired yet so will probably drive to stores if it’s faster. It seems like electric carts would depreciate faster given the steady decline of the battery.

If I go with a gas cart, how many miles do these things run on average before repairs become more frequent? Would like a general idea of when to buy and sell, to minimize depreciation and breakdowns. Looking for the proverbial Goldilocks zone.

Based on my recent visit, Yamaha seems like the most popular gas power cart in the Villages??

I am interested in all opinions. I have no basis for making a decision yet. Thanks in advanced.
Electric carts are very hard to come by. I did a search of used carts and out of 7 pages of used carts at TOTV I only found 4 that were lithium. Given that 40% of carts sold in the villages are now electric it appears electric owners are keeping theirs.
Resale value equals supply and demand...I think thats what you were looking for.
Old 02-05-2024, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
Maybe true for lead acid batteries but not true for lithium. My lithium battery came with an eight year warranty; I expect it to last 12 years or more and I'll likely have a new cart by then.
So then comes the big question: What will be the resale value of your lithium cart when it needs batteries, and you want to sell it? Might even be very hard to sell...
Old 02-05-2024, 08:40 AM

I prefer gas. Easy to maintain and no worry about the cost of battery replacement. The length of the drive in The Villages is getting longer and longer. Personally, I don't want to worry about running out of juice, but at the end of the day it is a personal preference. I vote for new. You never know how a used cart has been taken care of or if it has been abused...again, personal preference. Of course I won't but a used car either for the same reason...
Old 02-05-2024, 08:44 AM
Default Golf cart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coop63 View Post
Trying to understand whether it makes sense to start out myvillage journey with a new or used Golf cart, electric or gas? My sense tells me to buy used until I have a better sense of what I will need it for, other than golf and the occasional leisurely rides to the town squares. I am not retired yet so will probably drive to stores if it’s faster. It seems like electric carts would depreciate faster given the steady decline of the battery.

If I go with a gas cart, how many miles do these things run on average before repairs become more frequent? Would like a general idea of when to buy and sell, to minimize depreciation and breakdowns. Looking for the proverbial Goldilocks

Based on my recent visit, Yamaha seems like the most popular gas power cart in the Villages??

I am interested in all opinions. I have no basis for making a decision yet. Thanks in advanced.
I have a really nice cart for sale, perfect for a new user TOMBERLIN
2017. New tires, 2 yr batteries..clean great ride. Contact bud to see 973-997-9106
Lots of extras.
Old 02-05-2024, 08:52 AM

flip a coin
Old 02-05-2024, 09:11 AM

Yamaha hydrogen engine -IWATA, January 25, 2024 - Yamaha Motor Co., Ltd. (Tokyo: 7272) is pleased to announce that Yamaha Golf-Car Company (YGC), a consolidated subsidiary of the Yamaha Motor Corporation that also sells golf cars in the United States, developed a hydrogen powered engine golf car concept model, the DRIVE H2. The concept model is the first of its kind and is currently on display at the PGA Show* in Orlando, Florida, one of the golf industry's largest events.

The DRIVE H2 is based on Yamaha's DRIVE2 CONCIERGE4, a four-seater golf car sold mainly in the United States, but also around the world. Hydrogen engines are internal combustion engines that can make use of existing technologies and at the same time do not emit CO2 during the combustion process. For this reason, Yamaha is conducting research and development of this technology as it has the potential to achieve both the continued use of internal combustion engines and decarbonization.

DRIVE H2 is equipped with two high-pressure hydrogen tanks (25L each) positioned under the driver's seat and on the back of the rear seat.

To date, Yamaha has announced concept models equipped with hydrogen engines, including generators and ROVs, and now the DRIVE H2. By exhibiting at this event, Yamaha promotes its efforts toward achieving decarbonization.
Old 02-05-2024, 09:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,068 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrf0151 View Post
So then comes the big question: What will be the resale value of your lithium cart when it needs batteries, and you want to sell it? Might even be very hard to sell...
Not even a consideration. Will likely get a new cart long before batteries are required, electric carts are in demand so driving price up, and if I got $0 out of it I would still be happy.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 02-05-2024, 09:34 AM

We chose to buy a new gas Yamaha cart in 2001. It's still running strong, oil change every 2 years, 3 sets of new tires, 1 set of new belts and that's it. We drive the cart every day for errands and visiting friends. I can tell you that if/when it finally needs major repairs, although we've been told that will probably be many years from now, we will buy another new Yamaha gas cart. Buy new tricked out exactly as you want, take good care of it, and you'll be happy with it as long as you chose to own it.

Tags
gas, cart, sense, golf, electric

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.