Diagnosing Battery Problems

Closed Thread
Old 01-17-2011, 06:48 PM
Bosoxfan
Default Diagnosing Battery Problems

Can someone tell me the way to check to see if you have a bad battery or more than one?I have a 2010 Ez Go RXV with 4 -12 volt Trojan T-1260 plus batteries.I just recently had the cart in for service because the gauge dropped from halfway to zero and went into creeping mode real quick.The diagnosis was one of the batteries was bad.They had to run the batteries down to find this out,I don't understand why this is required.When I put my multi-meter on the batteries when they are charged it tells me if I'm getting the correct voltage.Can someone tell me what test the dealer runs with rundown batteries?
On another topic why would I be having problems when the cart is just about 18 months old? My dealer (Town & Country) says I use it too much! He told me I'm putting too many miles & hours on it.He says you got to understand golf carts are made to be on the golf courses and aren't capable of handling the way they're used in the Villages.Funny when I was buying it none of this came out.I was told I could get 60 miles on a charge.Then he said because I live in the hilliest section of the villlages I should expect less miles.So I was happy with getting 45 miles on a charge,Now that I'm having these problems I'm lucky if I get 30 miles on a charge.When they replaced one battery a couple weeks ago he said he'd get it in under warranty but to expect to be replacing all 4 in the near future .He said when one goes the others are right behind.He quoted me $720 for 4 batteries (an upgraded battery).I will say that if this cart got the miles promised(or close to) it would be hard to find one better.It's smooth,doesn't loose power uphill & doesn't get passed by many others.It tops out at 22.9 m.p.h.
I wish all the folks out there that bought an EZ Go with these promises & have had the problems ,would get together & see if we can get something done about this!!
Old 01-17-2011, 06:58 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default ezgo range issue

bosox, i have seen this type of problem expressed several times in previous threads, i agree you should get together with other people with same problem and approach EZGO as a group...gn
Old 01-17-2011, 07:41 PM
Sage
Default So many things in original post

A good way to check your batteries is with a hydrometer. Ace sells a good one here: http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...ductId=1292142

A dealer will run a discharge test. A bad battery will show signs of failure during this test. Google around for discharge test.

When you say you are getting the correct voltage, you mean the pack or individual batteries? What are the voltages after charging of each battery and letting the cart sit for 6+ hours?

As far as the EZGO sales, when I was told 4-12V batteries would go 60 miles I laughed out loud, the guy then claimed his Mom got 73 miles. I said the AC motor must be really efficient! IMO, the problem is that people run their batteries down to a state of charge less than 80% way too often. In addition they do not break the batteries in properly. I doubt the dealer does this and we get our cart and off we go. You should "never" run your pack to less than 50% of charge. Over time this will really affect the life of the pack.

As an example I know my CC rebuilt to handle 8-6V batteries will go 60 miles, possibly more. The reality is that is it is at 50% of charge at 45'ish miles. I would "never" run it down more than that. I do not know off hand the amp hours for 4-12V batteries or how far you should drive to discharge less than 50% (MAX).

As I have always said I love the performance of the EZGO, but I really hated the fact they could not have designed it to take 6-8v or 8-6v.

I have to run before my thoughts are complete, but I always wondered how they could put adds in the paper for 60 miles. Maybe this is a tack the group could take against the company.

BTW, do they all have 48-12V reducers in them for accessories?

good luck, hope My ramblings made any sense,I am in a hurry.

Last edited by ajbrown; 01-17-2011 at 08:28 PM. Reason: fast typin no thinkin
Old 01-17-2011, 09:30 PM
Sage

AJ, I've got to ask about your recommendation to not run down the batteries lower than about 50%. My dealer says the opposite, i.e., I get fewer miles than advertised because I don't run the batteries down low and then recharge fully. He claims that the digital gauge on the cart "remembers" the amount of discharge before recharging and then uses that as the 0% charge level. Therefore it shows a more rapid discharge than is really happening. Is this the break-in you refer to? Or am I getting BS?
Old 01-17-2011, 10:09 PM

Bosoxfan,
I am having the exact same problem as you. My cart is at Town & Country right now. A few weeks ago it went into crawl mode after leaving Lopez and not making it to Amelia. T&C said they changed a "filter". Not sure what that is. A week later it went into crawl mode again not making it from Lopez to Amelia. Actually strarted crawling before Mallory Square. That time they said I had a bad battery. This week it didn't make it back from Orange Blossom on Friday and then again from Lopez on Sunday. Took it to T&C today and they told me it wasn't a battery this time and will let me know tomorrow what it is. I am actually thinking of trading it in for a gas Yamaha. It will cost me about $3000 more to do it but it may be worth the peace of mind. I don't believe T&C have any idea what is going on with these carts and either does EZ GO. I know I will be going back to replace the other batteries soon and I'm tired of going there. I've been back 5 times in 14 months. I even had a roof leak in it. I don't believe we will get any satisfaction from T&C or EZ Go.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:13 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeod View Post
AJ, I've got to ask about your recommendation to not run down the batteries lower than about 50%. My dealer says the opposite, i.e., I get fewer miles than advertised because I don't run the batteries down low and then recharge fully. He claims that the digital gauge on the cart "remembers" the amount of discharge before recharging and then uses that as the 0% charge level. Therefore it shows a more rapid discharge than is really happening. Is this the break-in you refer to? Or am I getting BS?
I want to be clear, I am not a professional cart person, my experience is limited to rebuidling/maintaining my carts and reading, so caveat reader.

Trojan battery provides a pretty good site:
http://www.trojanbattery.com/Tech-Su...intenance.aspx

Mike: Select "Discharging" and have a discussion with your dealer . I do not understand what he meant by your gauge having memory, so I cannot comment there.

BoSox: Check out the testing section, which includes a state of charge chart. Also refer to the user's guide (section 7):
http://www.trojanbattery.com/pdf/UsersGuide_English.pdf
The other night I pushed my cart harder than I like, I live off of Murphey's Estate in Mallory. I went to Orange Blossom, played 18, came home, then went to my Dad's (past Chatham Rec center) for the Pats game and came home with lights on. This must be close to 40 miles and the voltage of the pack at the end was 48.2. This is as low as I would ever take my cart unless an emergency.

Another maintenance site:
http://www.usbattery.com/usb_care_maint.html

Some information I got regarding new battery break in:

NEW BATTERY BREAK-IN PROCEDURE:Following proper break-in procedure can increase the strength and the useful life span of your new batteries. New batteries are initially about 75% of their full strength. The following procedure will insure they reach their full potential.
The 1st 10 to 20 complete charge/discharge cycles are critical to insure they reach 100%. New batteries should be charged before use and thereafter as follows:
Plug the charger in and leave it alone until charger shuts off by itself. Then drive to discharge the batteries to 75% battery pack capacity (see chart) Plug the cart back in and repeat the charge cycle.......It is very important you let it charge until it is completely done. Repeat this for the first 10 - 20 cycles......by the 12th cycle you will notice a difference in power, speed, and run-time.........I have never had a customer say they have not noticed the increase.
Most importantly, NEVER run the battery pack down below 50% of capacity throughout their entire life. Never leave the batteries in a state of discharge for extended periods of time. Recharge the pack once a week if the cart is sitting idle or in storage. And when in doubt, recharge it.
During the break-in procedure, keep an eye on the water levels (use distilled water only). I have seen it take 12 hours or better for the 1st few Charging times. These extended charge cycles may evaporate some of the distilled water.
As the batteries break in you will notice the charge time gets shorter. Eventually going from 12 to 5-6 hours per recharge.
Old 01-18-2011, 08:16 AM
Sage
Default Another battery link

Here is a link I forgot I had saved. Nice overview of terms for electric cart owners.

http://www.windsun.com/Batteries/Battery_FAQ.htm

PS. I have been contemplating an AC conversion for a Club Car if the prices come down, but if you want to give away one of these EZGO RXVs let me know
Old 01-18-2011, 08:46 AM

We have a 2009 EZGO which we purchased new from Town and Country Feb 09. For the first 9 months it was great...then the problems started. After going from Hemingway to Glenview CC, playing golf, stopping to visit friends, driving home with lights on, cart went into slow mode and gauge went from over half to empty in split second. Took back to T&C and first they supposedly fixed the gauge then the next time it happened they checked the batteries and said could not figure out which battery was bad. Third time back they put in a part called a converter/spreader which spreads out battery use when lights are on. Few months ago the same issue again....now they have replaced one battery. Did not tell us anything about other batteries being close behind. Kyle still maintains we should be getting 50-60 miles. I really wish we bought a gas cart...don't trust this one anymore.

P.S. - also from Massachusetts - N. Chelmsford
Old 01-18-2011, 08:52 AM
Sage
Default Curious about voltage

Has anyone ever measured the voltage when this failure happens? I am wondering what is the voltage of the whole pack, and what is the voltage of each battery?
Old 01-18-2011, 09:20 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

All of this just reminds me once again why I bought a gas Yamaha. I like my Club Car electric for quiet and smooth going for a second cart, but when it goes, it will be replaced with another gas Yamaha.
Old 01-18-2011, 03:10 PM
Bosoxfan

Thanks for all your responses..
Old 01-19-2011, 09:50 AM
Bosoxfan

If somehow I could :break even" sell my cart & find a gas cart in great condition for what I sell my electric forI'd do it in a heart beat!
Old 02-24-2012, 02:06 PM
Location: Augusta, GA, West Germany, France, Aurora, Colorado, Lexington, Virginia, Cooper City, FL, Villages
Default Battery care techniques are crucial for long life

I also began to experience problems with battery performance after two years and light use on a E-Z-Go Freedom RXV. So, I did some basic research since my long career in the Army Signal Corps using lead acid batteries had lead me to believe some things that aren't true with modern golf cart batteries.

Below are some industry and specifically, E-Z-Go tips which answer many of the problems described, especially if you believe you shouldn't charge frequently to avoid over charging or limiting the number of charges rated for the life of a particular battery, or the mistaken concept of notorious susceptibility to the "memorization effect" if you constantly charge after light use, and finally, the myth with modern golf cart batteries that you need to deplete battery capacity (through use) to low levels and then perform a complete charge to "reform" the battery capacitance. And of course there are the often fault practices associated with plain old care, which specifically means when to add water, how to add water and whether to add water after charging or as needed. Kyle at T & C told me much of this when I purchased two years ago..but I ignored a lot of it as I was sure my long experience with lead acid batteries trumped his. I've found his and BJ's advice & customer service to be top-notch.

Here are some answers:

Deep Cycle Battery FAQ

Be sure to read Cycles vs Life, Battery Aging, and Mini-Factoids, located toward the bottom of the reference article.

Here is the link provided by E-Z-Go's Battery Maintenance Center:

Battery Charging

At the bottom of each page, keep clicking to step through the tips.

Lastly..ever hear of "Equalization Charge"? I hadn't.

Equalization Charging

Don't be surprised at what you learn as to what you thought. Hope this helps those of you who are frustrated with your golf cart's battery "endurance".
Old 08-28-2013, 08:58 PM

I own the EZGO but I upgraded to 6 8volt batteries. They will give yoiu more range.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.