Do cart riders agree with this?

Closed Thread
Old 02-04-2016, 08:09 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,682 Times in 632 Posts
Default Do cart riders agree with this?

On a road with a cart path on the right side, it appears that people driving a car have a hard time turning right when a person driving a cart wants to go straight. This is what some people were told to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VillagesFlorida View Post
We drive the intersection at Morse and San Marino almost daily. Concerned and wanting to do the right thing when in our car, hubby made two separate visits to the Sheriffs annex to find out the best way to deal with a right turn up San Marino. He was told twice to check for carts traveling south in the golf cart lane, yield to them if they are close. If they are back in the lane he was told to move over, essentially blocking the golf cart lane, then make the turn up San Marino.
In short, the person driving the car pulls into the cart lane to block any carts that want to go straight. Then they turn right.

Do you all agree with this?
Old 02-04-2016, 08:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,156 Times in 2,250 Posts

I try very hard to make sure there is not a cart CLOSE to me when making a right, if there is one, then I TURN ON MY TURN SIGNAL, move to the right so that the cart cannot get caught if they try to race me.
If it is TOO close, I will slow down and allow the cart to pass on the right, and then make my turn.
I would rather be safe, then be involved in an accident, and I am NOT in a hurry to get anywhere.
Old 02-04-2016, 08:42 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

I'm thinking if you follow what SCSO suggest to safely make a right turn you would not need to block off a golf cart.
Old 02-04-2016, 08:43 PM
Gold member
Default I agree 99.9%...

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
I try very hard to make sure there is not a cart CLOSE to me when making a right, if there is one, then I TURN ON MY TURN SIGNAL, move to the right so that the cart cannot get caught if they try to race me.
If it is TOO close, I will slow down and allow the cart to pass on the right, and then make my turn.
I would rather be safe, then be involved in an accident, and I am NOT in a hurry to get anywhere.
as you never ever know when you might be in a hurry(emergencies don't always announce themselves so you can take your time), but I know what you mean.
Old 02-04-2016, 08:47 PM
Sage

I think you did the smartest thing a person could do. You ask the Sheriff and then go back and ask him again to make sure you heard it right the first time.

That's how I'll do it when I'm driving. Before now I would stop my car, possibly holding up traffic until I'm positive there is no cart anywhere near me before making a right. Like Village Tink said I'm in no hurry either.

We have a right turn at the bottom of a hill off a busy road (Odell Circle). It is not difficult to judge if there is enough time/space to get past and safely turn in front of a cart. Usually, I slow down with my right turn signal on and stay back enough to let the cart driver know I'll wait for him to pass the intersection before I turn. There is no need to drag race a golf cart!
Sage
Thanked 6,156 Times in 2,250 Posts

Also, when driving our cart, I always look out for cars turning in front on me.
Old 02-04-2016, 09:43 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VApeople View Post
On a road with a cart path on the right side, it appears that people driving a car have a hard time turning right when a person driving a cart wants to go straight. This is what some people were told to do.

In short, the person driving the car pulls into the cart lane to block any carts that want to go straight. Then they turn right.

Yes, the problem is that you are ahead of the cart and the cart is in your blind spot. Pulling over should be safer and I think it would agree with the law.

Last edited by rjm1cc; 02-06-2016 at 03:03 PM.
Old 02-04-2016, 09:44 PM
Sage

Quote:
The Sheriff is right. If a car is sitting in your diamond lane there is no confusion about their intention. It's a right turn.
Old 02-04-2016, 09:46 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Quote:
I understand that! In the 3 years we have lived here every day is a demonstration of defensive driving skills whether you are in a car or golf cart. Always look for the blitz!
Old 02-05-2016, 12:46 AM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Quote:

Why would anyone not agree with it?

Old 02-05-2016, 06:52 AM

Until now I have always stayed in the car lane when making a right turn,been doing this for 8 years.But I will change my routine and move over to the cart lane then make my right turn.It really does make sense.
Old 02-05-2016, 07:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

When I'm driving my golf cart I try not to run into any cars that are making a right hand turn. If there is a car with it's directional signal on, I wait for it to go by. If there is a car without a signal on, I slow down until I can determine the driver's intent. If I can't determine the driver's intent, I wait for the car to go past the intersection.

Cart drivers have to bear some responsibility as well. It's not rocket science.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 02-05-2016, 07:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

///

Last edited by graciegirl; 02-05-2016 at 08:11 AM.
Old 02-05-2016, 08:21 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
On a road with a cart path on the right side, it appears that people driving a car have a hard time turning right when a person driving a cart wants to go straight...The person driving the car pulls into the cart lane to block any carts that want to go straight. Then they turn right.
I would agree with that strategy, with one proviso: with the amount of traffic currently on main roads like Morse, long lines of cars often form at the traffic lights or behind someone turning left, so the car driver should be careful not to move across too early or the cart lane will come to a stand-still too. Having said that, I should prefer to wait in line behind a turning car than be side-swiped by it at the junction.
Closed Thread

Tags
cart, lane, car, driving, san, told, turn, marino, carts, golf, straight, people, person, agree, deal, block, traveling, south, check, yield, move, back, essentially, close, make

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.