Do golf carts have seat belts?

Old 01-27-2024, 10:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,068 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Town View Post
Just curious, why do you not have them?
They didn't come with one of our carts and we have yet to use them even once on the cart that does have them. I guess we're playing the odds while considering our driving abilities. We slow down for curves, watch for oncoming carts, don't turn in front of an automobile, and don't have health problems that would cause us to drive straight into a tunnel wall. We can't do anything about being broadsided by a car or truck but the odds of that are low and I wonder how much a belt would help in that situation anyway.

Could be a poor choice on our part, but it's the choice we are making.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normal View Post
We do have seatbelts on our cart. That said, we have used them likely less than a dozen times?

I ponder on the need. Do motorcycles have seat belts? Would I rather be tethered to a cart if I was hit by a truck? The seat belt issue kind of goes with the double standards of society’s laws. Like I can ride a bicycle almost anywhere even on the main road, but I can’t drive my golf cart there.
Since there is no external structure to protect them, most motorcyclists and bicyclists wear helmets to protect their skulls. Perhaps that should be a requirement for golf carts too.

Double standards often in the blurry eyes of those who behold them. Pedestrians and bicyclists have been allowed to use most public roadways since before automobiles or golf carts were invented. Conflating bicycles with golf carts ignores the obvious difference between them: one is human-powered and rarely reaches 20mph while the other is motorized and is frequently not limited to reach only 20mph. (E-bikes can be argued in another thread) There are different standards because bicycles and golf carts are significantly different vehicle types; seeing a double standard requires ignoring that.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 01-27-2024, 10:46 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,045 Times in 536 Posts
Default Yah, but…

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
They didn't come with one of our carts and we have yet to use them even once on the cart that does have them. I guess we're playing the odds while considering our driving abilities. We slow down for curves, watch for oncoming carts, don't turn in front of an automobile, and don't have health problems that would cause us to drive straight into a tunnel wall. We can't do anything about being broadsided by a car or truck but the odds of that are low and I wonder how much a belt would help in that situation anyway.

Could be a poor choice on our part, but it's the choice we are making.

Great points, but I rarely see golf carts with metal outer structure. Many are just plastic or fiberglass. It might be better to be thrown from a cart than sticking with it?

Since there is no external structure to protect them, most motorcyclists and bicyclists wear helmets to protect their skulls. Perhaps that should be a requirement for golf carts too.

Double standards often in the blurry eyes of those who behold them. Pedestrians and bicyclists have been allowed to use most public roadways since before automobiles or golf carts were invented. Conflating bicycles with golf carts ignores the obvious difference between them: one is human-powered and rarely reaches 20mph while the other is motorized and is frequently not limited to reach only 20mph. (E-bikes can be argued in another thread) There are different standards because bicycles and golf carts are significantly different vehicle types; seeing a double standard requires ignoring that.
Great points, but I rarely see golf carts with metal outer structure. Many are just plastic or fiberglass. It might be better to be thrown from a cart than sticking with it for the duration of the collision?

“ There are those who believe something, and therefore will tolerate nothing; and on the other hand, those who tolerate everything, because they believe nothing.” - Robert Browning
Old 02-08-2024, 09:19 AM
Default Seat Belts are necessary.

I was hit by a car in my golf cart. The golf cart overturned. My seat belt saved my life. I will not ride in a golf cart without a seatbelt. BTW, there is not enough time to jump out. It happens too quickly. Also, I could not jump because it flipped on the driver's side.

Tags
belts, seat, speed, lifestyle, visit

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.