Do golf carts have seat belts?

Old 01-24-2024, 09:30 PM
Default Do golf carts have seat belts?

Searching images, I see very few with seat belts.
This website suggests you must have them, if top speed is over 20: https://streetlegalgolfcartrentals.c...ar-a-seatbelt/
(During our Lifestyle Visit, we did not have belts.)
Old 01-24-2024, 09:39 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts

Some carts have them and others do not. We do not have them on either of our carts. When buying new if they are not already installed it is easy to have them put in. They certainly are not required and the speed limit is 20 mph.
Old 01-24-2024, 09:42 PM

The multi modal paths are not considered streets so no need for street legal outfitting including the seat belts, license plate and or slow moving vehicle sign, etc as shown in the video link you provided. Seeing at least one post today about people passing other carts while others are oncoming you might want them, LOL
Old 01-24-2024, 10:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,068 Posts

In Florida, golf carts cannot exceed 20mph and do not require seat belts.

If the vehicle can exceed 20mph but not 25mph then it is considered to be a Low Speed Vehicle (LSV). Certain safety equipment is required for an LSV which may include seat belts.

If the vehicle can exceed 25mph then it falls into a different category.

Most golf carts do not have seat belts but many do. Some drivers would not operate one without seat belts. Many golf cart fatalities result from the driver being ejected from the cart and hitting their head - something a seat belt might prevent.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 01-24-2024, 10:18 PM

I have them in my Quitech, I think they were a $100 option....I don't always use them, but I'm glad they are there. My wife always buckles up.
Old 01-24-2024, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MplsPete View Post
This website suggests you must have them, if top speed is over 20: https://streetlegalgolfcartrentals.c...ar-a-seatbelt/
When we bought our cart my husband asked me about speed and seat belts. (he was in TV and I’m home) I was confused. The place you purchase the cart from asks you where you want the speed set? Mind blown. These are GOLF CARTS. Meaning not built to be side-by-sides/ATV’s 🤷🏻*♀️ So yeah I said no……no no no….. Do not have them set his cart so it can go faster. Of course poor guy was sad but really? How stupid/unsafe is speeding in a tiny little cart BUILT for slow speed on a golf course? And aren’t we retired? Am I taking crazy pills? Now that we’ve had our house there for a year and a half I can tell you: A: if you drive the speed limit YOU are the problem. B: seatbelts are a unicorn. C: if you get mashed by the friendliest people your seatbelt probably won’t help. Just drive defensively and try not to let the friendliest people affect your retirement plans. Like they have mine. Stillllllllll in cold snowy Utah with a house in TV. #snowflake?
Old 01-24-2024, 10:45 PM
Thanked 1,120 Times in 246 Posts

Quote:
Traffic laws are ONLY enforceable for golf cart lanes that are a physical part of the public roadways but the stop signs & speed limits in store parking lots, HOA’s and private property like the MMP's are not legally enforceable pursuant to Florida Statute 316.006. This was confirmed to me by a Captain of the Wildwood Police Department who stated, "The Wildwood Police Department does not have enforcement for traffic on the multi-modal paths, which are strictly on the Village's property."
Therefore, traffic laws including stop signs, speed limits, & seat belt laws, on the multi-modal paths are not enforceable.
Old 01-25-2024, 03:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,372 Times in 2,518 Posts

It should be mandatory, same with any powered vehicle.
Also, motor cyclists, and bicyclists, should also be made to wear helmets.
It protects the dumbos from themselves!
Old 01-25-2024, 05:02 AM
Default I recommend seat belts

Whether they are required or not, I recommend seat belts. There are many bad drivers out there. I have had several close calls where I had to brake hard or swerve to avoid an accident caused by someone else. Even at 15mph if you collide or roll over and hit your head or get your arm smashed it is going to hurt. I didn't wear them at first, but after so many incidents I do now and ask my passenger to do so also. I also put the arm rest down when not on the golf course. This helps to hold you in place if you swerve hard, even by mistake. Good Luck and HAVE FUN!
Old 01-25-2024, 05:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Have them but only use on a long ride. Short ride and definitely not on the course we don’t use them.

However one of our neighbor had a disabled adult, that fell out of cart sitting on the golf course. Serious issues from the fall, seatbelt would have solved that.

Can’t quote but you will see many seatbelts not used, my guess is that drove a car in their youth without why have them in a cart
Old 01-25-2024, 06:07 AM

Seat belts in golf carts…..they should be standard equipment….people are careless. Have always been, will always be.

Last edited by Pondboy; 01-25-2024 at 07:00 AM.
Old 01-25-2024, 06:19 AM

I don't drive farther than our mail box without a seat belt. Too many distracted drivers here.
Old 01-25-2024, 07:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts

Quote:
"Based on CPSC statistics, roughly 40% of golf car accidents involve a person falling out of the car, and many of these accidents involve young children. In addition to ejection accidents, approximately 10% of golf car accidents involve a rollover and statistics indicate that such accidents are roughly twice as likely to lead to injuries requiring a hospital stay as non-rollover accidents." ("Golf Cart Occupant Ejections" Technology Associates Website)

Our cart didn't have seat belts when we bought it, but Amazon has one-size-fits-most seat belt kits (I think I paid $45) and a half hour with a drill and a wrench did the trick. We always wear them when traveling in the cart.
Old 01-25-2024, 07:25 AM
Gold member

Quote:
You can get them for your carts & probably should.
Old 01-25-2024, 07:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post

It should be mandatory, same with any powered vehicle.
Also, motor cyclists, and bicyclists, should also be made to wear helmets.
It protects the dumbos from themselves!
Agree that manufacturers should be mandated to install seat belts in golf carts but whether or not people choose to them (or helmets on bicycles or motorcycles) should be left up to them. I rode motorcycles for many years prior to my move to TV and always wore a helmet. I have two brothers on the other hand who have ridden for as long or longer and never wear helmets. We all knew the risks.

Tags
belts, seat, speed, lifestyle, visit

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.