Do golf carts have seat belts?

Old 01-25-2024, 08:26 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,195 Times in 761 Posts

They are not required, but I won't go anywhere without using them. You can have them installed if you don't have them, a wise move.
Old 01-25-2024, 09:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,515 Times in 3,106 Posts

My husband's Yamaha doesn't have them. My Club Car does. I use mine. Too many cart drivers have carts because they lost their license to drive a car. If their family/doctor/the state can't trust them behind the wheel of a car, then I think I'm justified in wanting extra caution, knowing that those same people are behind the wheel of a golf cart.
Old 01-25-2024, 09:38 AM

Most comments refer to the driver. At least the driver has the steering wheel but not much for passengers to hang on. More important is the passengers. A fall results in hitting your head. A quick left turn ejected a friend. Caught my wife asleep which is a sure way to fall out. I immediately installed seat belts. Might even be a liability risk.
Old 01-25-2024, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MplsPete View Post
Searching images, I see very few with seat belts.
This website suggests you must have them, if top speed is over 20: https://streetlegalgolfcartrentals.c...ar-a-seatbelt/
()
They can be installed for about $160 parts and labor. During our lifestyle visit we had a cart without belts. My wife hit the breaks going around a corner and I nearly slid out. If you would use a seat belt during a 5-10 mile drive in your car, then you should use a seat belt in a 10 mile ride in a cart. In a car you are protected on all 4 sides- yet you wear a seat belt. In a cart you have Zero protection. If your 20 mile per hour cart is hit by another 20 mile per hour cart head-on that's a 40 mile per hour crash with no seat belt. Enough said.
Old 01-25-2024, 11:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

Quote:
This website suggests you must have them, if top speed is over 20: https://streetlegalgolfcartrentals.c...ar-a-seatbelt/
(During our Lifestyle Visit, we did not have belts.)
It and accessory added just like lights, sun roofs, 10 inch wheels dash with locking glove boxed, rear seats ect….
Old 01-25-2024, 11:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pondboy View Post
Seat belts in golf carts…..they should be standard equipment….people are careless. Have always been, will always be.

Just cause they are there don’t mean they will use them. Some people won’t use seat belts in cars cause the rug their shoulders or pinch their bellies. And no I am NOT one of them, but know few that don’t.
Old 01-26-2024, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Ours did not come with seat belts but we recently had them installed and we use them everywhere except the golf course. We didn’t live this long to finally make it to retirement to get injured because of not wearing them. There are some really bad golf cart drivers out there!
Old 01-26-2024, 07:39 AM

My best friend's wife rolled their golf cart and fortunately had belts.
Immediately thereafter, I had them installed in my 10 years old Yamaha.
Old 01-26-2024, 08:09 AM

Quote:
They can be added at The Villages Golf Cart shops. When we got our cart back in 2011 my wife insisted that for our anniversary she wanted seat belts installed after the fact. She got them. I frankly don't like driving without them anymore.
Old 01-26-2024, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah Flyfisher View Post
When we bought our cart my husband asked me about speed and seat belts. (he was in TV and I’m home) I was confused. The place you purchase the cart from asks you where you want the speed set? Mind blown. These are GOLF CARTS. Meaning not built to be side-by-sides/ATV’s ������������*♀️ So yeah I said no……no no no….. Do not have them set his cart so it can go faster. Of course poor guy was sad but really? How stupid/unsafe is speeding in a tiny little cart BUILT for slow speed on a golf course? And aren’t we retired? Am I taking crazy pills? Now that we’ve had our house there for a year and a half I can tell you: A: if you drive the speed limit YOU are the problem. B: seatbelts are a unicorn. C: if you get mashed by the friendliest people your seatbelt probably won’t help. Just drive defensively and try not to let the friendliest people affect your retirement plans. Like they have mine. Stillllllllll in cold snowy Utah with a house in TV. #snowflake?

There was a story in the Villages News a couple of days ago about two people in a golf cart without seatbelts who hit a car and got head injuries because they went through the golf cart wind shield as a result of the crash. 20 mph sounds slow but when you hit something solid or moving at the right angle your goft cart can be very dangerous without seat belts. On another note, we also hear the story of the man and wife leaving Brownwood drunk and the husband makes a turn too sharp and the wife is ejected from the cart becasue there were no seat belts only to hit her head and die or get some other serious injury. And using the arm rest to keep you in the cart will not work either. That will snap like a toothpick during a very sharp turn or a collision.
Old 01-26-2024, 08:16 AM
Veteran member

people die in golf cart accidents. This is a no brainer. Do you want to live or die?
Old 01-26-2024, 08:25 AM
Default belts

Can be added and new option there have been people that flipped the cart due to speed and curb and hit head to get brain damage

Going downhill 20 hit breaks fast the cart gets squirrely and flips I friend broke his arm
Old 01-26-2024, 08:50 AM

Newton's laws are enforced everywhere. If your cart does not have them, it would be smart to install them and use them.
Old 01-26-2024, 09:01 AM

Unless there is a memorandum of agreement in place between the owner, in this case the Villages, and the policing agency wherein the owner agrees to allow the policing agency access for the purpose of enforcement.
Old 01-26-2024, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Although not required, seatbelts on golf carts are a good idea. Most injuries happen when the driver or passenger is thrown from the cart in a collision.

Tags
belts, seat, speed, lifestyle, visit

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.