Do golf carts have seat belts?

Old 01-26-2024, 09:18 AM

Why wouldn't you want seatbelts in a vehicle with basically no protection? Our golf carts don't move until everyone is buckled. Read the accidents where occupant(s) are thrown out.
Old 01-26-2024, 09:25 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdallas View Post
Traffic laws are ONLY enforceable for golf cart lanes that are a physical part of the public roadways but the stop signs & speed limits in store parking lots, HOA’s and private property like the MMP's are not legally enforceable pursuant to Florida Statute 316.006. This was confirmed to me by a Captain of the Wildwood Police Department who stated, "The Wildwood Police Department does not have enforcement for traffic on the multi-modal paths, which are strictly on the Village's property."
Therefore, traffic laws including stop signs, speed limits, & seat belt laws, on the multi-modal paths are not enforceable.
Important to note that street legal carts are not allowed on multi-modal paths. So, a mute point. But, for golf carts, a multi-modal cannot generally be reached without use of public roads. So, speed capability will be enforceable.
Old 01-26-2024, 09:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,068 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indydealmaker View Post
Important to note that street legal carts are not allowed on multi-modal paths. So, a mute point. But, for golf carts, a multi-modal cannot generally be reached without use of public roads. So, speed capability will be enforceable.
Where did you get that idea?

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 01-26-2024, 09:42 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
Where did you get that idea?
Street legals are legally Low Speed Vehicles. Vehicles are not allowed on multi-modal paths per The Villages website.
Old 01-26-2024, 09:44 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,076 Times in 432 Posts

We have seat belts in both of our carts, and wouldn't think of not using them. I have personal knowledge of 4 golf cart wrecks where the driver and passenger were not wearing seat belts. These 4 crashes had the following in common: 1. All were single cart crashes involving colliding with a fixed object. 2. All were relatively slow speed crashes, well under 20mpn. 3. All involved the driver and/or passenger being ejected from the golf cart. 4. All resulted in serious head trauma to the victim, requiring hospitalization.

There are no doubt countless other examples. We are all adults here, and certainly free to make our own choices. I choose being safe.
Old 01-26-2024, 10:01 AM
Default Enforceable?

Quote:
Unless there is a memorandum of agreement in place between the owner, in this case the Villages, and the policing agency wherein the owner agrees to allow the policing agency access for the purpose of enforcement.

Also, there is a difference between capable of more than 20 mph and doing more than 20 mph. E.g. going downhill capable of 20 mph and doing 23 mph.
Old 01-26-2024, 10:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,068 Posts

Quote:
Street legals are legally Low Speed Vehicles. Vehicles are not allowed on multi-modal paths per The Villages website.
Legally, golf carts are vehicles as well. Street-legal golf carts (or low-speed vehicles) are still golf carts. Both are allowed on the MMPs.

From the Florida Statutes (emphasis added):

Section 316: GOLF CART.—A motor vehicle designed and manufactured for operation on a golf course for sporting or recreational purposes.

Section 320:
“Golf cart” means a motor vehicle that is designed and manufactured for operation on a golf course for sporting or recreational purposes and that is not capable of exceeding speeds of 20 miles per hour.

“Low-speed vehicle” means any four-wheeled vehicle whose top speed is greater than 20 miles per hour but not greater than 25 miles per hour, including, but not limited to, neighborhood electric vehicles.

From a July 2010 Memorandum from District Council to the District Manager concerning Multi-Modal Path usage:

Although, a golf cart can be made "street legal" upon meeting certain statutory operational and safety requirements allowing it be operated upon certain public roads it is my opinion that a street legal golf cart is still a "golf cart" for purposes of the D.O.s and is authorized by the D.O.s to utilize the paths. The D.O.s expressly allow golf carts on the districts' paths and do not make a distinction between street legal and non-street legal.

And

In view of the forgoing, a strong argument and fair interpretation of the intent of the D.O.s is that LS V's are a type of vehicle that fit within the definition of "golf cart" for purposes of establishing the permitted uses of the multi-modal paths.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 01-26-2024, 10:05 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MplsPete View Post
Searching images, I see very few with seat belts.
This website suggests you must have them, if top speed is over 20: https://streetlegalgolfcartrentals.c...ar-a-seatbelt/
(During our Lifestyle Visit, we did not have belts.)
I installed a set on my “turf legal” golf cart. Get the airline style with the buckle in the middle.
If the device you drive goes more than 20 mph, it is not a golf cart, but is a Low Speed Vehicle and you need a lot more than seatbelts to be “street legal”. Ask any Sheriff’s deputy.
Old 01-26-2024, 12:09 PM

Quote:
This website suggests you must have them, if top speed is over 20: https://streetlegalgolfcartrentals.c...ar-a-seatbelt/
Too many one golf cart accidents here because drivers are distracted. The problem is when you hit something, you get thrown from the cart, hit your head and most likely die. If you wear a seatbelt, you may get scraped up, but it’s unlikely you’ll hit your head.
Old 01-26-2024, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdallas View Post
Traffic laws are ONLY enforceable for golf cart lanes that are a physical part of the public roadways but the stop signs & speed limits in store parking lots, HOA’s and private property like the MMP's are not legally enforceable pursuant to Florida Statute 316.006. This was confirmed to me by a Captain of the Wildwood Police Department who stated, "The Wildwood Police Department does not have enforcement for traffic on the multi-modal paths, which are strictly on the Village's property."
Therefore, traffic laws including stop signs, speed limits, & seat belt laws, on the multi-modal paths are not enforceable.
All true. However, if on the way to that MMP you drive on a neighborhood street, or in the golf cart lane of a secondary street, then you are indeed subject to the laws. The local police have issued tickets for failure to stop at a stop sign, speeding (i.e, over 20mph), and operating a non-licensed Low Speed Vehicle (i.e. for operating a normal golf cart over 20mph, thereby proving that it is subject to the LSV requirements). That last one can get rather expensive.
Old 01-26-2024, 12:51 PM

Three point Seat belt (shoulder loop). Do not want to be tossed. Always buckled.
Old 01-26-2024, 07:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,520 Times in 3,108 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexterconfetti View Post
Three point Seat belt (shoulder loop). Do not want to be tossed. Always buckled.
Most golf carts don't have frames that will support a shoulder belt.
Old 01-27-2024, 02:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlingal View Post
people die in golf cart accidents. This is a no brainer. Do you want to live or die?

People die in all forms accidents, but I agree it’s safer and reduces chances of bad injuries.
Old 01-27-2024, 09:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garywt View Post
Some carts have them and others do not. We do not have them on either of our carts. When buying new if they are not already installed it is easy to have them put in. They certainly are not required and the speed limit is 20 mph.
Just curious, why do you not have them?
Old 01-27-2024, 09:41 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,045 Times in 536 Posts
Default Life’s Double Standard’s

Quote:
We do have seatbelts on our cart. That said, we have used them likely less than a dozen times?

I ponder on the need. Do motorcycles have seat belts? Would I rather be tethered to a cart if I was hit by a truck? The seat belt issue kind of goes with the double standards of society’s laws. Like I can ride a bicycle almost anywhere even on the main road, but I can’t drive my golf cart there.

“ There are those who believe something, and therefore will tolerate nothing; and on the other hand, those who tolerate everything, because they believe nothing.” - Robert Browning

Tags
belts, seat, speed, lifestyle, visit

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.