Do You Like Your Gas Powered Club Car Brand Golf Cart?

Closed Thread
Old 05-22-2023, 02:44 PM
Default Do You Like Your Gas Powered Club Car Brand Golf Cart?

Do you have a late model Club Car brand golf cart? Have you also owned Yamaha? What is your opinion of each?

If you have an older Club Car, is your longevity and repair experience acceptable?

Thank you.

Old 05-22-2023, 03:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,520 Times in 3,108 Posts

We have one of each. I don't recall how old they are, we got them used. I think the Club Car is a 2016. It's a Precedent. The Yamaha is however many years ago it was, the year before they came up with the QuietTouch. Both of them work fine. The Club Car had to get a new volt regulator this past year, and got a new battery last year. We installed a USB charge port and speedometer to the Yamaha when we bought it in late 2019.

Other than that there's really nothing more to say about them. They do what they're supposed to do, exactly how they're supposed to do them.
Old 05-22-2023, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike3461 View Post
Do you have a late model Club Car brand golf cart? Have you also owned Yamaha? What is your opinion of each?

If you have an older Club Car, is your longevity and repair experience acceptable?

Thank you.

The club car seems much louder than the 2017 + Yamaha quiet tech.
Old 05-22-2023, 04:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,914 Times in 918 Posts

We have a Club Precedent electric lead acid battery.

I would not recommend relying SOLELY on an electric cart. If you run out of electricity for any reason, a tow is required. There aint no electron fill cap . . . Also the batteries do require monthly maintenance and have a life, . . $1500 to replace all the batteries at the current prices.

Likewise the max distance between the two is 10's of miles on a tankful/batteryful. A gas cart is good for long distance golf course travel, and simple cost to repair.

I personally will not buy a lithium ion battery due to the risk of fire. No matter how you spin it, if it catches fire, you can't put it out yourself as its a chemical fire, and very hot and very long burning
Old 05-22-2023, 04:38 PM

Quote:

Thank you.

I bought a CC Precedent new in 2008. I’ve replaced voltage regulator twice. I also had to replace front steering suspension bushings. Both repairs inexpensive DIY and not complicated. The 2008 CC has excellent Kawasaki engine with pressurized oil system with oil filter, which I think is better than Yamaha set up.
Bought new Yamaha 2018 Quiet Tech. No problems so far, but need to grease drive clutch frequently. I know multiple Villagers who have had issues with drive clutch. Front tire wear is also problematic due to toe-in. Suspension on Yamaha is more robust and better in my opinion than CC. Driving position and seat room much better than CC.
Old 05-22-2023, 06:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,276 Times in 4,296 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post
We have a Club Precedent electric lead acid battery.

I would not recommend relying SOLELY on an electric cart. If you run out of electricity for any reason, a tow is required. There aint no electron fill cap . . . Also the batteries do require monthly maintenance and have a life, . . $1500 to replace all the batteries at the current prices.

Likewise the max distance between the two is 10's of miles on a tankful/batteryful. A gas cart is good for long distance golf course travel, and simple cost to repair.

I personally will not buy a lithium ion battery due to the risk of fire. No matter how you spin it, if it catches fire, you can't put it out yourself as its a chemical fire, and very hot and very long burning
That might be why the OP specifically asked about the difference between "GAS powered" Club Cars and Yamahas...

-Tom Petty
Old 05-22-2023, 08:26 PM
Platinum member

I have a 2016 gas Club Car cart. I’ve replaced the battery twice and tires once. Mechanically nothing major. My only complaint is the noise. I think Club Car is “missing the boat” by not having a quieter engine. We also have an electric cart. I much prefer to take this cart when doing non-golf activities.
Old 05-23-2023, 12:27 AM

I have a gas 2016 Club Car Precedent and a gas 2014 Yamaha EFI. The main negative with the Club Car is the loud Subaru engine. You have to watch the bushings on the Club Car as they will affect tire wear. Top speed on the Club Car is 22 with 205/50-10 tires. I have bigger tires on the Yamaha and it has no problem getting up to 25. I have way more torque in the Club Car. I can easily chirp the tires (even when I do not want too).

Both vehicles have been reliable. Bushings and a motor mount for the Club Car. Multiple solenoids for the Yamaha. Just today my new 2023 Yamaha showed up at Country Village Power. Once it is all put together, the Club Car will become the daughters.
Old 05-23-2023, 01:00 AM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,759 Times in 757 Posts

Quote:

Thank you.

Have owned various makes over our life time, think our first one was used Harley Davidson, had a couple Yamaha's through the years, no negatives. But presently have Club Car, 18 years old, still looks like new, love the wide bench seat (did get custom marine vinyl for comfort of temperature). Maintenance has been very minimal, clean oil and filter, a quick 10-15 min. job on our model, occasional new filter on gas line (5 min. job, easy to see and reach), and new tires a couple times, and only one new battery in 18 years of use ! Only twice in 18 years had a fuse go bad ! This year was the only expensive repair by a technician, everything else has been simple things both I or hubby could easily do. Had the bushings, etc. all redone as steering was getting "loose". $480 to redo all, but after 18 years of use with no break downs or mechanical difficulty, Club car gas has definitely been the best we've ever had going back to the 70's.
Old 05-23-2023, 04:22 AM

The best advertisement for Yamaha is drive a club car. You wouldn't last 5 minutes in a club car after driving a Yamaha
Old 05-23-2023, 04:50 AM

I personally will not buy a lithium ion battery due to the risk of fire. No matter how you spin it, if it catches fire, you can't put it out yourself as its a chemical fire, and very hot and very long burning[/QUOTE]

When was the last time a lithium powered cart burned up in TV? Never? I have seen a few gasoline powered carts burn.
Old 05-23-2023, 04:57 AM
Veteran member

I’ve been here 13 years. I have owned one Club cart and two Yamaha carts. I would not consider any other cart than Yamaha.
Before Covid happened the Villages cart sales told me about 90% sales was Yamaha gas carts. The like everything else Yamaha got behind on production and newbies started buying what ever the Villages could get in stock.
Old 05-23-2023, 05:21 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,687 Times in 973 Posts

Almost all of my golf buddies have Yamahas. Recently one of my golf crew bought an Onward, a few years old. I found it considerably cramped, compared to the Yamahas. I think it would be fine for a couple of people to cruise around, but for two decent size golfers, with water bottles, and rangefinders and towels, there just wasn't enough space, IMO, Especially compared to the Yamaha.
Old 05-23-2023, 05:45 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeint View Post
The club car seems much louder than the 2017 + Yamaha quiet tech.
Agree
Old 05-23-2023, 06:53 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,076 Times in 432 Posts

The Yamaha QuieTech carts (2017 and up) are much quieter, and have a much better ride. Most likely due to the Yamaha having independent suspension.
Closed Thread

Tags
car, club, golf, cart, brand

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.