Does it make you nervous to share the road with cars?

Closed Thread
Old 02-02-2016, 10:47 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,682 Times in 632 Posts
Default Does it make you nervous to share the road with cars?

We plan to move to TV this summer. We see a lot of roads (like Bailey Trail) with golf cart lanes on the side. I have read about accidents happening when a car wants to turn right and the golf cart wants to go straight. Usually the cart comes out on the losing end of these encounters.

Have you had any significant problems sharing the road with cars?
Old 02-02-2016, 10:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

No. But I don't drive my cart much during January, February and March.
Old 02-02-2016, 10:55 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
No. But I don't drive my cart much during January, February and March.
Great advice Gracie.
Old 02-02-2016, 11:02 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by VApeople View Post
We plan to move to TV this summer. We see a lot of roads (like Bailey Trail) with golf cart lanes on the side. I have read about accidents happening when a car wants to turn right and the golf cart wants to go straight. Usually the cart comes out on the losing end of these encounters.

Have you had any significant problems sharing the road with cars?
Honestly, these situations don't happen very often. Cars are generally cognizant of the cart locations and either wait until they pass or they speed up to get to the turn before the cart.

I don't see much difference between the winter and summer months, in terms of how folks drive. There's just more of them in winter...

Driving a cart here isn't as dangerous as some would have you believe...use a little common sense and you're good.
Old 02-02-2016, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memason View Post
Honestly, these situations don't happen very often. Cars are generally cognizant of the cart locations and either wait until they pass or they speed up to get to the turn before the cart.

I don't see much difference between the winter and summer months, in terms of how folks drive. There's just more of them in winter...

Driving a cart here isn't as dangerous as some would have you believe...use a little common sense and you're good.
Everyone is nervous at first, and after awhile you get used to it. And for the most part people do drive safely. You should never abandon caution, however, and always pay attention to traffic and pedestrians around you. Whether you are in your car or in your cart, everyone has their Bozo-moments (ok, some more than others), and you need to be ready to respond.
Old 02-02-2016, 12:25 PM
Gold member

I don't worry much, either in the car or in the cart. But, I am always aware of my situation. It is best when everybody uses their turn signals to show their intentions. Many don't, and the lack of a signal does not mean that they won't be turning. Still, you can often predict a turn by observing the car or cart slowing down when approaching a side street. The frequency of accidents that are caused by sudden stupid moves is pretty small.
Old 02-02-2016, 12:29 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Yes. It is nerve wracking, especially for women. My wife avoids Morse Blvd like the plague. We have had cars pass by within a foot of our cart numerous times. This golf cart community is NOT like your typical Del Webb or Sun City retirement community. It is much bigger and has a much greater chance of encounters with higher speed traffic. Recommend you "try" before you buy, if you are at all concerned about golf carts and automobiles sharing the roadways.
Old 02-02-2016, 12:56 PM

I take offense to the comment "Especially for women"! is this 1916 or 2016?

Last edited by rosygail; 02-02-2016 at 04:59 PM.
Old 02-02-2016, 01:36 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

I think Morse is used heavily as a short cut from 27/441 to 466. The only close calls I've had in the cart on Morse is when merging over before the gate. Some cars insist on punching the gas as soon as I signal left.
Old 02-02-2016, 01:43 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw View Post
Yes. It is nerve wracking, especially for women. My wife avoids Morse Blvd like the plague.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosygail View Post
I take offensive to the comment "Especially for women"! is this 1916 or 2016?
Actually, I don't think that was a chauvinistic statement.
I think Outlaw was simply basing his statement on his wife's feelings.
Since my husband is way more comfortable driving on busy roads than I am, I can see his rationale.
Old 02-02-2016, 04:03 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,682 Times in 632 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw View Post
Yes. It is nerve wracking, especially for women. My wife avoids Morse Blvd like the plague. We have had cars pass by within a foot of our cart numerous times.
I am not surprised to read your comment. When we visited for a few days in November, we drove down Morse Road and were surprised how close the cars and golf carts were to each other. Later we saw this thread:

another golf cart accident
Old 02-02-2016, 04:24 PM
Sage

I emphatically concur with the posters who advise to be aware of your surroundings whether in a cart or car. If I'm in a car and making a right turn into a street when I have a cart lane beside me, a check of my mirror let's me know if there is a cart beside me. (Yup, that's what the mirror is there for!) If so, it's a simple matter to either speed up if there's room or slow down if there is not. And put my signal on for a right turn. (Yup, that's why they are there!) If we get an Alphonse and Gaston situation, I let the cart go. Safer that way.
If I'm in a cart and there is a car next to me as we approach a side street, I always back off so there is room for the car to make the right turn even if they don't signal and/or don't see me there.
And, VApeople, if I remember correctly, the accident you linked to was caused by a car not obeying the signs that instruct cars making a right turn at that intersection to yield to carts in the cart/bicycle lane. Another example of people failing to read signs just like they do at the roundabouts. And being unaware of what is around them.
Old 02-02-2016, 04:32 PM
Email Reported As Spam
Talking

Am I concerned about sharing the road with cars? NO! Why because I replace concern with caution. Being attentive ( defensive driving) is the best any of us can do. so I'll go anywhere anytime and with anyone, (except a woman driver)
Old 02-02-2016, 05:13 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
I'll go anywhere anytime and with anyone, (except a woman driver)
personal best regards
Tom
Old 02-02-2016, 05:20 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
personal best regards
Tom
tomwed: couldn't resist. We have become way too sensitive in this nation. i mean I love everyone, except italians

P.S. My surname ends in a vowel
Closed Thread

Tags
cart, golf, cars, road, car, straight, turn, losing, significant, problems, sharing, encounters, happening, end, lanes, move, summer, plan, share, make, nervous, lot, side, read, trail

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.