Does The Villages Golf Cars have to do the oil changes or can you DIY

Closed Thread
Old 03-21-2023, 07:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,068 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike234 View Post
I go to village golf cart store. get the oil and the small metal gasket that you replace when you drain the oil out...why are people sucking the oil out? when you take that the plug out, the oil will drain, and you will see what I mean about the gasket.....they know what you what when you ask for the little gasket... and observe which way the gasket goes back on.
For my cart, using an extraction tool (sucking the oil out) avoids the lifting and disassembly/reassembly required just to reach the drain plug. The owner's manual suggests the extraction tool as an alternative to using the drain plug.

For one quart of oil, using the extraction tool (sucking the oil out) is much easier and faster.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 03-21-2023, 07:51 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Check your owner's manual and you will find it recommends 10W-30 oil with an ancient API rating. Some of the newer carts may recommend 10W-40. Any contemporary oil (typically API SN or better) will be fine; you don't need to buy the oil from the Villages Golf Cart store. If your owners’s manual recommends 10W-30 you can also use 0W-30 or 5W-30. Buy what is on sale at WallyWorld. I generally buy Mobil 1 in 5 quart containers when Mobil offers a rebate. Regarding the drain plug washer, you don't need to replace it every oil change - they last a long time without leaking.

Quote:
I go to village golf cart store. get the oil and the small metal gasket that you replace when you drain the oil out...why are people sucking the oil out? when you take that the plug out, the oil will drain, and you will see what I mean about the gasket.....they know what you what when you ask for the little gasket... and observe which way the gasket goes back on.

Last edited by tuccillo; 03-21-2023 at 08:43 AM.
Old 03-21-2023, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerSimpson View Post
When we bought a 2018 Yamaha from Villages Golf Cars, we were told that, in order to qualify for the extra 2 years of warranty coverage, they have to do all the maintenance, including the annual Lifestyle Service (it was called something else back then). It is now up to about $180 plus tax. So, if you want a 5-year warranty instead of 3, you have to let them do your oil changes..
Actually, the warranty on the Yamaha gas and electric powertrain is 4 years from the factory. If you purchase from The Villages Golf Cars stores, they add one more year. The only requirement from Yamaha is that the owner maintain the cart per schedule. In the event of a warrantable problem, you may be asked to prove proper maintenance records. They DO NOT need to come from TVGC stores.
Old 03-21-2023, 06:46 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,203 Times in 569 Posts

Quote:

Because newer Yamaha's have plastic shrouding underneath that has to be removed to drain the oil.
Old 03-21-2023, 08:43 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,606 Times in 943 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrf0151 View Post
Actually, the warranty on the Yamaha gas and electric powertrain is 4 years from the factory. If you purchase from The Villages Golf Cars stores, they add one more year. The only requirement from Yamaha is that the owner maintain the cart per schedule. In the event of a warrantable problem, you may be asked to prove proper maintenance records. They DO NOT need to come from TVGC stores.
Is the scheduled maintenance JUST an oil change?
Old 03-22-2023, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1ll649 View Post
I have used Willie's Cart service for over 10 years and just had the annual service done, oil change and drive around. Both carts took a total of 20 minutes. I called and got the same office as always and the same lady scheduled my appointment which was done this past week. When I was handed the bill I almost gasp at the increase in price. I asked why it was so much ($190) and was told new owners took over and this is their rate. I could have had my car serviced at a dealership for less than just one of my carts cost ($95). Last year it was $70, This year, the 35% increase will send me searching different company.
If they did the service that quick the crazy part is, your carts still need to be properly serviced. Many other places are the same way sorry to say.
Old 03-22-2023, 07:50 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I'm assuming you have a Yamaha. Maintenance recommendations are in your owner's manual. If you don't have a copy, go to the following website:

YAMAHA GOLFCARS OWNER'S MANUALS

Here is what I do for our 2014 Yamaha, we put on 200 hours per year:

Every 50 hours: oil change (this is about 900 miles and a bit sooner than the 1250 mile recommendation in the owner's manual, currently using Mobil 1 5W-30)

Every 200 hours: lube clutches, adjust brake cable if necessary (inboard wet brake in differential), inspect starter/generator belt and drive belt, wash pre-air filter and blow out pleated air filter, other miscellaneous things as suggested by the owner's manual

Every 300 hours: rotate tires and check alignment (toe only)

Every 500 hours: replace differential fluid (I use the Yamaha friction modified gear oil, 1.8 quarts)

Every 1000 hours: replace air filters and spark plug (probably overkill)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_lecki View Post
Is the scheduled maintenance JUST an oil change?

Last edited by tuccillo; 03-22-2023 at 08:14 AM.
Closed Thread

Tags
oil, warranty, cars, change, golf

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.