Does The Villages Golf Cars have to do the oil changes or can you DIY

Closed Thread
Old 01-11-2023, 11:09 PM
Veteran member

This brings up a practical question for me. Where are we supposed to dispose of the old oil? I'm assuming not with our garbage in a used soda bottle?
Old 01-11-2023, 11:19 PM

Any auto parts store will dispose of oil.
Old 01-12-2023, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRP2TV View Post
Does The Villages Golf Cars have to do the oil changes or can you do it yourself in order to stay under warranty?

They charge $50, but with an oil change syphon I can quickly do the oil change for the price of the oil. There is no oil filter, so I don't see paying $50, unless doing it yourself voids the warranty.

Thoughts? Will doing it myself void the warranty or do I just need to document when I did it and show proof I bought the oil each time?
DIY, as I and many others do. But save your oil receipt as proof that it has been changed, just in case.
Old 01-12-2023, 08:11 AM
Default Extended Warranty Requirement

When we bought a 2018 Yamaha from Villages Golf Cars, we were told that, in order to qualify for the extra 2 years of warranty coverage, they have to do all the maintenance, including the annual Lifestyle Service (it was called something else back then). It is now up to about $180 plus tax. So, if you want a 5-year warranty instead of 3, you have to let them do your oil changes..
Old 01-12-2023, 08:18 AM

Never have changed oil in my cart which is nearly 7 years old. In fact, it has never been in the shop or had any maintenance done on it. Oops, it is lithium electric so that explains it being maintenance free. Sorry. Disregard.
Old 01-12-2023, 08:27 AM
Veteran member

This is what I use to change the oil in my cart …. Works like a champ ! I run the cart around the block a couple of times so that the oil is warm and any contaminates are mixed with the oil .
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	5F9BDB65-E692-460D-A7AC-4BB3DDE90676.jpg
Views:	619
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	96459  
Old 01-12-2023, 08:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,717 Times in 5,245 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerSimpson View Post
When we bought a 2018 Yamaha from Villages Golf Cars, we were told that, in order to qualify for the extra 2 years of warranty coverage, they have to do all the maintenance, including the annual Lifestyle Service (it was called something else back then). It is now up to about $180 plus tax. So, if you want a 5-year warranty instead of 3, you have to let them do your oil changes..
Is that in writing? I hope you didn't just accept something the dealer said verbally as a fact. The Yamaha warranty on their website doesn't say anything about who needs to do the oil changes.
Old 01-12-2023, 10:19 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,606 Times in 943 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerSimpson View Post
Yamaha standard warranty is 3 years, the extra 2 is offered by Villages Golf Carts - their warranty, their rules.
It’s probably self insured, because most golf carts require little warranty work (and they catch stuff early) - the carts run for a long time. For me, it’s worth $50 a year.
Old 03-18-2023, 03:24 PM

Im going to add...
A Great Golf car service is more than just changing the oil. There is more to it. Working on golf cars everyday here in TV, I see the DIY carts when they find they have a problem they cant fix. The crazy thing is 99 percent of the time, the issue is due to improper service, I cant count how many times I run across it. So the 50 bucks you think your saving gets taken up by the 300 dollar repair you could have avoided by having the right eyes look at it. Now I know Ill hear, " Ive done all my own service and my cart has 80k miles on it and never had a problem"... great, its just not what im seeing.
Also, as was mentioned, some services cost a lot...and some of the places that charge a high amount do everything the cart doesnt need and dont do what the cart does need. Many shops even do the work wrong...I know, hard to believe. Do you need a Air filter, fuel filter, spark plug and a belt every year? No you dont. Spark plugs and air filters last years...like 7-10 years.... I know, some one is going to say " its cheap insurance just to replace them". Really? From what? The air filters and spark plugs are never an issue.
However, many many of you are driving around in golf cars where the brakes are adjusted wrong....I know, " my cart stops fine" Doesnt mean the brakes are not adjusted correctly. See this issue with the Quiet Techs alot, as a matter of fact, I adjust those brakes correctly daily as the complaint is always, my cart doesnt stop very well. A 5 year old should be able to stop any golf car.
Every golf car has issues, its all about having the right eyes looking at it to prevent those issues, and these items are not listed in the service manual, they are issues that are just problem areas with every cart, and it depends on make, model and year as it will vary from year to year.
I like the DIY to be honest as they always find themselves in trouble at some point.
Anyway, I just thought Id point this out....Ill wait for my flogging now.
Old 03-19-2023, 08:15 AM

I have used Willie's Cart service for over 10 years and just had the annual service done, oil change and drive around. Both carts took a total of 20 minutes. I called and got the same office as always and the same lady scheduled my appointment which was done this past week. When I was handed the bill I almost gasp at the increase in price. I asked why it was so much ($190) and was told new owners took over and this is their rate. I could have had my car serviced at a dealership for less than just one of my carts cost ($95). Last year it was $70, This year, the 35% increase will send me searching different company.
Old 03-20-2023, 12:29 AM
Gold member

Amazon.com

Amazon.com
Old 03-20-2023, 05:55 AM
Default The OEM Yamaha oil is on Amazon.

Quote:
Going to use the recommended Yamaha New OEM Golf Car Oil 1Qt/12Ct, LUB-10W30-GG-12. Found a place to get it cheap online.
I buy the oil on Amazon. I have an older model golf car with a drain plug. It’s an easy job. It only takes one quart of oil and no filter. Cheap!
Old 03-20-2023, 11:01 PM
Default I thought golf carts burned off oil like lawnmowers do

I thought as time goes by, you only needed to add more oil to keep the oil level at normal, as a small engine golf cart would act very much like a small engine push lawnmower and just continually consume the oil in the engine every time it is running.
Old 03-21-2023, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Does The Villages Golf Cars have to do the oil changes or can you do it yourself in order to stay under warranty?

They charge $50, but with an oil change syphon I can quickly do the oil change for the price of the oil. There is no oil filter, so I don't see paying $50, unless doing it yourself voids the warranty.

Thoughts? Will doing it myself void the warranty or do I just need to document when I did it and show proof I bought the oil each time?
I go to village golf cart store. get the oil and the small metal gasket that you replace when you drain the oil out...why are people sucking the oil out? when you take that the plug out, the oil will drain, and you will see what I mean about the gasket.....they know what you what when you ask for the little gasket... and observe which way the gasket goes back on.
Old 03-21-2023, 06:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,389 Times in 2,067 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseSpender View Post
I thought as time goes by, you only needed to add more oil to keep the oil level at normal, as a small engine golf cart would act very much like a small engine push lawnmower and just continually consume the oil in the engine every time it is running.
On the chance this is a serious post, there are no engines work that way. All engines (lawnmower, golf cart, motorcycle, car, truck, boat) that take oil require that it be changed at a regular interval.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Closed Thread

Tags
oil, warranty, cars, change, golf

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.