Drive2 QT camber, toe-in controversy...tire wear

Closed Thread
Old 12-10-2023, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueblaze View Post
Which Yamaha's don't allow alignment adjustments? I just adjusted my 2021 Drive 2 DR2 PTV Quietech this afternoon. The adjustment is on the tie rods, as expected. You just loosen the lock nut and screw them in or out. For a low speed vehicle, I can't imagine that it has to be very precise. I just stretched a string from the rear tire, and measured the distance from the string on the rear and front of the front tire. My right front wheel was pretty far off, and probably has been since I bought it and just hadn't noticed until today. It made me wonder if they set it up that way to sell tires. But fixing it only took about 10 minutes.
Tie rods have no effect on caster or camber.
Old 12-10-2023, 07:50 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,091 Times in 298 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by phousel View Post
Tie rods have no effect on caster or camber.
Duh!

And your point, sir?
Old 12-10-2023, 09:19 AM

It may be apples and oranges, but my brother is a Polaris dealer in Indiana and sells side by sides, lots of them.

We bought one and have it at our home there. Right after we got it I noticed that it was towed out. When I asked the service manager (my nephew. lol) about it he said that is normal alignment on all sxs's.

I've noticed here almost all the Yamaha carts I see are towed out, including ours. I'm just wondering if that is proper set up for Yamaha carts?
Old 12-11-2023, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
Doing that will reverse the rotation of the tires moving from the back to the front.

Some modern tires have an arrow showing the proper rotation. What you propose will cause the tires to rotate opposite from what the arrow shows. I'm not sure how important it is but it clearly goes against the manufacturer's suggested usage.

Perhaps Fords didn't use those tires in the 38 yrs you worked for them.

And yes, it is unlikely that golf cart tires have a proper rotation direction.
The vast majority of the Yamaha golf carts are running the bias ply 10 inch Loadstar tires. These are just non directional trailer tires and cannot be compared to tires that are on cars and trucks.
Old 12-11-2023, 09:55 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Whatever you say!
Old 12-11-2023, 10:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,940 Times in 2,460 Posts

Quote:
Which Yamaha's don't allow alignment adjustments? I just adjusted my 2021 Drive 2 DR2 PTV Quietech this afternoon. The adjustment is on the tie rods, as expected. You just loosen the lock nut and screw them in or out. For a low speed vehicle, I can't imagine that it has to be very precise. I just stretched a string from the rear tire, and measured the distance from the string on the rear and front of the front tire. My right front wheel was pretty far off, and probably has been since I bought it and just hadn't noticed until today. It made me wonder if they set it up that way to sell tires. But fixing it only took about 10 minutes.
Can’t adjust camber. Why many complain about front tires leaning and tire wear on outside of tires. Only fix that get older model without independent suspension spindle that has different spindle angle. Now if I had club car I could just take big hammer and adjust the mild steel front end parts.
Old 12-11-2023, 10:05 AM
Sage

Quote:
Duh!

And your point, sir?
So what don’t you get? O, you forgot about the other two angles when it come to adjusting front wheel alignment that only one available on Yamaha cart.
Old 12-11-2023, 10:08 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyb4me View Post
Not sure exactly what points you are measuring from/to and the numbers you are trying to achieve and what criteria did you use to realize your right front wheel was way off? Thanks.
Go on Utube several videos on how to adjust toe in on Yamaha golf carts. Explains it very well. All need tape measure piece chalk, and wrench to break tie rod j-nut loose.
Old 12-11-2023, 10:14 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Our QT only has 130 hours on it and I plan on rotating the tires for the first time when we get to our Villages home after the holidays. I plan on using the advice in posts # 2 and 3 as guidance. I need to figure out if the tires that came with the cart are directional. If not, I will rotate them as described in post #3, otherwise I will simply go front to back on the same side. I’m bring down a floor jack and a four way metric tire wrench. PM me in January if you want to swing by our place and we can do both carts, it shouldn’t take more than about 15 minutes per cart.
Hope they didn’t over tighten lug nuts or the front tires will just spin unless you have impact. Like mind did the first time I tried to remove the lug nuts. And yes there was no Jack under cart.
Old 12-11-2023, 11:54 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,091 Times in 298 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
So what don’t you get? O, you forgot about the other two angles when it come to adjusting front wheel alignment that only one available on Yamaha cart.
If you check your car's tires, you will find that they are rated for over 80 miles per hour. That's why your car's wheels require very precise adjustments, in all three dimensions. That logic does not apply to a vehicle that barely makes 20mph and gets driven maybe 1000 miles a year.

Your Yamaha has no camber adjustment because such vehicles don't need a camber adjustment. If your tires are wearing unevenly, I guarantee it is because they aren't tracking straight -- exactly as I discovered with mine. You can fix that in about 10 minutes by adjusting the one thing that matters on a golf cart -- the tie rods.
Closed Thread

Tags
front, drive2, tire, alignment, back

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.