Electric cart battery charging

Closed Thread
Old 02-22-2018, 10:24 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Electric cart battery charging

What is the best practice for charging a battery?

I use to charge every evening.

Just got new batteries and I was told to plug into charger as soon as I returned home.

Which method is correct?

I charged in the evening to let the batteries cool down before charging. So the question is should the charging be done as soon as possible or a few hours after the cart has been used?

I drive no more than 10 miles a day.
Old 02-24-2018, 04:44 PM

My vote is for every evening, after the garage and the batteries have cooled down. There are actually different charging rates depending upon the temperature of the batteries. The colder, the more amps they can take.

You might plug the charger into a timer in the socket that is set to turn on at 2am or something. That way, they will charge every night and at the coolest time.
Old 02-24-2018, 07:33 PM
Gold member

If you have a smart charger, it will compensate for temperature.
Best practice - don't leave a lead-acid battery in any state of discharge. Plug it in as soon as you get home.
Old 02-24-2018, 11:04 PM
Gold member

We have 2 electric carts and were told by both dealers to charge every night. I got a "Battery Minder" for mine. It is a trickle charger that can stay plugged in for months with out overcharging the batteries and shortening battery life.

One of our carts has 8-6 volt batteries and the other has 6-8 volt batteries. We have had great luck with our electric carts and love the quiet, care free function of the electric. We have great range on both of them and can golf 18 holes, run to the grocery store and out to the squares at night.

People are always talking about electric carts being unreliable, but that sure hasn't been the case for us. We do check the water levels monthly and need to buy new batteries every 5 yrs or so. But It is great to have a quiet, clean operating cart with no oil changes, or spark plugs or gas fill ups needed.

We have never been stranded, in fact we have assisted several people who were stranded with gas carts that has unexpected problems.

You can call Battery Boys and they will give you instructions on how to best charge the batteries your cart uses, to ensure longest possible battery life.
Closed Thread

Tags
charging, battery, batteries, cart, evening

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.