Electric Club Car Battery Charger

Closed Thread
Old 11-06-2010, 04:21 AM
Angry Electric Club Car Battery Charger

New owners. Recently visited our villa and purchased a used electric Club Car from a village resident. It looked great and thought it ran fine. Now we are told by manager of our property (after $35.00 charge by Pro Tech) that the charger that came with the cart is dangerous and not suitable for renters. The cart is 36V. Most all in the Villages are 48V? Apparently our charger is 48V. Can we purchase a 36V battery for our Club Car? Are they expensive? We purchased this vehicle from an ex-fire chief and believed that it would certainly be safe!!
Old 11-06-2010, 04:54 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

What year club car is this? If you look under the dash, about center, should be a tag with a set of numbers. First 2 digits shows the year. How many batteries and cells. As an example, my 02 club car has 6 batteries, 4 cells each, or 6 8 volt batteries for a 48 volt system. Verify the year, verify your battery system, and then make sure you have the proper charger 36 or 48 volt. You should be able to get the charger model and check on the internet to make sure it matches your system. And yes it should match. If not, I would go back after the person I bought it from for a refund. At a minimum they should provide the correct charger. If not post his name and address here so no one else buys a cart from him and tell him your doing that.

There are also several web sites that have information about carts and charging systems. Buggies unlimited as an example.
Old 11-06-2010, 08:13 AM
Default over voltage

I was wondering on a similar subject

last night on my way to the Corvette show in Lake Sumter one of my battery cables broke off - corrosion at the terminal

I rewired but that obviously resulted in one less battery - 30v rather than 36v - so was reluctant to put cart on charge until I get the cable replaced and all batteries back in the circuit

didn't want to risk boiling the acid :-)

is that sort of thing likely?
Old 11-06-2010, 09:04 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybermuda View Post
I was wondering on a similar subject

last night on my way to the Corvette show in Lake Sumter one of my battery cables broke off - corrosion at the terminal

I rewired but that obviously resulted in one less battery - 30v rather than 36v - so was reluctant to put cart on charge until I get the cable replaced and all batteries back in the circuit

didn't want to risk boiling the acid :-)

is that sort of thing likely?
Pretty innovative fix.

I would not charge in this configuration. Though the charger will automatically shut off after 12 hours or so, it will keep trying to get the pack to 36+ volts which it will not be able to do. It is likely this will overcharge the other batteries.

<Alan is not a professional cart fixer>

Last edited by ajbrown; 11-06-2010 at 09:05 AM. Reason: never right first time
Old 11-06-2010, 09:50 AM

A 36 volt cart with a 36 volt charger is safe.
If you purchased a 36 volt cart and a charger from the same person you should talk to them about the problem.
Many older carts are 36 volts and newer carts are 48 volts.
I expect that used 36 volt chargers are cheap and plentiful in TV as people have purchased newer carts.
Old 11-06-2010, 10:06 AM
Default 36v v 30v

Bought new connector from Town & Country and installed okay, but "battery level" meter on dashboard is now flashing.

Does this just indicate a very low charge level?

Nothing in the EZ-GO user manual about warning lights
Old 12-16-2013, 09:11 AM

if you would like to sell the 48v charger- call me 352 205 8674 or 678 993 3804- Bill
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.