Evolution 180AH Lithium Golf Carts

Closed Thread
Old 04-30-2022, 08:54 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,132 Times in 812 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael G. View Post
In the news, there are lithium batteries in cars catching on fire in garages.
Is there same problem with lithium batteries in Golf carts??
////
Old 05-01-2022, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithreeputtoo View Post
I have a Yamaha with lead batteries and I want to change it over to lithium but so far I have not been successful in finding a company that does that. Any suggestions would be appreciated!!!!
I had a company in Tavares called Mando's do a lithium conversion on an old DS of mine.
Since I got it back I've parked my EZGO Elite and just drive the DS.
It's awesome! It drives like a Go-Cart. nimble, fast and super acceleration which is adjustable on the fly. 40 miles took it to 38% so far.
Anyone looking for a 2019 Elite?
Old 05-01-2022, 08:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,780 Times in 1,243 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces View Post
I had a company in Tavares called Mando's do a lithium conversion on an old DS of mine.
It's awesome! It drives like a Go-Cart. nimble, fast and super acceleration which is adjustable on the fly. 40 miles took it to 38% so far.
UP GRADE TO LITHIUM
Old 05-01-2022, 09:06 AM
Thanked 1,119 Times in 246 Posts
Default Go electric!

Quote:
Originally Posted by splashes View Post
Buy gas
Yes, by all means get a smelly, polluting, noisy gas powered cart with all of its maintenance requirements and parts to malfunction, wear out, and need servicing. Belts, filters, injectors, oil, plugs, timing, bearings, muffler, and more are a mechanics gold mine sure to keep them in business for years to come. I have a 22 year old electric Club Car that had the "old school" lead acid batteries and would go from one end of TV to the other with juice leftover. I finally replaced them with four Lithium Iron Phosphate 12v 100ah batteries. Super lightweight and even more range and power. It never needs professional servicing, has a top speed of 24 mph, and I just plug it in at the end of the day and its ready to go again.

Electric cars, carts, tools, etc. are here to stay. Do NOT listen to anyone who is simply resistant to change because they are old and stuck in the past.
Old 05-01-2022, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael G. View Post
////

And gasoline isn't flammable? Pay no attention to isolated stories that also fail to include whatever stupidity on the owner's part caused the fires.
Old 05-01-2022, 09:16 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,722 Times in 665 Posts

The path around this tree is getting deeper and deeper. And yet, we keep going round and round.
Old 05-01-2022, 09:28 AM
Default Do it yourself and stay away from Mando's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces View Post
Don't go to Mando's unless you want to pay a ridiculous bill. I bought four Lithium Iron Phosphate 12v 100ah batteries made by CHINS from Amazon for only $300 each (now $400) and replaced the six 8v lead acid batteries in my 2000 electric Club Car DS using the original cables & connectors. I also bought a Lithium charger from Allied for $300 and bypassed the onboard charge computer (OBC) (easy DIY job - see YouTube). Mando's wanted to charge me triple the amount I spent to easily do it myself. My cart is now lighter and faster than ever and will run forever between charges!

The Villages Florida

The Villages Florida

Last edited by dhdallas; 05-01-2022 at 11:39 AM. Reason: Added photos
Old 05-01-2022, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdallas View Post
Don't go to Mando's unless you want to pay a ridiculous bill. I bought four Lithium Iron Phosphate 12v 100ah batteries made by CHINS from Amazon for only $300 each (now $400) and replaced the six 8v lead acid batteries in my 2000 electric Club Car DS using the original cables & connectors. I also bought a Lithium charger from Allied for $300 and bypassed the onboard charge computer (OBC) (easy DIY job - see YouTube). Mando's wanted to charge me triple the amount I spent to easily do it myself. My cart is now lighter and faster than ever and will run forever between charges!
You're "The Man"

I just wanted to have it professionally done with one unit.
They also put in a kickass controller and did a tremendous alignment job.
Great Guys
Old 05-01-2022, 11:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,276 Times in 4,296 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdallas View Post
Yes, by all means get a smelly, polluting, noisy gas powered cart with all of its maintenance requirements and parts to malfunction, wear out, and need servicing. Belts, filters, injectors, oil, plugs, timing, bearings, muffler, and more are a mechanics gold mine sure to keep them in business for years to come.
Thanks, I will.

-Tom Petty
Old 05-01-2022, 01:15 PM

I don't understand the need to start yet another thread on a topic that already has several...
Old 05-01-2022, 01:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,276 Times in 4,296 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARFAP View Post
I don't understand the need to start yet another thread on a topic that already has several...
Because THIS time, it'll turn out differently...

Yeah, I know... I had trouble saying that with a straight face...

-Tom Petty
Old 05-01-2022, 04:10 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,722 Times in 665 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARFAP View Post
If someone has the time, it would be interested to see a summary of which topics have the most threads and which have the least, and maybe the longest topics. I think longest might be "Nothing"?
Old 05-02-2022, 04:05 AM
Gold member

Lithium battery thermal runaway is nasty. If you charge at 0.1C to 90% max then the event is near zero.
Old 05-02-2022, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phairmason View Post
I test drove an Evolution Electric Plus 4 Passenger cart today at Villages Discount Golf Carts on 441. I have a 2013 gas Yamaha 4-seater and am looking at new lithium battery carts.

It had the LED display, speakers, and back up camera and fancy wheels/tires. But other than that, it's a barebones cart--no locking glove box, for example. I drove over a pretty deep pothole without a bounce (compared to my 2013 Y). I definitely liked the price.

Evolution owners:
  • Do you like it?
  • Does the "jump" start throw you off or do you get used to it?
  • Nothing on the dash has a closure. Do you have problems with items blowing away--maybe there's a hack to make a cavity a glove box?
  • What is the mileage on the 180AH battery charge? The sales rep said 55-65 miles.
  • What advice do you have about the Evolution cart or about the dealers in the area?

--Ruthie
We bought one in November last year, and it has been good. I did have to send it in for service because the battery management stopped working so I couldn't charge it but TVDGC took care of it. NO issues with the Jump. Look on FB they have an Evolution owners group and they have locking enclosures people have added, not to mention other solutions. I haven't officially tested the range yet. I have had it over 65 miles with about 25% left and I was going on a jaunt the next day so I charged it up.

The piece of advice I would give is have them disconnect the growler, that makes noise until you get to 18mph and keep a long extension cord with you just in case.
Old 06-17-2022, 08:16 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisanp@aol.com View Post
I just had a total duh moment...why would you need gas a gas cart if you just had a roof solar panel in the FL sun on an electric cart? Is there someplace that installs solar panels on electric carts? Why isn't this standard from the manufacturers in 2021? Almost all new RVs have a roof solar panel to charge the house battery to run the fridge. Why are golf carts so behind the times? Who wants to go on shark tank with me?
I'm an electrical engineer. Look at the actual charge rate for a solar panel that size. It will not provide any significant type of charge for the battery. In addition, during any normal drive you'll be on a multimodal path where you are under tree limbs about 50% of the time, so it's charging even less. A solar panel is just a gimmick on a cart.
Closed Thread

Tags
evolution, carts, lithium, golf, 180ah

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.