Evolution D5 - Any issues with tunnels?

Closed Thread
Old 05-24-2023, 06:53 AM
Veteran member
Talking Evolution D5 - Any issues with tunnels?

I'm very intrigued with the new Evolution D5 - it's a 4 passenger forward facing cart that is no longer than a standard cart.

The potential issue I see is that the specs shows the height to be 79.5". This is 10" taller than my Yamaha Drive 2.

Does anyone have one of these yet, and if so, have you had any issues with tunnels? I'm at the north end of The Villages so we have some of the shortest tunnels around.
Old 05-24-2023, 09:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,524 Times in 3,110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoolBrews View Post
I'm very intrigued with the new Evolution D5 - it's a 4 passenger forward facing cart that is no longer than a standard cart.

The potential issue I see is that the specs shows the height to be 79.5". This is 10" taller than my Yamaha Drive 2.

Does anyone have one of these yet, and if so, have you had any issues with tunnels? I'm at the north end of The Villages so we have some of the shortest tunnels around.
Couple things about the Evolution D5: they can go up to 25mph without any adjustments made on them, making them - from a legal standpoint, not a "golf cart." But because they don't have windshield wipers, they are also not eligible for the LSV legal designation.

So no matter where you're driving it in the Villages, you would be driving it illegally.
Old 05-24-2023, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoolBrews View Post
new Evolution D5 ... The potential issue I see is that the specs shows the height to be 79.5". This is 10" taller than my Yamaha Drive 2.
You might want to look at this document that provides actual tunnel dimensions. They are all different, so it may hit the tunnel at the side, but only in places you may never travel.

https://districtgov.org/departments/...%20HEIGHTS.pdf
Old 05-24-2023, 09:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
Couple things about the Evolution D5: they can go up to 25mph without any adjustments made on them, making them - from a legal standpoint, not a "golf cart." But because they don't have windshield wipers, they are also not eligible for the LSV legal designation.

So no matter where you're driving it in the Villages, you would be driving it illegally.
. I'd bet a McDonalds Happy Meal, that it's onboard programmable ESC can be programmed to max out at any speed required depending on use and local regs just like all current electric golf carts/LSV's are capable of. I highly doubt they would be willing to exclude this cart from being sold in FL (and maybe other states) as a golf cart. As examples, GEM, Atomic and others come in set at 25mph but all can be properly adjusted to be considered a legal GC. Of course that doesn't preclude it from being changed back. As for street legal, you are likely correct as it does not have a DOT Approved windshield which is required whether it had a wiper or not in FL but that could possibly be a manufacturer's option All that said it could still be driven at any speed inside private property such as a closed gated community UNLIKE T.V.
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 05-24-2023, 02:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,279 Times in 4,297 Posts

Quote:

Interesting...

You car is capable of going 100 mph (or more), yet it is perfectly legal to drive on roads with a speed limit of 25 mph...

LSVs (which have an unaltered maximum speed of 25-30 mph) are allowed on the MMPs, as long as they do not exceed 20 mph...

So please explain why the driving an Evolution D5 would be "driving illegally", if you do not alter the speed regulator, nor exceed the allowed speed...

-Tom Petty
Old 05-24-2023, 03:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,158 Times in 2,252 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
Interesting...

You car is capable of going 100 mph (or more), yet it is perfectly legal to drive on roads with a speed limit of 25 mph...

LSVs (which have an unaltered maximum speed of 25-30 mph) are allowed on the MMPs, as long as they do not exceed 20 mph...

So please explain why the driving an Evolution D5 would be "driving illegally", if you do not alter the speed regulator, nor exceed the allowed speed...
This has been discussed several times, FL law states (more or less) if a golf cart CAN go over 20 mph to is then classified as a Low Speed Vehicle, with an allowable top speed of 25 mph, and then all of the other required legal stuff. I do hot have the specific FL statute but I know it was previously referenced.
Old 05-24-2023, 03:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

OP asked about tunnel heights which is important to know. Thank you Maker for providing the link for the answer. Now back to the speed diversion.
Old 05-24-2023, 06:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,524 Times in 3,110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
This has been discussed several times, FL law states (more or less) if a golf cart CAN go over 20 mph to is then classified as a Low Speed Vehicle, with an allowable top speed of 25 mph, and then all of the other required legal stuff. I do hot have the specific FL statute but I know it was previously referenced.
Right. It has to have the windshield, and be registered and insured as an LSV, IF it is made to go between 20 and 25mph.

Here are the actual rules, from the government website:
Low Speed Vehicles - Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles

Section 320.01(41), Florida Statutes, defines LSVs as “any four-wheeled vehicle whose top speed is greater than 20 miles per hour, but not greater than 25 miles per hour.” LSVs must be registered, titled and insured with personal injury protection (PIP) and property damage liability (PDL) insurance. Any person operating an LSV must have a valid driver license in their immediate possession.

LSVs may be operated only on streets where the posted speed limit is 35 MPH or less and must be equipped with the following safety equipment:

Headlamps;
Front and rear turn signals;
Stop lamps;
Tail lamps;
Reflex reflectors, red – one each side and one on the rear;
Exterior mirror on the driver side and an interior rear-view mirror or exterior mirror on passenger side;
Parking brake;
Windshield;
Seat belt for each designated seat; and a
Vehicle identification number (VIN).

So if you want to buy an Evolution ED-5, and don't want to change its stock speed to go under 20, then you have to follow all the above. If you choose to change the stock speed to top out at under 20, then it's fine. But the way it comes from the manufacturer, is set to go 25.

As for the heights - most of the tunnels will be too short at the sides, requiring the OP to drive closer to the middle of the tunnel. That's all well and good until someone comes into the tunnel from the opposite direction.

Last edited by OrangeBlossomBaby; 05-24-2023 at 06:49 PM. Reason: added the link to the website
Old 05-24-2023, 06:46 PM
Veteran member

A few of the older tunnels are pretty low. If you see the ceiling scrape marks in a low one such as the one next to Hawkes Bay golf course, proceed with caution.
Old 05-24-2023, 07:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,279 Times in 4,297 Posts

Quote:
Right. It has to have the windshield, and be registered and insured as an LSV, IF it is made to go between 20 and 25mph.

Here are the actual rules, from the government website:
Low Speed Vehicles - Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles

Section 320.01(41), Florida Statutes, defines LSVs as “any four-wheeled vehicle whose top speed is greater than 20 miles per hour, but not greater than 25 miles per hour.” LSVs must be registered, titled and insured with personal injury protection (PIP) and property damage liability (PDL) insurance. Any person operating an LSV must have a valid driver license in their immediate possession.

LSVs may be operated only on streets where the posted speed limit is 35 MPH or less and must be equipped with the following safety equipment:

Headlamps;
Front and rear turn signals;
Stop lamps;
Tail lamps;
Reflex reflectors, red – one each side and one on the rear;
Exterior mirror on the driver side and an interior rear-view mirror or exterior mirror on passenger side;
Parking brake;
Windshield;
Seat belt for each designated seat; and a
Vehicle identification number (VIN).

So if you want to buy an Evolution ED-5, and don't want to change its stock speed to go under 20, then you have to follow all the above. If you choose to change the stock speed to top out at under 20, then it's fine. But the way it comes from the manufacturer, is set to go 25.

As for the heights - most of the tunnels will be too short at the sides, requiring the OP to drive closer to the middle of the tunnel. That's all well and good until someone comes into the tunnel from the opposite direction.
Do the Evolution ED-5 not have all of those features?

Obviously, FL is allowing them to be sold, so where's the problem?

-Tom Petty
Old 05-24-2023, 08:12 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,611 Times in 946 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maker View Post
You might want to look at this document that provides actual tunnel dimensions. They are all different, so it may hit the tunnel at the side, but only in places you may never travel.

https://districtgov.org/departments/...%20HEIGHTS.pdf
Seems like at 79.5” - it can go through about 75% of the tunnels only in the middle, which, to me, puts oncoming traffic in danger.
Old 05-24-2023, 08:27 PM
Gold member

Quote:

LSVs do not require a windshield wiper.
Old 05-24-2023, 10:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

I have a Yamaha four-seater with a raised roof in the back. Tunnels going under Buena Vista north of 466 reqire going down the middle to avoid hitting the top. No problem with the others.
Old 05-24-2023, 10:15 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Old 05-24-2023, 10:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoSno View Post
LSVs do not require a windshield wiper.
but they do require a DOT approved, automobile rated windshield. Used to be they could have those plastic golf cart front windows with the airholes in them but no more.
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Closed Thread

Tags
tunnels, evolution, cart, issues, villages

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.