EZGO RXV Electric Cart Problem

Closed Thread
Old 04-18-2011, 09:29 AM
Default ezgo fixed battrey problem?

Any one out there- I understand that the 2010`s and 11`s Ezgo electric carts have cured the problems with the 4-12 battery system. Is everyone with these years happy with there electic system now? I`m about ready to buy and I`m concerend about this issue. Help
Thanks RickeyAnn
Old 04-18-2011, 10:12 AM

I had problems with my early RXV with batteries going low after only 15 - 20 miles. Never needed a tow. Cart now has 8,000 miles on it and Town & Country has replaced all 4 batteries UNDER warranty! Not one red cent paid for any repairs or batteries. I now go 30+ miles with plenty of juice left but my butt can't take any more than 30 miles in ANY cart in a day!
Old 04-18-2011, 10:54 AM
Sage
Default Anyone measure their EZGO pack?

I have no skin in the RXV game, but as an electric cart owner, I like to learn what I can about batteries, etc. Personally, I tend to shy way from golf carts with 4-12V batteries. Granted EZGO's AC system is more efficient, but even by their own marketing that is only 10%.

Do any of the RXV owners out here check the pack voltages? For example:
  1. Voltage of pack fully charged after sitting for a few hours.
  2. Voltage after a 20 mile ride?
  3. Voltage after a 30 miles ride?
  4. How any miles can you travel and have the pack voltage be 48.4 volts.

This is a nice way to assess the state of the pack over time. I keep these numbers for my battery packs and am curious how the 4-12Volt batteries perform in the AC system.

If someone does that and wants to share, would be great to understand.
Old 04-18-2011, 11:27 AM

Doug

What year was you and your friends Ezgo?
Thanks RickeyAnn
Old 04-19-2011, 01:44 PM

[QUOTE=charliev;302638]My 2009 EZGO RXV 48v electric cart is about 18 months old and having some problems. Most recently after driving about 15 miles when the state of charge (SOC) indicator reduces to 1/2, the gauge suddenly drops to zero with the warning light on. The cart continues to operate normally but now has a greatly reduced range (30 miles max). This has been going on for over a month and twice been back to the dealer. The first time the dealer replaced one of the Trojan 1275 12v batteries because it "tested bad". A week later the cart had the same problem (SOC gauge drops to zero) and the dealer replaced a second battery. I called yesterday with the same repeat problem and the dealer made another appointment to pick up the cart. The maintenance manager said it was the 3rd phone call that morning with the same complaint. Is anyone else have this problem? If so, what's the fix?

Charlie[/QUOTE CHARLIE THERE IS A RECALL LAST YEAR ON YOUR CART, WHEN WE HAD MY WIFES SERVICE AT EZGO IN SUMMERFIELD, THEY REPLACED THE WHOLE ELEC. SYSTEM AND CHARGING SYSTEM AND NOW SHE GETS ABOUT 55-60 MILES A CHARGE. MITCH IS THE GUY TO TALK TO IN SERVICE.
Old 11-03-2012, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickeyAnn View Post
Any one out there- I understand that the 2010`s and 11`s Ezgo electric carts have cured the problems with the 4-12 battery system. Is everyone with these years happy with there electic system now? I`m about ready to buy and I`m concerend about this issue. Help
Thanks RickeyAnn
My suggestion is to have the dealer use the 6 8 volt system rather than the 4 12 volt. I have a 2011 with 4 12's and several of my friends have the same we've all had battery problems.

Jim
Old 11-03-2012, 08:48 AM
Default EZGO RXV Electric Cart Problem

I changed to six - eight volt Trojan batteries during summer 2012 and have had no problems since the battery change.

Evidently EZGO had a lot of problems with Trojan 12 volt batteries in 2009-2011 RXV carts. So much trouble that EZGO no longer installs Trojan 12 volt batteries in new carts. Now all new RXV carts come with four 12 volt batteries made by US Battery company, one of the oldest battery companies in the country.

Charlie
Old 12-29-2012, 10:16 AM

I have discussed on other forums the significant problems I had maintaining a fleet of early 2008 RXV's.

Batteries was one of the problems, with the autofill system failing to work properly. When I took over the fleet duties, and was suspicious, I found several dry cells, plates exposed. After much feet-dragging, E Z Go diagnosed it as float valves stems being too long, so they replaced them all with shorter stems. Then some did not shut off and some sells overfilled.

I'd have to check records, but E Z Go stonewalled the problem to the point where most of our fleet would not do 2 round a day and some would not do one round. At one point toward the end of the season in 2011, I had sorted the good from the bad, and half the cart barn was designated to be used only if absolutely necessary. We rented gas carts from another dealer for events.

E Z Go eventually replaced 117 batteries, but only after we had the problem for more than 2 years, and some batteries had too much use (the 21,400 hours mentioned) to be on warrantee.

At that point a new international management company took over our course and was able to negotiate getting the fleet replaced with 2012s.

I know linking to other forums is not appreciated here, so you can just google RXV Uato-Brake Problem III.

Talk to me there if you want to.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:40 AM
Default EZGO RZV Electric Cart Problem

Since starting this thread many months ago, I have heard from a lot of folks like yourself who described problems with EZGO electric RXV carts. One person worked for a Seattle area country club who said the carts quit so often, they had to use a special tool to manually pull the pin so the carts could be towed. My personal RXV cart is now 3 and a half years old. During the first year EZGO replaced the four 12 volt Trojan batteries 5 separate times. This happened to many friends also. To put it mildly, EZGO had massive problems with the 12 volt Trojan batteries. In fact, EZGO no longer uses 12 volt Trojan batteries. Now, all new RXV carts come with four 12 volt batteries made by US Battery company. Last summer I changed batteries in my cart. I had six 8 volt Trojan batteries installed by EZGO which included a new battery tray, new cables, etc. That cost was not cheap, but I now have reliable batteries and the cart is operating like it was new. For anyone else who has the EZGO RXV electric cart, suggest changing to either six 8 volt batteries or eight 6-volt batteries. You will be much happier with the performance and increased range.
Old 03-25-2013, 04:56 AM

My wife wants an electric cart with a hard enclosure. I am looking at buying a 2011 EZ-Go RXV with a Curtis Cab. My concern is that this cart has 4 12-volt Trojan batteries. The owner was only getting around 20 miles on a charge. The dealer, AGC, recently replaced one battery and gave them a new charger. Owner says cart runs find now. Do I need to be concerned? Would you buy this cart, or for that matter any EZGO? Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I am supposed do buy this cart this afternoon.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliev View Post
A good friend has the same 2 year old EZGO RXV electric cart that he purchased from Town & Country (T&C) in Spanish Springs. His cart has exectly the same problem, state of charge (SOC) dropping to zero with 1/2 showing on the gauge and significantly reduced range. T&C replaced one of his batteries (Trojan 1260) and added that more might need to be replaced in the future. After getting the cart back with the new battery installed, yesterday he barely made it home after driving just over 20 miles (includes 18 holes of golf). So it appears the problem is not with AGC or T&C, but with the 12 volt Trojan batteries.
I've had a similar problem with my Freedom RXV. AGC found nothing wrong. Have concluded that when it's time to replace batteries I will dump 12v and reconfigure to six 8v. seems like the only logical solution. Despite AGC BS I'm convinced this is a common problem. Assume Town and Country will honor the remaining warantee on cart bought from AGC. If so I may try them for service. Any comments about using T&C for service?
Old 03-25-2013, 06:59 AM

Last summer I replaced all 4 of the Trojan 12v batteries with six 8v Trojan batteries and have had no problems since. The replacement was costly (over $900) since the battery tray and all cables plus batteries had to be replaced, but I have no problem driving 10 miles to Nancy Lopez, playing a round of golf (about 7 miles) and driving 10 miles back home. There is still plenty of charge left to drive to town, etc. My EZGO RXV is about 4 years old now and I would definitely buy the same cart again.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:39 AM

[quote=normandy;347915]
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliev View Post
My 2009 EZGO RXV 48v electric cart is about 18 months old and having some problems. Most recently after driving about 15 miles when the state of charge (SOC) indicator reduces to 1/2, the gauge suddenly drops to zero with the warning light on. The cart continues to operate normally but now has a greatly reduced range (30 miles max). This has been going on for over a month and twice been back to the dealer. The first time the dealer replaced one of the Trojan 1275 12v batteries because it "tested bad". A week later the cart had the same problem (SOC gauge drops to zero) and the dealer replaced a second battery. I called yesterday with the same repeat problem and the dealer made another appointment to pick up the cart. The maintenance manager said it was the 3rd phone call that morning with the same complaint. Is anyone else have this problem? If so, what's the fix?

Charlie[/QUOTE CHARLIE THERE IS A RECALL LAST YEAR ON YOUR CART, WHEN WE HAD MY WIFES SERVICE AT EZGO IN SUMMERFIELD, THEY REPLACED THE WHOLE ELEC. SYSTEM AND CHARGING SYSTEM AND NOW SHE GETS ABOUT 55-60 MILES A CHARGE. MITCH IS THE GUY TO TALK TO IN SERVICE.
Can anyone provide any specific information about this recall. Where can I find out what carts it covers?
Old 03-25-2013, 10:22 AM
Default EZGO RXV Recall

The only recall I can find was way back in 2008 for "hip restraints".
Old 05-12-2013, 10:26 AM

EZ Go stonewalling cart problems:

Largest Verdict For Fraud Ever Rendered For Deception Related To E-Z-Go Golf Cars. Fraud Judgment For 1.67 Million Dollars Entered Against Textron Inc.
- - - - -
I am back with my northern fleet now. 2012 RXVs.

This week we had two solenoids fail and one cart die on the course.

I don't give much thought to one cart dying on the course because it easily could not have been plugged in, since most minimum wage cart attendants don't bother to check chargers when they close or open. Nor do most know anything about how a golf cart operates or how to maintain them.

I had another cart that was suspicious, a flashing green charger light after a full night and then a flashing red light. I moved it and plugged it in to another charger. An hour later it had a heavy sulfer smell and excessive heat from the batteries. I could actually feel the heat just walking by the cart.

I visually checked a few battery cells and the fluid level was OK. I filled the batteries using the autofill system and one valve did not close, overflowing that cell.

No conclusion on it, yet, but I put it in timeout.

Last edited by littleCedar; 05-12-2013 at 06:29 PM.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.