EZGO RXV Elite Lithium Fuel Cost

Old 05-08-2024, 03:49 AM
Gold member
Default EZGO RXV Elite Lithium Fuel Cost

EZGO RXV Elite Lithium cart - Kill-A-Watt meter at the wall - Tire PSI 20 - 85F - Cruising around TV MMPs:

Measured 89whs per mile at 0.0083 cents per watt-hour or 0.74 cents per mile.

It would be nice to have people with other brands of lithium carts conduct this same test. A Kill-A-Watt meter is about 30 bucks at Ace/HD/Lowes/Amazon.

Last edited by MorTech; 05-08-2024 at 03:56 AM.
Old 05-08-2024, 05:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,825 Times in 1,278 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorTech View Post
EZGO RXV Elite Lithium cart - Kill-A-Watt meter at the wall - Tire PSI 20 - 85F - Cruising around TV MMPs:

It would be nice to have people with other brands of lithium carts conduct this same test. A Kill-A-Watt meter is about 30 bucks at Ace/HD/Lowes/Amazon.
Interesting, help me understand how you're doing the measurement/calculation?
Old 05-08-2024, 05:50 AM
Sage

Nope. SECO charges approximately 14 cents per kWh, not the 8 cents you claim. Your cost is actually almost twice that. Your watt-hours per mile would suggest a range of 113 miles. Are you actually seeing that in typical use? I assume you were keeping your speed pretty low. The difference in power consumption between 18 mph and 22 mph is almost 2x since power goes as the cube of the velocity. Your watt-hours per mile figure is useless without knowing the average speed and other factors. I can get that figure with my electric cart also but it would not reflect the actual usage of the cart; stop and go, speeds faster than I should be going on the MMPs, playing golf, etc. There is some help from the regenerative breaking but not much on average. However, if you were averaging something like 24 mph then that would be a good figure.

Quote:

Last edited by biker1; 05-08-2024 at 08:49 AM.
Old 05-08-2024, 06:33 AM

Quote:

I just ordered a knock off Kill a watt meter, I'm anxious to play with this.
Old 05-08-2024, 10:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,457 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
Nope. SECO charges approximately 14 cents per kWh, not the 8 cents you claim. Your cost is actually almost twice that. Your watt-hours per mile would suggest a range of 113 miles. Are you actually seeing that in typical use? I assume you were keeping your speed pretty low. The difference in power consumption between 18 mph and 22 mph is almost 2x since power goes as the cube of the velocity. Your watt-hours per mile figure is useless without knowing the average speed and other factors. I can get that figure with my electric cart also but it would not reflect the actual usage of the cart; stop and go, speeds faster than I should be going on the MMPs, playing golf, etc. There is some help from the regenerative breaking but not much on average. However, if you were averaging something like 24 mph then that would be a good figure.
Nope.

SECO charges 11.2 cents/KWh - 3 cents/KWh "Hot Bucks" rebate and then taxed at 2.5625%

(11.2 - 3)*1.025625 = 8.4 cents/KWh

(NOTE: There is also a $1.15/day charge but since that is paid whether you charge the cart or not I left it out of these calculations)

My EZGo recharges at a rate of 5 or 6 miles of range per hour of charging. At a maximum rate of 10A on a 110V circuit that works out to be between 1.6 and 1.8 cents per mile. If the charger does not draw the full 10A over the entire charging period then the cost per mile is less.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 05-08-2024, 10:26 AM
Sage

Nope. Take your total bill and divide by the number of kWhs you consumed and you will get approximately 14 cents per kWh. That is the real amount you are paying per kWh. The hot buck discount is not applied all the time - appears to be mostly a winter adjustment. The rate is 13.2 cents per kWh over 1000 kWhs which is hard to avoid in the summer, which is also when the hot bucks discount isn’t being applied. If you want to only deal with the incremental cost per kWh in the months with no PCA then it is effectively 13.5 cents per kWh.

At the charger, typical use is 200 watt-hours per mile and the charger pulls about 10 amps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
Nope.

SECO charges 11.2 cents/KWh - 3 cents/KWh "Hot Bucks" rebate and then taxed at 2.5625%

(11.2 - 3)*1.025625 = 8.4 cents/KWh

(NOTE: There is also a $1.15/day charge but since that is paid whether you charge the cart or not I left it out of these calculations)

My EZGo recharges at a rate of 5 or 6 miles of range per hour of charging. At a maximum rate of 10A on a 110V circuit that works out to be between 1.6 and 1.8 cents per mile. If the charger does not draw the full 10A over the entire charging period then the cost per mile is less.

Last edited by biker1; 05-08-2024 at 12:33 PM.
Old 05-08-2024, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Nope. Take your total bill and divide by the number of kWhs you consumed and you will get approximately 14 cents per kWh. That is the real amount you are paying per kWh. The hot buck discount is not applied all the time - appears to be mostly a winter adjustment. The rate is 13.2 cents per kWh over 1000 kWhs which is hard to avoid in the summer, which is also when the hot bucks discount isn’t being applied. If you want to only deal with the incremental cost per kWh in the months with no PCA then it is effectively 13.5 cents per kWh.
When I opened my first data center in Atlanta in 1994 I was paying 4 cents/kwh for the first megawatt and 2.1 cents for everything after that.
Old 05-08-2024, 02:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,457 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:

At the charger, typical use is 200 watt-hours per mile and the charger pulls about 10 amps.
That calculation gives a bad number for cost per kWh that will vary by the amount of electricity used. The bill clearly shows what the rate per kWh is.

Hot bucks varies with the economy and not the season. As we went into a period of high inflation the hot bucks disappeared. As inflation lessened the hot bucks subtraction came back.

I believe I had one bill over 1000kWh last year, even with all the AC. Of course, YMMV.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 05-08-2024, 02:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,237 Times in 2,817 Posts

Interesting, but golf cart fuel, be it gas or electric, is chump change. I’m way more concerned with the upcoming release of the seasonal golf rates.
Old 05-08-2024, 03:00 PM
Sage

You assumed the lowest incremental cost and I presented the average and highest incremental cost. You apparently want to consider the cost of electricity for the golf cart to be different from the cost of electricity for other appliances. I don’t make a distinction. Pick your poison. I looked at my last 17 SECO bills and less than half had a negative PCA. 5 bills had a positive PCA yielding a per kWh cost as high as 18 cents per kWh. We typically run over 1000 kWhs for 5 months of the year. My wife likes it chilly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
That calculation gives a bad number for cost per kWh that will vary by the amount of electricity used. The bill clearly shows what the rate per kWh is.

Hot bucks varies with the economy and not the season. As we went into a period of high inflation the hot bucks disappeared. As inflation lessened the hot bucks subtraction came back.

I believe I had one bill over 1000kWh last year, even with all the AC. Of course, YMMV.

Last edited by biker1; 05-08-2024 at 03:45 PM.
Old 05-08-2024, 03:03 PM

Quote:
. My wife likes it chilly.
my wife is chilly

has nothing to do with me
Old 05-08-2024, 04:01 PM

Quote:
You assumed the lowest incremental cost and I presented the average and highest incremental cost. You apparently want to consider the cost of electricity for the golf cart to be different from the cost of electricity for other appliances. I don’t make a distinction. Pick your poison. I looked at my last 17 SECO bills and less than half had a negative PCA. 5 bills had a positive PCA yielding a per kWh cost as high as 18 cents per kWh. We typically run over 1000 kWhs for 5 months of the year. My wife likes it chilly.
Here, arguments over marginal electric costs versus average electric costs.
Similar to the distinction between marginal tax rates and average tax rates.
If I am already in the highest tax bracket and want to know how much more in taxes I pay on the NEXT dollar of income, I want to use my marginal tax rate, not my average tax rate.

The reason for the particular analysis should determine whether you use marginal versus average.

Discuss.
Old 05-08-2024, 04:37 PM
Sage

How much does it cost to run my hot water heater? Approximately 14 cents per kWh. How much does it cost to run my AC? Approximately 14 cents per kWh. Same thing with all my appliances, including my electric golf cart. I can’t prioritize one over the other since I need to use them all and can’t decide which kWhs go where. It really doesn’t matter in the big picture since electricity is relatively low cost here. Our electricity usage varies by a factor of 3x during the year but the cost per kWh stays pretty close to 14 cents per kWh. How many watts- hours per mile for my gas cart and how many miles per gallon for my electric cart is really not important. The electric cart is lower cost but it is a matter of a small number for the gas cart being a bit smaller for the electric. We spend about $200 on gas for the gas cart and about $60 on electricity for the electric cart each year. In case you were wondering, the gas cart is used more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinner1001 View Post
Here, arguments over marginal electric costs versus average electric costs.
Similar to the distinction between marginal tax rates and average tax rates.
If I am already in the highest tax bracket and want to know how much more in taxes I pay on the NEXT dollar of income, I want to use my marginal tax rate, not my average tax rate.

The reason for the particular analysis should determine whether you use marginal versus average.

Discuss.

Last edited by biker1; 05-08-2024 at 05:03 PM.
Old 05-09-2024, 01:54 AM
Gold member

Do people with gas carts not have to pay that $1.15 / Day SECO maintenance charge?
I know people with gas carts have to pay the State/Fed road tax ($0.6066).
Is there road tax on ethanol-free gasoline?

$0.1121 - $0.03 = $0.0821

Am I missing something? I did round up for the tax and fee.

I don't know what SECO charges others. The key is the watt-hours per mile figure.

I think hotbucks depends on NatGas spot price...today is $2.18. That's free gas with a $2.18 delivery charge NatGas is flared off at oil well heads so it is literally a free resource in the USA at Marcellus and Bakken.

Last edited by MorTech; 05-09-2024 at 05:42 AM.
Old 05-09-2024, 02:10 AM
Gold member

1.Charge your golf cart full. Note tire pressure and outside temp. Reset mileage to zero.
2.Drive around normally on the MMPs until about 1/4 charge left.
3.Plug Kill-A-Watt into wall and charger plug into Kill-A-Watt meter.
4.Press and hold "reset" on Kill-A-Watt meter until display reads "reset"
5.Plug in the golf cart and let it run until it cycles off.
6.Scroll to the "kwh used" on the meter and divide that by your mileage.

That is your watt-hours per mile.

Multiply watt-hours per mile by cost per watt hour (Mine is $0.0083 cents).This is electricity cost per mile.

Fun Fact: any number under 120 whs per mile is less than a penny per mile at todays rate.

Note: Resist the urge to hyper-mile...drive like you normally do.

Last edited by MorTech; 05-09-2024 at 04:00 AM.

Tags
lithium, ezgo, elite, rxv, kill-a-watt

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.