A few golf cart tire questions

Closed Thread
Old 11-03-2023, 07:45 PM
Veteran member
Default A few golf cart tire questions

I was having a look at my tires today. My front ones look in decent shape but my rear ones look to be worn down more. Would it be normal practice to rotate my front and rear tires to even out the life of them? Are the front and rear usually the same exact size?

When it comes time to replace them, is it better to go through a dealer or do people deal through local tire shops?

One last one, I tested my pressure today and most of my tires were below 15 psi. That seemed lower than what I've researched so I filled them up to 21 psi and the cart seems to accelerate smoother and the ride seems about the same, maybe even better on paths. What range of psi do most people go with. I have a 4 seater Yamaha gas.
Old 11-03-2023, 08:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,156 Times in 2,250 Posts

My Yamaha owners manual recommends 22 PSI, I keep the tires close to that, ours has 4 passenger capability (aka a fold down rear facing seat). As for replacements, there are many options, several (maybe all) of the home service golf cart repair companies can replace tires at your house. If you can remove the wheels (with tires), then there are several tire com[panies (like Wildwood tire) that carry golf cart tires and can mount these.
Yes I would rotate the tires.
Old 11-04-2023, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChip72 View Post
I was having a look at my tires today. My front ones look in decent shape but my rear ones look to be worn down more. Would it be normal practice to rotate my front and rear tires to even out the life of them? Are the front and rear usually the same exact size?

When it comes time to replace them, is it better to go through a dealer or do people deal through local tire shops?

One last one, I tested my pressure today and most of my tires were below 15 psi. That seemed lower than what I've researched so I filled them up to 21 psi and the cart seems to accelerate smoother and the ride seems about the same, maybe even better on paths. What range of psi do most people go with. I have a 4 seater Yamaha gas.
does anyone know of a golf cart salvage yard? you know, a junk yard for golf cart parts? having a spare tire, already on the rim would be very helpful in case of a flat.........
Old 11-04-2023, 06:08 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike234 View Post
does anyone know of a golf cart salvage yard? you know, a junk yard for golf cart parts? having a spare tire, already on the rim would be very helpful in case of a flat.........
One thing about Golf cart tires, is that even at low or zero PSI, the tire stays on the wheel and you can "make it home" as it were. They don't go flat flat like a car does. Certainly not saying it shouldn't be fixed or race along at 25mph, and if you have 4 people, you have to unload the beef.

That said, you can often buy factory wheels that someone took off. Cheap typically.

Heck I tried to sell 4 brand new "factory" poverty cap type wheels and tires for $10 each and got no takers. Picking up a couple spares should be inexpensive.
Old 11-04-2023, 08:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malsua View Post
One thing about Golf cart tires, is that even at low or zero PSI, the tire stays on the wheel and you can "make it home" as it were. They don't go flat flat like a car does. Certainly not saying it shouldn't be fixed or race along at 25mph, and if you have 4 people, you have to unload the beef.

That said, you can often buy factory wheels that someone took off. Cheap typically.

Heck I tried to sell 4 brand new "factory" poverty cap type wheels and tires for $10 each and got no takers. Picking up a couple spares should be inexpensive.
Was they 8” tires? Nobody seems to want them.
Old 11-04-2023, 08:36 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
My Yamaha owners manual recommends 22 PSI, I keep the tires close to that, ours has 4 passenger capability (aka a fold down rear facing seat). As for replacements, there are many options, several (maybe all) of the home service golf cart repair companies can replace tires at your house. If you can remove the wheels (with tires), then there are several tire com[panies (like Wildwood tire) that carry golf cart tires and can mount these.
Yes I would rotate the tires.
10 inch or 8 inch? I suspect the manual recommendation was for 8” tires?

Hear what I experienced with 205 x 65 x 10 tires.

When first got my golf cart I had bad back so I let some air out of tires from 25 to 20 on front and 22 on back on my 10 inch tires to give it some cushion when going over street drains. Front didn’t affect tire wear not much weight on front tires compared to rear. On rear ware was pronounced on 1/3 outside of thread within short time year or two. I replaced them and adjusted pressure back to 25 which was sweet spot for my cart for 10 inch tires.
Old 11-04-2023, 08:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,068 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
10 inch or 8 inch? I suspect the manual recommendation was for 8” tires?

Hear what I experienced with 205 x 65 x 10 tires.

When first got my golf cart I had bad back so I let some air out of tires from 25 to 20 on front and 22 on back on my 10 inch tires to give it some cushion when going over street drains. Front didn’t affect tire wear not much weight on front tires compared to rear. On rear ware was pronounced on 1/3 outside of thread within short time year or two. I replaced them and adjusted pressure back to 25 which was sweet spot for my cart for 10 inch tires.
On one of my carts I noticed at 22lbs there was noticeably more leaning in the corners. I increased to 25lbs and it feels much more stable. I don't have enough miles yet to see a wear difference.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 11-04-2023, 10:09 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Was they 8” tires? Nobody seems to want them.
Yes, the basic tire and wheel that comes with the unimproved cart.

I kept them and they've been sitting around here for years at this point and haven't used them. I should probably just put them out on the curb.

I did have a tire that was down to 6 psi and frankly until someone pointed it out, I hadn't noticed. I emptied it to essentially zero just to see when it bows out and you could tell then that it was low, but the cart was still drivable.
Old 11-04-2023, 10:23 AM
Veteran member

the colder it is the more air pressure you will lose. so check your tires more so in the winter. i check mine every 3 mos.
Old 11-04-2023, 07:26 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by village dreamer View Post
the colder it is the more air pressure you will lose. so check your tires more so in the winter. i check mine every 3 mos.
Check mine once month. Usually down 2 to 4 pounds. More in cooler weather.
Old 11-05-2023, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike234 View Post
It's inexpensive to join 24 hour Kart Club, and they will rescue you from anywhere. If you have a flat they can't fix on the spot they will give you a loaner tire and rim. Very nice people...nicer and better than Kart Aide. They're link is below.
HOME | 24hrcartclub
Old 11-05-2023, 06:01 AM

I bought new tires for my yamaha gas cart with a Curtis cab from a mobile tire guy who only does golf cart tires, and he told me to keep my tires at 26 front and 28 rear to minimize wear and get best milage. I've done so and have good success. I do have radial tires FYI. I top off my tires every time I fill up with gas...I use WAWA by Lowes and they have free air...can get there in my cart.
Old 11-05-2023, 06:26 AM
Default golf cart

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChip72 View Post

yes,look on the tire ,it should tell you.....don't over or under inflate.
Old 11-05-2023, 06:38 AM

I have 30psi in all 4 tires, cart runs smother, had 18psi before.
Old 11-05-2023, 06:59 AM
Veteran member

Rotate front to back every 6 months or carry higher air pressure in the rears
Closed Thread

Tags
psi, rear, front, tires, people

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.