A few golf cart tire questions

Closed Thread
Old 11-05-2023, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChip72 View Post
I was having a look at my tires today. My front ones look in decent shape but my rear ones look to be worn down more. Would it be normal practice to rotate my front and rear tires to even out the life of them? Are the front and rear usually the same exact size?

When it comes time to replace them, is it better to go through a dealer or do people deal through local tire shops?

One last one, I tested my pressure today and most of my tires were below 15 psi. That seemed lower than what I've researched so I filled them up to 21 psi and the cart seems to accelerate smoother and the ride seems about the same, maybe even better on paths. What range of psi do most people go with. I have a 4 seater Yamaha gas.
I use The Tire Guy, he was in the neighborhood and did not charge me a trip charge to do one tire and did a quick alignment check as well. He would have all your answers as to as to rotating them but did recommend more than the suggested pressure as we drive on more pavement than the tires are designed for. I would think rotating them especially with a 4 seater when you do carry 4 people (more load on the rear) low pressure caused me to wear just one out. I check my tires quarterly (added an recurring appt to my calendar) and add air as needed. I use 25psi.,

I also noticed low air caused me to slide a bit when hitting paint on the roads.

Here is the tire guys facebook page…

Last edited by Janie123; 11-05-2023 at 07:47 AM.
Old 11-05-2023, 07:53 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
I was having a look at my tires today. My front ones look in decent shape but my rear ones look to be worn down more. Would it be normal practice to rotate my front and rear tires to even out the life of them? Are the front and rear usually the same exact size?

When it comes time to replace them, is it better to go through a dealer or do people deal through local tire shops?

One last one, I tested my pressure today and most of my tires were below 15 psi. That seemed lower than what I've researched so I filled them up to 21 psi and the cart seems to accelerate smoother and the ride seems about the same, maybe even better on paths. What range of psi do most people go with. I have a 4 seater Yamaha gas.
If they are on 10 inch wheels, you need the pressure at 20 psi, 15 absolute minimum, as these are designed for use on highway trailers and 25 psi inflation. Rears wear faster than fronts, and at low inflation they run on the side edges of the tread, with the center squeezed up, rather than on the full width of the tread. Using a higher inflation is thus better for the turf because it distributes the vehicle weight on more tread.
Old 11-05-2023, 08:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,784 Times in 1,246 Posts

Higher pressures for mostly driving on pavement makes sense.

If you like Dewalt tools, this is a very nice air pump. Dial in the pressure and and auto shutoff..

DEWALT 20V MAX Tire Inflator, Compact and Portable, Automatic Shut Off, LED Light, Bare Tool Only (DCC020IB) https://a.co/d/4aOZROZ
Old 11-05-2023, 08:28 AM

Tire pressures seem s to come up a lot on these pages. Ive given a professional opinion every time. Like many have said here, the rear tires wear out at lower tire pressures- under 25 PSI, its too low is what the tire is telling you. The front dont wear out on the side edges because they are the steering tires and roll over on turns. They still wear out quicker with the lower tire pressure, just in a different way. 4 passenger cart owners should keep the tire pressures higher, biggest complaint is the car " wollows" dead give away every time that the tire pressures are too low. Bottom line most people keep the tire pressures too low and the tires wear out.
With the right tire pressures, tires will go 20k miles and you never have to rotate.
Old 11-05-2023, 09:06 AM
Default Great on site service

Quote:

We had a great experienc with Log into Facebook | Facebook
Old 11-05-2023, 09:32 AM

The tire manufacturer has the Recommended pressure for their tire printed on the sidewall of the tire. Always follow that.
Old 11-05-2023, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakerlee View Post
The tire manufacturer has the Recommended pressure for their tire printed on the sidewall of the tire. Always follow that.
Tire manufacturers print the max safe pressure for the tire, not the recommended pressure for the vehicle. This is true for all tires, including car, cart, truck, wheelbarrow etc.
Old 11-06-2023, 05:50 AM

I bought 4 new tires from a web based company for 1/2 the price the local store would sell them to me. But then I had to either drive the golf cart to a tire place to have them change them (if you can, I couldn’t where I used to live, here in the villages I could) or I had to take off 2 of the tires at home and take them in to a tire dealer where they changed them for $15 each. Had to do this 2x. Saved over $100
Old 11-06-2023, 09:42 AM

Watching this post!!
Old 11-06-2023, 01:06 PM
Default Pressure caps for tires

I read quite a bit about tire pressure. recommended tire pressure is on the tires themselves - probably about 22psi. I found myself checking the tire pressure on my 8 tires (own two carts) frequently with the old style pencil type and found this to be a pain in my back. I purchased pressure caps for the valve stems from amazon that show 3 colors - green, yellow, red. There are different caps depending upon the pressure needed. Since they are mostly for cars, the smallest ones I could get were for 26psi but works fine at 22psi - just a little yellow shows. These caps allow me to visually check whenever I fill up with gas just by walking around the cart. Great back saver.
I also bought a rechargeable tire pump about the size of large flashlight that I use to pump up the tires when needed. I carry it in the car just in case.
Old 11-06-2023, 02:34 PM

28 psi recommended by Golf Cart Guy
Old 11-06-2023, 05:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malsua View Post
One thing about Golf cart tires, is that even at low or zero PSI, the tire stays on the wheel and you can "make it home" as it were. They don't go flat flat like a car does. Certainly not saying it shouldn't be fixed or race along at 25mph, and if you have 4 people, you have to unload the beef.

That said, you can often buy factory wheels that someone took off. Cheap typically.

Heck I tried to sell 4 brand new "factory" poverty cap type wheels and tires for $10 each and got no takers. Picking up a couple spares should be inexpensive.
8” will probably go longer before coming unseated, but I seen several 10” become unseated from rims within mile.
Old 11-06-2023, 05:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wamley View Post
I have 30psi in all 4 tires, cart runs smother, had 18psi before.

30 PSI may wear tread out faster in middle depending on how much weight on rear wheels? I’d keep eye on wear patterns?
Old 11-07-2023, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
30 PSI may wear tread out faster in middle depending on how much weight on rear wheels? I’d keep eye on wear patterns?
I know for a fact, that will not be the case. Pressure could even go higher with no issue
Old 11-07-2023, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thevillagernie View Post
yes,look on the tire ,it should tell you.....don't over or under inflate.
Actually, you cannot go by what the PSI is on the sidewall of the tire. That 35lbs that you see on the tire is the MAXIMUM pressure for trailer towing. What most people don't realize is that the tires we buy for our golf carts are really trailer tow tires. For 10-inch tires, 22 lbs is recommended for best wear. If you are pumping them up past that then just keep your eye on the tires as over pressure on these tires can cause rapid wear in the center of the tread.
Closed Thread

Tags
psi, rear, front, tires, people

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.