Gas Carts pollution?

Old 06-18-2023, 06:12 AM
Default Gas Carts pollution?

We own a 2020 Yamaha...how much pollution does it create?

Old 06-18-2023, 06:15 AM
Veteran member

A gas-powered golf cart with a 10.5 horsepower engine that operates for 2.5 hours each week emits 1474.2 pounds of CO2 each year, according to a study by Princeton University.

Old 06-18-2023, 07:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Beauty View Post
Less than your SUV, a bus, a jet airplane and a Chinese coal fired power plant. And while "1400 pounds" of CO2 may sound like a lot, our atmospheric CO2 levels are relatively low, so just consider that golf cart as producing plant food which ultimately generates O2.

Old 06-18-2023, 09:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,085 Times in 2,746 Posts

Quote:
Way less than a car and roughly the same as an electric cart when one opens their eyes and considers all the factors, not just what comes out of a tailpipe.

Old 06-18-2023, 09:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,068 Posts

Assuming you were honestly interested in an answer....

Pollution seems to be measured in the amount of CO2 released and the amount of CO2 released is proportional to the amount of gasoline burned.

My cart gets very close to 50mpg while my car gets more like 30mpg. Every mile that I choose to drive my cart rather than my car reduces the amount of CO2 I produce.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough

Old 06-18-2023, 09:58 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,044 Times in 731 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelevision View Post
A gas-powered golf cart with a 10.5 horsepower engine that operates for 2.5 hours each week emits 1474.2 pounds of CO2 each year, according to a study by Princeton University.

The average breathing, human being emits over 700 lbs. of CO2 per year.

Without CO2, life wouldn't exist.

CO2 is a not a pollutant.

Old 06-18-2023, 10:23 AM
Soaring Eagle member

The question is how much carbon does the production of and use of a gas cart use in comparison to an electric cart. It would not surprise me that the production of the batteries offsets the carbon produced by the gas one.

Old 06-18-2023, 11:33 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,045 Times in 536 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
The question is how much carbon does the production of and use of a gas cart use in comparison to an electric cart. It would not surprise me that the production of the batteries offsets the carbon produced by the gas one.
Electricity is expensive to produce. Battery production is likely much more expensive and environmentally unfriendly than any byproduct from a gas cart. In addition, those tries everyone is equipped with, the amount of energy used to produce those and the lamp black byproducts are super environmentally unfriendly.

“ There are those who believe something, and therefore will tolerate nothing; and on the other hand, those who tolerate everything, because they believe nothing.” - Robert Browning

Old 06-18-2023, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Just take a sniff in one of the tunnels when there are a couple of them in there.

Old 06-18-2023, 12:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioshooter View Post
Just take a sniff in one of the tunnels when there are a couple of them in there.
which proves just what???? Probably smells better than a flatulent elephant

Old 06-18-2023, 12:50 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,974 Times in 755 Posts

Without a battery of some kind a gas golf cart could not pollute

Old 06-18-2023, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
Assuming you were honestly interested in an answer....

Pollution seems to be measured in the amount of CO2 released and the amount of CO2 released is proportional to the amount of gasoline burned.

My cart gets very close to 50mpg while my car gets more like 30mpg. Every mile that I choose to drive my cart rather than my car reduces the amount of CO2 I produce.
I really don't believe life is that simple. The only way this could be correct is if the golf cart used a catalytic converter and other pollution mitigation devices like your car has.

Old 06-18-2023, 02:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,068 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJMac View Post
I really don't believe life is that simple. The only way this could be correct is if the golf cart used a catalytic converter and other pollution mitigation devices like your car has.
Interesting. It turns out you might be right.

Not only would burning more fuel release more carbon, the use of a catalytic converter would seem to increase the amount of CO2. One of the purposes of the catalytic converter is to convert CO to CO2. CO2 is listed as a greenhouse gas while CO is not; perhaps that is because CO has already been controlled through the use of converters. In any case, while the amount of carbon released by burning a gallon of gas is the same regardless of how it is burned, the use of a catalytic converter appears to increase the amount of CO2 produced.

Do you have data showing something different? Do you have data showing a less efficient engine burning more fuel with an attachment in place to increase the amount of CO2 would still produce less pollution?

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough

Old 06-18-2023, 02:39 PM

Are all those Yamaha's poking a hole in the ozone? Is that why it's so hot around here?

Old 06-18-2023, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
Interesting. It turns out you might be right.

Not only would burning more fuel release more carbon, the use of a catalytic converter would seem to increase the amount of CO2. One of the purposes of the catalytic converter is to convert CO to CO2. CO2 is listed as a greenhouse gas while CO is not; perhaps that is because CO has already been controlled through the use of converters. In any case, while the amount of carbon released by burning a gallon of gas is the same regardless of how it is burned, the use of a catalytic converter appears to increase the amount of CO2 produced.

Do you have data showing something different? Do you have data showing a less efficient engine burning more fuel with an attachment in place to increase the amount of CO2 would still produce less pollution?
Nope, no data to support it. Just way, way too much time reading car magazines. It just seems to make sense to me, I am not pretending to be an authority

Let me add to my response. I seem to remember reading that mowing your lawn for an hour pollutes as much as driving for like 6 hours or some crazy number like that. Again, not an expert. Our golf carts, setting aside the EFI, are closer to lawn mower tech than car tech.

Last edited by PJMac; 06-18-2023 at 03:10 PM. Reason: More complete answer

Tags
pollution, gas, carts, yamaha, create?blahblahblah

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.