Gas Carts pollution?

Closed Thread
Old 06-18-2023, 04:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,378 Times in 2,519 Posts

The Villages Founders main mistake in my book was not making TV gas cart free, and go all electric.
For the simple reason they stink, and those exhaust fumes can't be good for anyone's health.
Old 06-18-2023, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelevision View Post
A gas-powered golf cart with a 10.5 horsepower engine that operates for 2.5 hours each week emits 1474.2 pounds of CO2 each year, according to a study by Princeton University.
My golf car gets about 35 miles to the gallon. At 2.5 hours per week, at 20 miles per hour, it would consume about 74 gallons per year, and at 6 pounds per gallon, it would consume about 445 pounds of gasoline per year, maximum! How can 445 pounds of gasoline produce 1,474 pounds of CO2???? Fake news!!!!
Old 06-18-2023, 04:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,086 Times in 2,747 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
The Villages Founders main mistake in my book was not making TV gas cart free, and go all electric.
For the simple reason they stink, and those exhaust fumes can't be good for anyone's health.
Good luck selling that book! And since the developers have no desire to limit short term rentals, which could effect home sales, do you really think they would even consider not allowing gas carts, which are by far more popular than electric?
Old 06-18-2023, 05:15 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,044 Times in 731 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
The Villages is one of the few large residential developments that allow gasoline power golf carts. I think it was probably by a function of when TV began. In those days, electrically powered golf carts had some limitations, they no longer have.

I suspect TV will eventually find a way to prohibit them in newer areas and it won't be long before the environmentalist figure out a way to ban them, in general. Gas carts are already becoming obsolete in the golf world and TV won't be far behind.

Anyone claiming that gasoline powered gas carts are better for the environment, has been sucking fumes and should clear their heads before typing.
Old 06-18-2023, 06:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,068 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJMac View Post
Nope, no data to support it. Just way, way too much time reading car magazines. It just seems to make sense to me, I am not pretending to be an authority

Let me add to my response. I seem to remember reading that mowing your lawn for an hour pollutes as much as driving for like 6 hours or some crazy number like that. Again, not an expert. Our golf carts, setting aside the EFI, are closer to lawn mower tech than car tech.
It's a tough call. Comparisons are apples to oranges due to both equipment differences and emissions requirements. I found 2001 comparisons that looked better than 2010 comparisons but with the expectation that 2018 regulations would close the gap again. In addition, small engine testing usually measured the pollutants that are removed by catalytic converters but didn't consider the CO2 that are produced.

Emissions from small engines are not as clean as those from highly-regulated automobiles. Still, in striving to make the ride smoother, quieter, and cleaner (less fumes), I would guess that they aren't as bad as the lawnmowers used in the comparisons.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 06-18-2023, 06:52 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,095 Times in 374 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelevision View Post
A gas-powered golf cart with a 10.5 horsepower engine that operates for 2.5 hours each week emits 1474.2 pounds of CO2 each year, according to a study by Princeton University.
Calculation: ( Apology if my math is rusty)

Looking at the thread and facts given: 2.5 hours use per week, speed limit 20 MPH, quote 50 MPG , weight gallon of gas 6 pounds, pounds of CO2 emitted per year 1474.2.

2.5 hours at 20 miles per hour =50 miles per week at 50 Miles per gallon= 1 gallon per week times 52 weeks per year= 52 gallons per year times 6 pounds per gallon= 312 pounds gas used per year.

Seems something is wrong. My math? Est of MPG (Even at 12 MPG) weight of gas used is less the Pounds of CO2 produced .

Must be something scientific like combustion of gas carbon used combines with more oxygen weight than carbon weight by a function of their molecular weight. Not worth discussing molecular weight.

It seems that we are all talking about some number that none of us question and then progress into our save the world discussions.
Old 06-18-2023, 06:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL99 View Post
The Villages is one of the few large residential developments that allow gasoline power golf carts. I think it was probably by a function of when TV began. In those days, electrically powered golf carts had some limitations, they no longer have.

I suspect TV will eventually find a way to prohibit them in newer areas and it won't be long before the environmentalist figure out a way to ban them, in general. Gas carts are already becoming obsolete in the golf world and TV won't be far behind.

Anyone claiming that gasoline powered gas carts are better for the environment, has been sucking fumes and should clear their heads before typing.
Gas carts are not better for the environment, they’re just simply better
Old 06-18-2023, 07:00 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdjed View Post
Calculation: ( Apology if my math is rusty)

Looking at the thread and facts given: 2.5 hours use per week, speed limit 20 MPH, quote 50 MPG , weight gallon of gas 6 pounds, pounds of CO2 emitted per year 1474.2.

2.5 hours at 20 miles per hour =50 miles per week at 50 Miles per gallon= 1 gallon per week times 52 weeks per year= 52 gallons per year times 6 pounds per gallon= 312 pounds gas used per year.

Seems something is wrong. My math? Est of MPG (Even at 12 MPG) weight of gas used is less the Pounds of CO2 produced .

Must be something scientific like combustion of gas carbon used combines with more oxygen weight than carbon weight by a function of their molecular weight. Not worth discussing molecular weight.

It seems that we are all talking about some number that none of us question and then progress into our save the world discussions.
https://climatekids.nasa.gov/review/.../gasoline.html

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 06-19-2023, 02:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,378 Times in 2,519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Popeye! View Post
The way you express yourself, my guess is you are a teenager that never driven a gas car in your life: but if you have driven one,
No thanks for your participation in what you claim as "Stinky" "Unhealthy" pollution, Buster...
Well. I am 83yo. drove both types, gas an electric for over 20 years when we wintered in TV. and I'm correct when I say gas does stink, and the fumes are not good for your health.
You need to eat more more spinach.
Bill..
Old 06-19-2023, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Way less than a car and roughly the same as an electric cart when one opens their eyes and considers all the factors, not just what comes out of a tailpipe.
Yeppers!
Old 06-19-2023, 05:52 AM

Love my electric Star. No noise pollution or smell pollution. Not sure how gas vs electricity production compare for co2 but I can talk at low volume and have a pleasant ride everyday.
Old 06-19-2023, 06:04 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joecool View Post
Love my electric Star. No noise pollution or smell pollution. Not sure how gas vs electricity production compare for co2 but I can talk at low volume and have a pleasant ride everyday.
Please let us all know how pleasant the ride is when your battery dies 5 miles from home.
Old 06-19-2023, 06:31 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Please let us all know how pleasant the ride is when your battery dies 5 miles from home.
I have not experienced that but I imagine the ride is very similar to when you run out of gas 4 miles from home.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 06-19-2023, 06:39 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
I have not experienced that but I imagine the ride is very similar to when you run out of gas 4 miles from home.
But I can fill my tank from a can in minutes, you'll need a tow to the nearest electric outlet and then wait hours.
Old 06-19-2023, 06:58 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
But I can fill my tank from a can in minutes, you'll need a tow to the nearest electric outlet and then wait hours.
You can fill your tank in minutes if you happen to be at a station when your fuel runs out otherwise you will need a tow.

I don't let the tank in my gas cart run low enough that I need to immediately find a station. Likewise, I never let the battery in my electric cart get low enough that it becomes an issue. I know my electric cart has a full charge when I leave in the morning. I'm pretty sure I topped off the gas cart within the last couple of weeks so it really ought to have enough fuel to last through today.

Yes, if both carts were to hit empty while away from home the gas cart would begin moving on its own power sooner than the electric cart would. As a practical matter, after steady, non-stop driving for six hours do drain the battery in my electric cart I would be ready for a break anyway.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Closed Thread

Tags
pollution, gas, carts, yamaha, create?blahblahblah

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.