Gas Carts pollution?

Closed Thread
Old 06-19-2023, 06:58 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
But I can fill my tank from a can in minutes, you'll need a tow to the nearest electric outlet and then wait hours.
Run out of gas? Run out of electricity? Never happens unless you're just plain stupid.
Old 06-19-2023, 07:05 AM

Depends on how much you drive it!
Old 06-19-2023, 07:42 AM
Veteran member

Pollution is 1 issue but hazardous waste is more important. How are your electric golf carts and EVs recharged? A lot of them by coal plants, most people think electric is all pure, it’s not. How much of our natural resources are used to create lithium batteries. Then you got disposing issues of the batteries which are hazardous waste products and if you have these hazardous waste sites near drinking water reservoirs. They have these same issues in the northwest next to the Columbia river
Old 06-19-2023, 07:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,277 Times in 4,297 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
You can fill your tank in minutes if you happen to be at a station when your fuel runs out otherwise you will need a tow.
There are several companies who will deliver gas to your cart within 1/2 hour...

All for a nominal fee... No tow needed...

-Tom Petty
Old 06-19-2023, 07:51 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,046 Times in 731 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Gas carts are not better for the environment, they’re just simply better
There you have it!

You read here, you need no further evidence!
Old 06-19-2023, 07:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,380 Times in 2,520 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Good luck selling that book! And since the developers have no desire to limit short term rentals, which could effect home sales, do you really think they would even consider not allowing gas carts, which are by far more popular than electric?
Wasn't trying to sell anything.
Just think TV should have made it all electric from the beginning, and I never even suggested banning gas carts as an option.
As you say, certainly not going to happen now.
Old 06-19-2023, 08:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,087 Times in 2,748 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
Wasn't trying to sell anything.
Just think TV should have made it all electric from the beginning, and I never even suggested banning gas carts as an option.
As you say, certainly not going to happen now.
And how exactly would they have made the villages all electric without banning gas carts? Without explicitly banning gas carts, people would buy what they consider to be their best option. Just look around and you will see what most people consider the best option, YAMAHA GAS CARTS.
Old 06-19-2023, 08:33 AM

none
Old 06-19-2023, 08:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,068 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
And how exactly would they have made the villages all electric without banning gas carts? Without explicitly banning gas carts, people would buy what they consider to be their best option. Just look around and you will see what most people consider the best option, YAMAHA GAS CARTS.
I believe if you look around you will notice that Yamaha gas carts no longer have the dominance they did even three years ago. They are still the most common cart but they used to be almost the ONLY cart. Today, there are a whole lot of other carts on the paths.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 06-19-2023, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL99 View Post
The Villages is one of the few large residential developments that allow gasoline power golf carts. I think it was probably by a function of when TV began. In those days, electrically powered golf carts had some limitations, they no longer have.

I suspect TV will eventually find a way to prohibit them in newer areas and it won't be long before the environmentalist figure out a way to ban them, in general. Gas carts are already becoming obsolete in the golf world and TV won't be far behind.

Anyone claiming that gasoline powered gas carts are better for the environment, has been sucking fumes and should clear their heads before typing.
Golf Carts are designed for limited short distances such as golf courses and small mobile home communities. Golf Car are designed with more car like features such as headlights, turn signals, speakers, upgrade seats, enclosures, etc. and for use as a more of a main mode of transportation. The Villages is the largest 55+ community and that’s why gas golf cars will always be here. Lithium battery powered golf cars are very expensive, do not have the range, take much longer time to refuel. The FAA will not allow lithium batteries in the cargo hole of passenger aircraft, why would you want a large lithium battery in home with your family?
Old 06-19-2023, 09:05 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Beauty View Post
We own a 2020 Yamaha...how much pollution does it create?
I have an ‘09 Yamaha that burns about three gallons of gas a month. Not much pollution in three gallons of gas.
Old 06-19-2023, 09:22 AM

Given that the OP asked about the pollution coming from a gas powered golf cart, it is interesting to see how far in the weeds this thread has gone.

To the OP - A few people have answered the CO2 question. The other pollutants (NOx, CO, and unburned hydrocarbons) are important as well. On a car, these are significantly reduced by the catalytic converter. While a quick google search turned up some state and national figures, I did not find figures for gasoline engines in golf carts. NIOSH did have a report of a farmer who died after being in an enclosed space for 30 minutes with an 11 HP gasoline engine running. While this is not a quantitative number, it does show that a significant amount of CO was produced. If I can track down some reliable figures for the pollutants in the exhaust of small, 4 stroke engines, I will let you know.

— Joan Robinson, “Contributions to Modern Economics” (1978)
Old 06-19-2023, 09:23 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,046 Times in 731 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomPerry View Post
The FAA will not allow lithium batteries in the cargo hole of passenger aircraft, why would you want a large lithium battery in home with your family?
No, but they're allowed INSIDE the passenger compartment.

Perhaps you should check the regulations, but I believe the FAA also prohibits "containers of gasoline" from being checked as luggage.

Of course, keeping a few gallons of gas in your garage, shouldn't be of any concern to your family.
Old 06-19-2023, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomPerry View Post
Golf Carts are designed for limited short distances such as golf courses and small mobile home communities. Golf Car are designed with more car like features such as headlights, turn signals, speakers, upgrade seats, enclosures, etc. and for use as a more of a main mode of transportation. The Villages is the largest 55+ community and that’s why gas golf cars will always be here. Lithium battery powered golf cars are very expensive, do not have the range, take much longer time to refuel. The FAA will not allow lithium batteries in the cargo hole of passenger aircraft, why would you want a large lithium battery in home with your family?
Does the FAA allow a gallon of gasoline in the cargo hold of a passenger plane? Just trying to get a comparison…

— Joan Robinson, “Contributions to Modern Economics” (1978)
Old 06-19-2023, 09:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,277 Times in 4,297 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
I believe if you look around you will notice that Yamaha gas carts no longer have the dominance they did even three years ago. They are still the most common cart but they used to be almost the ONLY cart. Today, there are a whole lot of other carts on the paths.
Interesting premise. Not sure I agree...

I'm going to start a poll. Let's see what the numbers say...

Edit: Can anyone find a link that let's you add a poll?

-Tom Petty
Closed Thread

Tags
pollution, gas, carts, yamaha, create?blahblahblah

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.