Gas carts - Yamaha or Club?

Closed Thread
Old 06-24-2012, 06:42 AM

Personal preference gas or electric. I can tell you that the electric NEW gets 45 to 60 miles in range but then when the batteries get older they get less and less range you have a problem going up golf course slops or the golf cart bridge. Gas up once a month full power and a range of 300 miles or all month for me. I have a Yamaha gas and change the oil twice a year (one quart of Mobile 1) $6.00. I would never expect the engine to blow! If you change the oil and that is cheap and easy to do you will never have a problem with it.
I have heard the alluminum frame on the Club Cars prevents rust in your driveway in later years. My Yamaha is 12 years old and no rust in the driveway or garage yet.
Old 06-24-2012, 07:07 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-n-Brillo View Post
That's just because you've never had ME in your garage before, John......

Bill
Good one Bill!!!!!

"Don't curse the darkness when you can light a candle"
Old 06-24-2012, 07:21 AM
Veteran member

Thanks everyone for all the information. I have been checking on line, paper classifieds, walking Sumter Landing, and even stopped by The Villages Golf Cart store checking prices. It seems that gas carts run about 75% - 100% more than electric carts of the same years. This may be due to large demand for gas carts. I was told most people are changing from electric to gas leaving a bigger supply of electric carts. The store said gas was 97% of sales.They also recommended to by 07 and newer because of the upgrades to the carts. I'm sure that I'm not the only one looking for a very good used cart at the best price. I still have a month before closing on the house so I will keep doing what I'm doing. Worst case scenario, I can ride my bicycle until.
Old 06-24-2012, 07:31 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

Go with the one you get for the best buy. Either cart is fine, both work well. I have a gas Yamaha and an electric Yamaha. Both have pro's and con's, but very few con's with either one. Both work very well. Good ride, good range, good features.

If I only had one cart it would be the Gas Yamaha. Just keep a one gallon gas can full. When you get low, take the gas can and cart, go to a station, dump the full can in the cart and then fill the one gallon can and cart with new gas. Change the oil with either cart twice a year and they will run forever.

I only know one person to ever wear out a gas cart. And they run a home watch business and drive it probably 50 to 75 miles a day year around. The cart had many thousands miles on it when they bought it used and then it still lasted 5 years before giving up. And that cart was a late 90's gas Yamaha.

Pretty challenging for the average person to ever wear out a gas Yamaha. And my guess would be the same for a gas Club Car so buy the one you get for the best deal.
Old 06-24-2012, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getdul981 View Post
You only need 1 or 2 gallons to keep on hand in case you get low and don't think you can make it to the gas station. Remember, you get about 40-50 mpg. When you do get gas, dump the gas in the gas can in your car and refill it with fresh gas.
I don't keep a gas can I use the "filling" station only. It's not like you are at the staion every day or week I usually get gas about every three to four weeks.
Old 06-24-2012, 10:54 AM
Default Point Taken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-n-Brillo View Post
That's just because you've never had ME in your garage before, John......

Bill
Quote:
Originally Posted by getdul981 View Post
You only need 1 or 2 gallons to keep on hand in case you get low and don't think you can make it to the gas station. Remember, you get about 40-50 mpg. When you do get gas, dump the gas in the gas can in your car and refill it with fresh gas.
See. . .that's what happens when a guy like me (who isn't there yet and has no cart) makes an "assumption". . . y'all came to my rescue and set me straight. But, in my defense (which I must do) I have rented and used a gas cart. I guess the fumes I referred to were in the garage when I started up, etc.

Thanks for setting this "soon to be frog" on the straight and narrow! One day maybe we can all gather at a watering hole and the first round is on me! That includes popcorn too Bill!
Old 06-24-2012, 11:42 AM

We have a remanufactured club car bought in 2004. We upgraded the batteries by Battery Boys and have over a 60 mile range.
We run all over including from 466 to 466A everyday and have never even seen the battery gauge go down. Sometimes we go days without plugging it in. It is bogus to say electric doesn't have range. All you need to do is upgrade your batteries.
My neighbor borrows our electric when she has company so her company can enjoy the ride, talking on the ride and no odor!!!! We' get their loud stinky gas cart and hate it.
Old 06-24-2012, 12:08 PM
Default Love our Electric Club cart

Just looked at responses. We are on a dead end street and 12 have electric and two gas.

Since 2004 we have had no mechanical issues and got 4 years out of first batteries and have 4 years on upgraded batteries so far and they act new. Also, we use our cart everyday as we live here year around.

Giving you our experience. There is a great deal of misinformation on electric.

And of course we don't have to go to a gas station or store gas. Newer homes really have a distance to find the one gas station which is usually 10 cent higher than ones on 466 or 441. Plus the station has closed many times.
Old 06-24-2012, 01:28 PM

I had a gas Club Car and now have 2 Yahama gas carts, I've never had any major problems with any of them. I believe either make is a good choice.
Old 06-24-2012, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijusluvit View Post
I think it's a bit odd that some electric cart owners seem so passionate about how superior their carts are to gas carts. When someone asks about which kind of cart is better, the electric folks pop up and seem to to want to SELL you a cart, like the guy with the big smile and the polyester suit at the used car lot.

In my eight years in TV I have not heard any real complaints about Club Car or Yamaha gas carts. The owners don't agree that their carts are 'loud' or 'smelly'. They just drive them anywhere and enjoy them. But I do hear lots of griping about having to replace batteries, controllers, etc., frequently in electric carts. These are reinvestments that cost hundreds of dollars. And, many electric owners admit they would not leave home without a tow rope.
Absolutely, I can't tell you how many times I've heard my friends say I just spent $600 or $800 on batteries!
Old 06-24-2012, 11:34 PM
Gold member
Default Gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesports View Post
Just looked at responses. We are on a dead end street and 12 have electric and two gas.

Since 2004 we have had no mechanical issues and got 4 years out of first batteries and have 4 years on upgraded batteries so far and they act new. Also, we use our cart everyday as we live here year around.

Giving you our experience. There is a great deal of misinformation on electric.

And of course we don't have to go to a gas station or store gas. Newer homes really have a distance to find the one gas station which is usually 10 cent higher than ones on 466 or 441. Plus the station has closed many times.
And how much does one spend on Gas at $4.00 a Gallon after four years of constant running around? And Oil changes and service .Bet it about equals the price of new batteries every 4-5 years.

Lets see I have been told the average cart travels 6000 miles a year. So at 40 miles per gallon = 150 gallons of fuel. 150 gallons at $3.5 average = $525 per year for fuel. Times 4 years = $2100.00 And then we add on at least $100 a year in Oil Service thats another $400 so lets say $2500 over four years. VS $800 worth of fresh batteries
Old 06-25-2012, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarGuys View Post
And how much does one spend on Gas at $4.00 a Gallon after four years of constant running around? And Oil changes and service .Bet it about equals the price of new batteries every 4-5 years.

Lets see I have been told the average cart travels 6000 miles a year. So at 40 miles per gallon = 150 gallons of fuel. 150 gallons at $3.5 average = $525 per year for fuel. Times 4 years = $2100.00 And then we add on at least $100 a year in Oil Service thats another $400 so lets say $2500 over four years. VS $800 worth of fresh batteries
And are you plugging your cart into your neighbors electric because the way you post you don't mention the cost of the electricity for your cart.
Old 06-25-2012, 05:00 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

Quote:

$100 a year in oil service? What is that? A gas cart takes one quart of oil for an oil change done at most twice a year. Maybe $12? As for annual maintenance, having one of each type, at least three different places I have used charge the same.

If you go to the golf cart store in LSL they have a chart that looks at all cost for gas and electric. They will give you a copy. It looks at gas, maintenance, cost of batteries, cost of electricity, and is quite comprehensive. It shows that total electric is about 20% more expensive to operate every month then gas. And I realize NOBODY on either side of this very dumb argument will agree with anything about the cost of operations. However before you all start throwing arrows go get the chart and understand what it shows. And no, I don't believe they have any vested interest in selling one type of cart over another.
Old 06-25-2012, 05:18 AM

Quote:

Well here are the "facts" from a gas cart owner. I travel about 300 miles a month and gas is usually $20.00 a month. Thats $960 for gas in four years. Service I do a tune-up once a year myself (the kit is $18 at the Villages Golf Cart). Oil changes I do it myself (anyone can) no filter one quart of Mobile one $6.00 at Walmart. So here are the 4 year facts:
Gas: $960
Tune ups $72
Oil changes $48
So for this average golf cart user I have paid $1,080 in the last 4 years NOT $2,500.
And the biggest hole in your argument it cost "ON AVERAGE" $1.50 a day to CHARGE the batteries thats $2,190 for four years plus your batteries $800.
$1,080 Gas vs $2,990 ele
Old 06-25-2012, 05:26 AM

I can only tell you what I have experienced- own a gas Yamaha g22 (2006 model) never a minutes trouble. Bought it from The Villages Golf Cars (Ralph Wolf-superior) - can't beat their overall service. So happy with car #1 that I have ordered a new 2012 gas Yamaha Drive which will be delivered next week by The Villages Golf Cars. May cost a few dollars more to deal locally versus Ocala but in the long haul it is worth it. Get a nail in a tire, need a headlight bulb changed, horn buzzer too loud...whtever the issue I take my golf car in to LSL and it is corrected (usually at no cost) and a loaner car always available to me when mine is in for service. They are here for you seven days a week.

You decide, but for me I am a satisfied customer of The Villages Golf Cars.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.