Gas or electric cart -- different question!

Closed Thread
Old 03-31-2012, 03:48 PM
Veteran member
Default Gas or electric cart -- different question!

I know there have different threads on the topic of Gas vs. Electric golf cart (pros and cons), but I don't remember answers to these questions:

1) What would it cost in cart gasoline for a typical month (whatever typical is!)?

2) What would it cost in electricity to charge a cart over a month's time of typical usage?

3) How often would you need a new set of batteries (I have heard approx. every 3 yrs. at a cost of $800, but I don't know the accuracy of that statement)?

Please...please...don't get hung up on the word 'typical.' Please give it your best shot, without saying 'it all depends.' Also, don't need comments on smell or noise of gas cart; that has been covered in other threads.

Just the 'operating cost' difference. Thanks!

Gene
Old 03-31-2012, 04:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

We don't drive our cart all the time like some people because from Tamarind Grove down off of St. Charles it's a long way to Walmart and restaurants on 466 and even further to Hwy 27/441.

I play golf twice a week on a championship course, usually Mallory, Cane Garden or Havana and we go to the square once a week and then maybe a quick trip to pick up the mail, etc.

I use a 5 gallon can of gas to fill the cart. Since buying our 2011 Yamaha gas cart last August at Villages at LSL we have used up the can twice and we recently filled it for the third time. So we've probably burned about 11 gallons of gas over 8 months. If we get the 40mpg as reported, then I've driven about 450 miles on my cart.

I actually do much more car driving here than I did in the suburbs of Baltimore. Within ten minutes of our home up there I had everything we needed. Here I generally have to drive 20 to 35 minutes to get to most places since the only close shopping is Colony Plaza and that's about five miles just for that. The Villages is much bigger than anyone would expect who hasn't been here before. When I go to the VA Clinic at Mulberry, like I will be on Monday, it's 11 miles one way and that's in TV and that takes 30 minutes by car, I wouldn't even try to guess what a cart would take. Going up Buena Vista the longest I've gone in my golf cart is the Polo Fields for the Golf Fest and that took 25 minutes.
Old 03-31-2012, 04:43 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

If you go to The Villages golf cart store, they have a break down that shows the cost to operate both over 4 years. They compare cost of gas, cost of electricity and batteries, annual maintenance and anything else. Not sure what weekly or monthly mileage they based it on, but am sure they could tell you. What they show is gas was about $34 a month and electric was $46 a month. And now all the pundits will chime in why the Villages information is completely wrong, but I believe they are somewhat accurate. I think they used gas at $4 a gallon if I recall. Next time you go to TV go to the store and ask them if they have that breakdown of operating cost.
Old 03-31-2012, 05:36 PM
Administrator

Here is also an article on gas golf carts vs electric golf carts on TheGolfCartGuide.com.

New and used gas and electric golf carts for sale.
Old 03-31-2012, 05:57 PM
Veteran member
Location: Chicago, Arlington Hgts, North Aurora, Il. TV since 2002!

Since we moved here in 2003ish we had an electric cart loved it and no problems. after almost 5 years we had to replace the batteries 6 of them for a little over $600 at the time. Some electric carts now use 8 it was coming up on the time we figured we would need to replace them again and bear in mind we had not over the years used the cart a lot. So We weighed a lot of options and looked at a lot of carts. We finallt decided in spite of the noise we would go wth a gas cart this time since the TV is getting so big. We got the new Yamaha one that is electronic fuel injected and got it at carts and Clubs in Ocala. Great place with great service and they do their carts a bit different than most places making them in my opinion so much better. Just little things Ted the owner can explain to you. We have gotten used to the noise and even have an MP3 hook up for music and a cell phone charger and speedometer/odometer. We love this cart and in a little over a month have put almost 600 miles on it. We take it everywhere. Yes it takes longer but we are retired/semi-retired and have the time. Since we love the cart so much we don't mind the extra time. Our electric bill has gone down and we are averaging 4-50 miles per gallon. We are pleased. Look around a lot test drive a lot and ask a lot of questions as to options, svc. etc. It's a big investment and you won't regret taking the time.
Old 03-31-2012, 06:02 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by glgene View Post
I know there have different threads on the topic of Gas vs. Electric golf cart (pros and cons), but I don't remember answers to these questions:

1) What would it cost in cart gasoline for a typical month (whatever typical is!)?

2) What would it cost in electricity to charge a cart over a month's time of typical usage?

3) How often would you need a new set of batteries (I have heard approx. every 3 yrs. at a cost of $800, but I don't know the accuracy of that statement)?

Please...please...don't get hung up on the word 'typical.' Please give it your best shot, without saying 'it all depends.' Also, don't need comments on smell or noise of gas cart; that has been covered in other threads.

Just the 'operating cost' difference. Thanks!

Gene
1) I cannot speak to the cost of gas, I read on here that it is 40 miles/gal.

2) Well it depends, oh c’mon bear with me I am not sure how you have this discussion without knowing the carts usage. That said, I have read from several sites including this one where someone measured the cost to charge an electric cart to be about 2-2.5 cents/mile.

3. Am I really going to say it all depends again ? I sure hope you will not mind. Forget maintenance, we will assume the batteries have been well maintained.
Amp Hour rating matters… Usage matters…..
If I have an electric cart with 8-6v batteries that I use 4 times a week for a total of 20 miles the batteries could last 10 years.
On the other hand if you drive a Club Car with 4-12v batteries 40 miles a day they may last 18 months.

My Dad and his buddy are what I consider medium usage cart owners, typical day may be town square or round of golf and town square (maybe average 10 - 15 miles per day, with days up to 30 miles). They just traded in their packs (6-8v) which lasted 4+ years. I say 4 plus as before the trade in my Dad swapped his into a woman’s cart whose batteries were awful and who only needed a range of 5 - 10 miles max once in a while. Those may last for quite a bit longer if maintained.

I budget for three years to be conservative, I have yet to own a cart for 4 years. I have two carts, my favorite has 8-6v batteries. The pack cost me $771 on 2/17/2010. Hard to classify how much I use the cart and I do not track. My gut feel is I am 15 – 25 miles, I go everywhere in it some days. I just did some long test runs and this pack is in terrific shape right now.

Will they last four? Will let you know after the test runs next March.
FYI. Cost for a set of 6-8V Trojan batteries (T875) is about $650.

Last edited by ajbrown; 03-31-2012 at 08:44 PM.
Old 03-31-2012, 06:05 PM
Sage

Excellent question, glgene,

I don't know the cost comparison, but our experience with a gas cart is that it is surprisingly inexpensive to operate. My "sense" is that less time is required for routine cart maintenance with gas.

As you point out, that's not the only issue in comparing the two, but it is an interesting factor that I don't recall seeing discussed much.
Old 03-31-2012, 06:48 PM
Veteran member

What does it cost to charge an electric cart? I drive a 2009 EZGO RXV I use it every day. I have a meter attached to the charger. After 22 days I have used 49.87 KW @ 0.104150 = $5.19. I purchased the cart new in Aug of 2009 and replaced the batteries in about Sept 2011. The warranty is 4 years or 21000 hrs of operation, so the replacement was no cost this time around. If I had paid for it I had prices between $650 and $750. IMO -- if you decide on gas get Yamaha if electric EZGO RXV.
Old 04-01-2012, 11:35 AM
Veteran member
Default Thanks for the ongoing info

Many, many thanks for posters' comments about the operating cost of Gas vs. Electric golf cart. That's just what I was looking for!

Do most Gas cart users 'cart' to the gas station to fill up, or do you just take a 5-gal. container in your car and keep that in the garage?

Do most Electric cart users find it a nuisance to have plug it in every night or so (for recharging)?

Gene
Old 04-01-2012, 01:16 PM
Veteran member
Default .Faced with your decision, we went gas

Hi there! We had the same questions you did. We finally decided on gas a few days ago and bought a Yamaha from The VIllages Golf Carts. We bought the new Fuel Injected 2012.5. We had always driven electric before this purchase. I really prefer the electric quietness, but living here, the range was very important to us. Also, we never really knew how much charge we had left and were never sure we'd make the long trips across town, after a game of golf. We'd usually head home early just to make sure we'd not be stranded with dead batteries.

Also, charging the batteries frequently resulted in some drainage onto the garage floor leaving it stained even though we had some cardboard mats laid down. You have to keep track of the water levels in the batteries, and watch for corrosion issues. Not to mention that in the future, on a fixed income, maybe the high cost of battery replacement would be a problem.

We've only had the new one a few days, but we love it. It's loud when you take off but quiets right down when you get up to speed. We have no trouble having a conversation without raising our voices, like it used to be with older gas models. My favorite thing is the gas gauge. We know exactly how much power we've got left, and we can get more power (gas) any time of day, anywhere. We can go all day every day and never have to head home to plug in. We're gas and loving it after years of wondering why anyone would ever buy gas. We're no longer scratching our heads on that one!
Old 04-01-2012, 01:17 PM
Gold member
Default Night Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by glgene View Post
Many, many thanks for posters' comments about the operating cost of Gas vs. Electric golf cart. That's just what I was looking for!

Do most Gas cart users 'cart' to the gas station to fill up, or do you just take a 5-gal. container in your car and keep that in the garage?

Do most Electric cart users find it a nuisance to have plug it in every night or so (for recharging)?

Gene
I have to reseach or another might know. Many states offer low off hour rates.

My Driod or iPhone for a Chevrolet Volt or for a Nissan Leaf can communicate with the vehicle and its charger. For example you may get a notice that asks do you want me to charge now at 1.70 a hour or at 2 in the AM at .70 cents

Smart washing machines dryers water heaters and dishwashers have the capability to tell you if you use me now it's x amount but if you wait it's x amount cheaper.

Now I know this is off topic some but I am going to state this. People on this forum know my feelings about Gas Carts. It's plain and simple. And we all agree ti disagree nicely. In fact it's one of the few topics were people do not get nasty.

Gas- Figure $4.00 a Gallon at 35-40 MPG X miles per week!

Electric if you do the math you will be ahead even when it battery replacement time.

Gas- You have oil changes and maintenance. The 10-30% Ethanol in the gas is not friendly to the fuel system. The engine could care less other than the fact you get less British Thermal Units and less MPG

Gas Carts unlike Cars and Trucks- Pollute terrible. Belching PIGS end of discussion. And Noooooooo Fuel injection is not cleaning it up. It helps but only a Catalytic System will do that.

Electric- Is clean transportation. You have new technology Battery designs, more efficient Electric Motors,Smart battery charging tenders that take the guess work out of bad charging habits. = 4 years of Battery life +

There are factor that I believe divideds the troops.

So here we Go.

If your are not a new Paradigm Techie. You wake up having nightmare of" Range Anxiety" You love the smelly clothes and the taste of raw HydroCarbons. You like the sound of knock knock knock chugga chugga bang pop. You have a I want to get in it and drive forever attitude. Wel then hands down Gas Carts are for you.

If you want to feel like you are making a statement . You are not afraid to try something new. You want to make a difference in a community that could use clean air carts. If you can get past TV Burn in Hell if you go electric sales pitch. If you can read directions on how to use your charger.If you enjoy your peace and quite. If you can plan to drive the cart more or less 40 miles a day then Electric is for you.

Decisions- Decisions-

Now comes the Hydro Carbon Police Time out for Herv
Old 04-01-2012, 03:16 PM

Here is my experience with an electric golf cart. I have a Club Car cart, with 4, 12 volt batteries. The first set of batteries lasted 38 months (11,000 miles). A new set of batteries, Trojan, cost 618 dollars (Aug 2011). I purchased a Kill A Watt device last fall that records the KWH when the cart is being charged. So far I have driven the cart 1,644 miles and have used 326 KWH. At the current electric rate it amounts to 37.54 dollars. I have made a spread sheet and assuming I get 11,000 miles on the new batteries compared to 40 mph on a gas cart I am 16 % ahead with electric, with gas at 3.79 per gallon.

Of course there is maintenance costs that I didn’t include. Also gas has a much greater range compared to electric so it is up to each individual what is best for them.
Old 04-01-2012, 05:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,184 Times in 1,936 Posts

What are "poor charging habits" for the electric carts?
Old 04-01-2012, 05:57 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

Car Guy, and what about the disposal of the batteries and the pollution caused by the coal fired plant to generate your electricity. Everything from both cause environment problems.

Others, why don't you all just stop by The Villages Golf Cart store and ask them for the cost of operation comparison sheet. Then go challenge all those facts.

This has to be one of the most stupid arguments every to grace these pages. The information is readily available from what you should agree is a reliable source and everyone does not want to accept it. Should be moved to political, makes about the same amount of sense.
Old 04-01-2012, 06:52 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
The information is readily available from what you should agree is a reliable source and everyone does not want to accept it.
Recpectfully I think you can argue the source. The Villages Cart store is the country's (yes country's) larget Yamaha GAS seller. At least that is what they claim.

So would they say that electric is cheaper? I think I'll rely more on an independent source.

But to be fair I will go get their research and see how it pans out.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.