Gas smell 2020 Yamaha

Old 03-22-2024, 10:36 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,112 Times in 1,344 Posts
Default Gas smell 2020 Yamaha

When I park in my garage after a ride there is a terrible, heavy smell of gas in the garage for several hours, even with the door open. I have asked The Village golf service garage several times and say no problem found. They also say the same thing about the exhaust smell.

I have 2 other gas Yamaha carts with no problem.
Old 03-22-2024, 11:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

How old? Fuel injected or carburetor? First thing look on floor for gas or under cart for drips or wetness? Then, I pull air filter out see if you see raw gas? Should smell like gas but should not be drippy. look for gas wetness starting at carburetor, inlet tube (intake manifold that attached carburetor to engine head) gas line especially at clamps, or if old look for dry rot on fuel hose around engine where all heat is. Following gas line back to gas tank (if carb. You’ll have external filter, usually cheap plastic clear housing) now look at gas tank any signs of wetness or wet dust spots where dust collects to wetness? You also have look at bottom of gas tank. If you smelling raw gas (different from carb rich exhaust smell like when following gas car through tunnel) you should see some signs of wetness. If this if carb and the cart and hard starting and misses and shoots black smoke out tailpipe it might be carb adjustment or seals leaking internally? If fuel injected do same look at system for wetness. Looks like you have other cart you can compare if see any wetness and compare to other cart fuel system. Meaning if you see something see if same on other cart if systems same?

Again if fuel injection different system and all you can do look for leaks or wetness?
Old 03-22-2024, 12:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,156 Times in 2,250 Posts

Since you stated a 2020 vintage, this should be an EFI golfcart, so I am going to suggest a possible leak in the fuel system. I would take newspaper (or similar) and spread it over the garage floor, and then park the cart. Wait a few minutes, and then carefully look at the newspaper for spots, as this would indicate a fuel leak.
Remove the newspaper with the spots, and replace with fresh paper, then watch and see if you continue to get spots. Note where these are located, and go back to the dealer as request a fix or repair.
Old 03-22-2024, 12:54 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
Since you stated a 2020 vintage, this should be an EFI golfcart, so I am going to suggest a possible leak in the fuel system. I would take newspaper (or similar) and spread it over the garage floor, and then park the cart. Wait a few minutes, and then carefully look at the newspaper for spots, as this would indicate a fuel leak.
Remove the newspaper with the spots, and replace with fresh paper, then watch and see if you continue to get spots. Note where these are located, and go back to the dealer as request a fix or repair.
Per writer he took it to the dealer. Doubt any dealer would let a fuel leak problem cart go out the door and tell customer no problem(huge liability issue for them) My 2020 cart does the same but smell dissipates quickly. Writer might check fuel cap and see if it is tightened properly,
Old 03-22-2024, 03:26 PM
Veteran member

2020 would also be a Quiet Tech. Need to remove the plastic cover on the underside to get an idea of where the fuel leak is using Tinker's method.
Old 03-22-2024, 03:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,156 Times in 2,250 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayedends View Post
2020 would also be a Quiet Tech. Need to remove the plastic cover on the underside to get an idea of where the fuel leak is using Tinker's method.
Good point which makes me think maybe there is a leak only when the cart is running and the fuel is accumulated in the pam.
Old 03-22-2024, 07:35 PM

I always ask, " are you smelling raw fuel or exhaust" People confuse the 2.

If raw fuel smell, we all know thats a leak. I have had 1 EFI car have a leak in the high pressure line from the pump to the throttle body. It will only leak while running.

Exhaust smell.....well some is normal, excessive is basically making sure all the parts are pieces are in place and blocking the exhaust smell from entering the cab as best as possible.
Old 03-22-2024, 09:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

I have never smelled raw gas from my 2012 1/2 fuel injected cart. If smelling raw gas should be able to see evidence of it.

How about flashlight and extended mirror which will be any mechanic’s tool box. Even though got plastic pan you can see most of it from top looking down. If got leak bad enough to drip it will drip on garage floor regardless of plastic cover and it will leave stain after it evaporates. Looks like going have block and Jack it up with rear wheel off ground and run it see if leaking while running. Even if does he still going to have identity were it coming from using flashlight and mirror. If it’s such small leak it probably evaporates before it drips. Why has to look for wetness somewhere immediately after shut down. I only smell exhaust fumes when engine cold and backing out of garage.
Old 03-23-2024, 06:55 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,112 Times in 1,344 Posts

Thank you all. I can't find leaking raw gas anywhere. Even though it was a really strong raw gas smell after taking Dad for a 5 mile slow drive around the town and back home. I was hoping it might be a bad gas top but that is tight. Could it be the fuel injection? I've had it back to the shop several times with the same result....
Old 03-23-2024, 07:35 AM
Veteran member

Us people who own Lithium Battery powered carts...
Old 03-23-2024, 07:39 AM
Default Gas smell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Kid View Post
When I park in my garage after a ride there is a terrible, heavy smell of gas in the garage for several hours, even with the door open. I have asked The Village golf service garage several times and say no problem found. They also say the same thing about the exhaust smell.

I have 2 other gas Yamaha carts with no problem.

We have the same issue. Had it back to Gordon’s garage. Manager drove it and said it fine? No it’s not! If you put the side’s down you get asphyxiated !
Old 03-23-2024, 08:36 AM

In my opinion this sounds like a venting issue. I would check your vent lines from the gas tank to the accumulator to see if any popped off.
Old 03-23-2024, 09:34 AM
Veteran member

I had a strong gas odor from our 2007 Yamaha cart. Discovered it was from the plate that holds the gas gauge arm and sensor to the tank. Removed the plate and re-installed it with gas resistant sealant. I assume that the constant sloshing around of the fuel in the tank caused the leaking. Odor is gone
Old 03-23-2024, 12:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyP View Post
I always ask, " are you smelling raw fuel or exhaust" People confuse the 2.

If raw fuel smell, we all know thats a leak. I have had 1 EFI car have a leak in the high pressure line from the pump to the throttle body. It will only leak while running.

Exhaust smell.....well some is normal, excessive is basically making sure all the parts are pieces are in place and blocking the exhaust smell from entering the cab as best as possible.
Older carts smell when they go past my yard. One of several reasons why NO golf cart or lawn mowing machine should run on gasoline. They all should be battery powered. Then our sense of smell and hearing would NOT be constantly assaulted.
Old 03-23-2024, 12:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,276 Times in 4,296 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
Older carts smell when they go past my yard. One of several reasons why NO golf cart or lawn mowing machine should run on gasoline. They all should be battery powered. Then our sense of smell and hearing would NOT be constantly assaulted.
I think you mean your, as I've never, ever heard anyone else complain about this...

-Tom Petty

Tags
gas, smell, garage, problem, yamaha

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.