Gas smell 2020 Yamaha

Old 03-23-2024, 01:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
Older carts smell when they go past my yard. One of several reasons why NO golf cart or lawn mowing machine should run on gasoline. They all should be battery powered. Then our sense of smell and hearing would NOT be constantly assaulted.
It this you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oy_JsiGl4AU
Old 03-24-2024, 04:09 PM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,112 Times in 1,344 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by laryb View Post
I had a strong gas odor from our 2007 Yamaha cart. Discovered it was from the plate that holds the gas gauge arm and sensor to the tank. Removed the plate and re-installed it with gas resistant sealant. I assume that the constant sloshing around of the fuel in the tank caused the leaking. Odor is gone
My raw gas smell is worse when the tank is over 1/2 full. You would think the garage mechanic would how to fix these issues....
Old 03-24-2024, 07:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,156 Times in 2,250 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Kid View Post
When I park in my garage after a ride there is a terrible, heavy smell of gas in the garage for several hours, even with the door open. I have asked The Village golf service garage several times and say no problem found. They also say the same thing about the exhaust smell.

I have 2 other gas Yamaha carts with no problem.
If you have not found the solution to your problem, try this: go to a local automotive repair shop (one you use) ask the mechanic if they have a method to look for fuel leaks, like adding a dye to the fuel. Then get some dye and borrow or buy the probably UV light and see if you can find the leak.
Old 03-24-2024, 09:18 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
If you have not found the solution to your problem, try this: go to a local automotive repair shop (one you use) ask the mechanic if they have a method to look for fuel leaks, like adding a dye to the fuel. Then get some dye and borrow or buy the probably UV light and see if you can find the leak.
Amazon.com

https://www.autozone.com/test-scan-a...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Amazon.com
Old 03-25-2024, 08:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,086 Times in 2,747 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkingston57 View Post
Per writer he took it to the dealer. Doubt any COMPETENT dealer would let a fuel leak problem cart go out the door and tell customer no problem.
A very important word was inserted into the above statement.
Old 03-26-2024, 08:40 AM
Sage

I have looked and I can't find any visible signs of leaks, just raw gas smell. Very frustrating. Thanks for all the help.
Old 03-26-2024, 11:11 AM
Sage

I wouldn’t rule out plastic gas tank. Especially as you say it gets worse half full or more? Didn’t say who makes cart but removing gas tank fuel injected Yamaha not easy task.
Old 03-27-2024, 10:44 AM

I have the same cart more or less and seem to recall others having issues with a clogged 'Quiet Tech' muffler. If it's clogged enough that new air can't be pumped through the system your cart will run very rich fuel to air ratio wise. Just a thought.
Old 03-27-2024, 03:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,156 Times in 2,250 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road-Runner View Post
I have the same cart more or less and seem to recall others having issues with a clogged 'Quiet Tech' muffler. If it's clogged enough that new air can't be pumped through the system your cart will run very rich fuel to air ratio wise. Just a thought.
Interesting point, I unclogged our muffler years ago, a large Phillips screw driver through the spark suppresser took care of it.
Old 03-28-2024, 08:18 AM
Sage

Maybe I should get an EzGo?
Old 04-11-2024, 06:36 PM

Quote:
When I park in my garage after a ride there is a terrible, heavy smell of gas in the garage for several hours, even with the door open. I have asked The Village golf service garage several times and say no problem found. They also say the same thing about the exhaust smell.

I have 2 other gas Yamaha carts with no problem.
I have the same issue with my 2020 Yamaha. I have to leave sliding doors open or I cannot breathe do to lung issues. I have had it serviced twice and no problem can be found. I notice exhaust pipe ends under the seat so all fumes come into the cab. Has anyone ever put an extender on the exhaust pipe to compensate for this?
Old 04-11-2024, 09:52 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strom View Post
I have the same issue with my 2020 Yamaha. I have to leave sliding doors open or I cannot breathe do to lung issues. I have had it serviced twice and no problem can be found. I notice exhaust pipe ends under the seat so all fumes come into the cab. Has anyone ever put an extender on the exhaust pipe to compensate for this?

I added extension on my exhaust that exits out side by real wheel. It stick beyond side cart by inch. When I took my seats out they was really dirty from exhaust soot between bottom seat and attach board. I used 5/8s copper nipple with 3/4 end. ( used hack saw to cut out slits to clamp it on to 1/2 exhaust pipe)( outside dia. Was bigger than 1/2 inch) I see some carts with exhaust extended out back with 1/2 flex piping. I never smell raw gas but exhaust fumes occasionally when engine was cold backing up. I also added fake duel exhaust cause I could.
Old 04-11-2024, 09:58 PM
Sage

Quote:
Maybe I should get an EzGo?
Another thought? When smell raw gas need to pop air cleaner top off remove air filter see if you see raw gas. Especially if carburetor cart? My neighbor has few year old gas easygo (it don’t go so easy) with carburetor. that thing smells of raw gas every time starts it up due it has manual choke and it get choked too much or not enough till get warmed up, then runs fine.
Old 04-14-2024, 07:31 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Another thought? When smell raw gas need to pop air cleaner top off remove air filter see if you see raw gas. Especially if carburetor cart? My neighbor has few year old gas easygo (it don’t go so easy) with carburetor. that thing smells of raw gas every time starts it up due it has manual choke and it get choked too much or not enough till get warmed up, then runs fine.
I will try this.

New problem. I had my belt replaced in Nov. Started squeaking again when cool.
Old 04-14-2024, 10:24 AM
Sage

Quote:
I will try this.

New problem. I had my belt replaced in Nov. Started squeaking again when cool.
If can’t stand the squeak IMO only thing you can do squeaking belt is remove it, clean it, and the faces of clutches. If that don’t work from me I just get new belt.

Another thing if you ran cart it heavy rain and water splashed up onto clutches and belt it may squeak for while after it quits slipping from water.

Last edited by Topspinmo; 04-15-2024 at 10:40 AM.

Tags
gas, smell, garage, problem, yamaha

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.