Gas vs Electric Golf Cart

Closed Thread
Old 09-07-2012, 06:21 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleyman View Post
It was the service manager who told me that, every time I spoke to him. He said the biggest problem they have with electric carts is the batteries because people charge them every time they use the cart and it shortens the life.
Interesting. It goes against everything I have learned about battery maintenance, so I am perplexed by his statement.
Old 09-07-2012, 06:30 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

Jimbo and gerryann.

My response was not in the least nasty. And I do own already, in fact I own 4 carts. Two gas and two electric. As for pollution, both do exactly the same. Just gas is local and electric is in someone else's back yard. I have given rides home and towed home 7 stranded golf cart owners over the years. And it may be just a coincidence, but they were all electric. I have talked to the business owner that provides a AAA type service and he says he picks up electric 10 to 1 vs gas. I would agree that probably most times it is an owner created problem. I really like my electric carts. However if I could only own one cart or if giving advice to a first time cart buyer, my advice will always be "buy gas".
Old 09-07-2012, 06:43 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
Two gas and two electric. As for pollution, both do exactly the same. Just gas is local and electric is in someone else's back yard .
That's not in fact correct, the carbon footprint of a gas cart is way more than elec. I detailed that with hard facts in a string of posts a while back.

read some of that here

Moreover, as a solar proponent it goes against what I want to leave for future generations.

As far as getting stuck a gauge is the answer for $30.
Old 09-07-2012, 07:21 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post
That's not in fact correct, the carbon footprint of a gas cart is way more than elec. I detailed that with hard facts in a string of posts a while back.

read some of that here

Moreover, as a solar proponent it goes against what I want to leave for future generations.

As far as getting stuck a gauge is the answer for $30.
I have read that post and your "hard facts" are disputed by many. And yes a gauge would help some. And if solar ever becomes a viable solution I will use it. For today we just have to agree to disagree.
Old 09-07-2012, 07:28 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
I have read that post and your "hard facts" are disputed by many. And yes a gauge would help some. And if solar ever becomes a viable solution I will use it. For today we just have to agree to disagree.
I agree

I haven't said much about our solar panel cart add-on becoming available at TV, but the R&D is just about done, my partner & I are going to do it.

So maybe you can be one of our guinea pigs? For testing
Old 09-07-2012, 07:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,624 Times in 1,351 Posts

with i2ridehd if i only had one cart it would be gas, because we can't go up to lopez and straight home, we have to stop here and there before we ever get home and usually in the dark. we will get an electric as a 2nd when we come down full time, just for some out and about things, but this is just what our thoughts are
Old 09-07-2012, 07:38 AM
Gold member

2013 Yamaha EFI fuel injected at around 50 miles per gallon X 5 gallons.
Old 09-07-2012, 07:44 AM
Sage

The Villages Florida

How can 6 pounds (or one gallon) of gasoline create 19 pounds of Carbon dioxide?

It seems impossible that a gallon of gasoline, which weighs about 6.3 pounds, could produce 20 pounds of carbon dioxide (CO2) when burned. However, most of the weight of the CO2 doesn't come from the gasoline itself, but the oxygen in the air.

When gasoline burns, the carbon and hydrogen separate. The hydrogen combines with oxygen to form water (H2O), and carbon combines with oxygen to form carbon dioxide (CO2).

CO2 molecule with one carbon atom (atomic weight 12) and two oxygen atoms (atomic weight of 16 each)A carbon atom has a weight of 12, and each oxygen atom has a weight of 16, giving each single molecule of CO2 an atomic weight of 44 (12 from carbon and 32 from oxygen).

Therefore, to calculate the amount of CO2 produced from a gallon of gasoline, the weight of the carbon in the gasoline is multiplied by 44/12 or 3.7.

Since gasoline is about 87% carbon and 13% hydrogen by weight, the carbon in a gallon of gasoline weighs 5.5 pounds (6.3 lbs. x .87).

We can then multiply the weight of the carbon (5.5 pounds) by 3.7, which equals 20 pounds of CO2!

Source How can 6 pounds of gasoline create 19 pounds of Carbon dioxide?
Old 09-07-2012, 08:10 AM

What you have stumbled into is the most controversal topics in the Villages.
It is NEVER DISCUSSED IN POLITE COMPANY! You know how those people are driving the $#@%$# GOLF CART.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post
The Villages Florida

How can 6 pounds (or one gallon) of gasoline create 19 pounds of Carbon dioxide?

It seems impossible that a gallon of gasoline, which weighs about 6.3 pounds, could produce 20 pounds of carbon dioxide (CO2) when burned. However, most of the weight of the CO2 doesn't come from the gasoline itself, but the oxygen in the air.

When gasoline burns, the carbon and hydrogen separate. The hydrogen combines with oxygen to form water (H2O), and carbon combines with oxygen to form carbon dioxide (CO2).

CO2 molecule with one carbon atom (atomic weight 12) and two oxygen atoms (atomic weight of 16 each)A carbon atom has a weight of 12, and each oxygen atom has a weight of 16, giving each single molecule of CO2 an atomic weight of 44 (12 from carbon and 32 from oxygen).

Therefore, to calculate the amount of CO2 produced from a gallon of gasoline, the weight of the carbon in the gasoline is multiplied by 44/12 or 3.7.

Since gasoline is about 87% carbon and 13% hydrogen by weight, the carbon in a gallon of gasoline weighs 5.5 pounds (6.3 lbs. x .87).

We can then multiply the weight of the carbon (5.5 pounds) by 3.7, which equals 20 pounds of CO2!

Source How can 6 pounds of gasoline create 19 pounds of Carbon dioxide?
Old 09-07-2012, 02:22 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uujudy View Post
Electric.

No need to shout to carry on a conversation.
No need to get yourself to a gas station.
No smelly fumes.

Nice and quiet & stink-free.
Just plug it in when you get home & you're good to go tomorrow.

Electric.
Old 09-07-2012, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toms River T&D View Post
My husband and I have just purchased a home in Duval, we will be arriving in TV in December, and staying through May for now. From personal experience which is preferred, gas or electric? Any specific problems with one over the other? We plan to purchase or used cart in December. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!
Both types of vehicles have benefits. Both have maintenance responsibilities.
Two weeks ago a Par Car was parked by the Nancy Lopez tunnel by Torri .
I asked the Ambassador why the car was parked there.

He said he heard a BANG so he looked over. The battery had blown up and it lifted the passengers off the seat. Granted that may be a rare instance but obvously it serves to stress the importance of necessary maintenance issues on the vehicle.
Old 09-07-2012, 02:39 PM
Default Guess what...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruiser1 View Post
Both types of vehicles have benefits. Both have maintenance responsibilities.
Two weeks ago a Par Car was parked by the Nancy Lopez tunnel by Torri .
I asked the Ambassador why the car was parked there.

He said he heard a BANG so he looked over. The battery had blown up and it lifted the passengers off the seat. Granted that may be a rare instance but obvously it serves to stress the importance of necessary maintenance issues on the vehicle.
The thread is Gas v Electric, both types have batteries and any battery can have a failure. Maybe they were lucky it wasn't a gas cart and the battery explode, next the gas tank.
Old 09-07-2012, 06:11 PM
Sage

I've got gas.

WAIT!!! That didn't sound right - - - -

Bill
Old 09-07-2012, 06:19 PM
Sage

Bill U need to cut back on the popcorn

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.