Gas vs Electric Golf carts

Closed Thread
Old 02-14-2012, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAshby50 View Post
Our decision was made yesterday. We are renting prior to building this winter. The rental comes with an electric/battery cart. We are staying in St Charlesand played golf at Lopez yesterday.

We got as far as 400 yards from the Sunset Pointe Rec Center on the way back. I got out and walked back to St Charles and had the wife drive. She was able to nurse it back home with a couple of stops and beat me home by 20 minutes.

The battery was fully charged. I will be living in Sanibel and do not want this to happen again so we will be the proud owners of 2 gas carts when we get to be permanent TV residents. I know the newer electric carts have better range but I do not want that to happen again. Just my own opinion.
You obviously don't understand the difference from a "rental" maintained electric cart and one used by a full time resident. Respect opinions that make sense. Try and get good information before your purchase, and if you are part time you don't want electric.
Old 02-14-2012, 12:29 PM

Not sure, but we did not rent the cart separate. It came with the villa and the 4 months rent. The deciding factor may have been 480 pounds of golfers in the cart ( most of it me). I always seem to get the dog carts.
Old 02-14-2012, 01:53 PM

In most cases, electric is cheaper to own, maintain and repair than gas carts over a longer period of time. I have been in the golf business since 1973. If you want another opinion, Club Car electric...always!
Old 02-14-2012, 01:55 PM

all things considered...was it charged? how old is charger? age of batteries?
Old 02-14-2012, 01:56 PM

what is com[nay name? Aide something?
Old 02-14-2012, 02:30 PM
Email Reported As Spam

[QUOTE=Jim Straz;452623]Your suggestion to not have an electric golf cart as a 'primary' is without merit. There are many websites ( Trojan ), and EZ-GO who have a battery training lesson on how to break in properly and maintain batteries. It's very simple once you understand how it's done. Getting 50+ miles in one day is no longer an issue with the new 6x8 and 8x6 configurations.

Your question about getting your cart to go 20mph on a hill can only be achieved with an ac motor. You can find a mechanic that will change your current motor to do 25 to get your net 21 on a steep hill, but it'll kill your motor within six months. If you're in an accident and your cart is drive-able, it will be test driven by the insurance adjuster and if it exceeds 21mph your insurance is voided. Anyone that tells you differently is not aware of the facts. Hope that helps you.[/QUOTE

So let me get this straight you believe that 50 + miles on one charge is no longer an issue. You also believe that if a golf cart can travel faster than 20mph an insurance company will deny your claim.

In the first instance you never mention variables such as cold weather, carring weight, etc. which have a direct affect.

In the seond instance you do not elaborate on specifics. Whom do you know that has been denied insurance coverage on their carts and for what reason(s)? And can the name the insurance company? Suppose Cart A can go 25 mph. and suppose Cart A is stopped or parked. Now suppose Cart B plows into stopped/parked Cart A. Suppose that Cart A doesn't want to wait for Cart B's insurance company to pay this claim . Are you saying that Cart A's insurance company will not pay his collision claim because the owner of Cart A's cart can go 25mph? Further suppose Cart A has no collision coverage, are you then saying that Cart B's insurance company can deny Cart A liability claim because Cart A can go 25mph? I suspect there are some situations wherein an insurance company can deny coverage but I also suspect that the reason(s) for denying coverage have to be material and relevant to the loss or claim. There are other issues here but to what avil.............

I opine you decide....and if you have specifics please reply. I don't want names but actual circimstances dates, etc of such insurance denials. If you can provide this information then I'll take the time now to apologize and will again apologize when said info is returned. Ijust want the record straight for posters reading this thread.
Old 02-14-2012, 07:25 PM

so just trying to get more information before buying cart/s. I live in Sanibel and want to go to Lopez and drive back. If I look at electric, what should I look at? Certain battery configurations? I looked at a solar power one that makes sense, but it could be too new on the market to buy.

I play golf and am not mechanical whiz. Just looking for opinions....
Old 03-04-2012, 05:51 AM
Default Star carts

This is my first post. We are relocating to TV in May and are excited to make the move. I haven't decided on type of cart yet but am leaning to electric and more specifically the Star SS model because of the folding rear seat.

I've seen negative comments about the Star but they seemed to be old. I would appreciate hearing from any owners of Star carts about quality of the cart and service.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:51 AM
Veteran member

We have a 2010 EZ-GO Electric cart with 4x 12 volt batteries. I think that we have a safe range of approx. 40 miles. My thoughts are that the more batteries you have, the better the range.

4x12 volt is good, 6x 8 volt better, 8x 6volt best as far as range.

As far as which is cheaper to maintain and run, this is a very rough estimate. The cost of battery replacement is approx $800. Thay money will buy approx. 230 gallons of gas at $3.50 per gallon. If a gas cart can average 45 MPG then you can travel approx 10,000 miles.

We are live in The Villages 6-7 months per year and average 2,500 miles per year in our cart. So it would take approx 4 years to hit 10,000 miles, probably 1 year sooner than a complete battery replacement for the electric.

Again, this is a rough estimate. I did not include the cost of charging up the batteries, but I also did not include the extra maintenance that a gas cart requires, i.e. oil changes, tuneups, cost of 1 battery.

My thoughts is that the maintenance costs are the same. As a previous poster stated, electrics get hit with a big bill every 4-5 years, while gas carts spread the expenses out evenly.

With TV getting bigger and bigger, we are considering on getting a gas cart as our primary cart and keeping the electric as a spare because of the range issues with the 4x12 volt configuration.
Old 03-04-2012, 01:14 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Allen View Post
This is my first post. We are relocating to TV in May and are excited to make the move. I haven't decided on type of cart yet but am leaning to electric and more specifically the Star SS model because of the folding rear seat.

I've seen negative comments about the Star but they seemed to be old. I would appreciate hearing from any owners of Star carts about quality of the cart and service.
I own a Star cart and love it. You correctly stated that earlier quality problems have been corrected, and in fact the major components of the electric drive system are American. I often go up to 441, then all the way south to 466a and then often back to LSL and have yet to use more than 1/2 of my charge. My neighbor also owns a Star (he's had his for about 2 years) and also loves it. Our Star is the one with the fold up back seat which we love when company comes to town.
Old 03-04-2012, 02:23 PM
Sage
Location: grew up in NYC and lived my adult life in Northern NJ; and now a resident of TV in Bonita
Send a message via AIM to RichieLion

I have a 2002 Club Car IQ rebuilt by the defunct Golf Cart Connection in 2006. It's equipped with six 8 volt batteries. I use it constantly and the batteries were broken in nicely. I've never had a problem with range. I go and do whatever I want to do. When I come home I plug the cart in (waiting a bit to allow the batteries to cool a bit) no matter how long I plan to be home, and then head out again. I've easily traveled as much as 40 or 50 miles in a day in my little mover.

Cost??.........I don't know, but I have no can of gasoline in my garage and I like it that way. Plug it in........good to go.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:15 AM
Veteran member
Default Hurricane

We were not here when the major hurricanes hit Fl in 2004, but we had friends who lived here. They lost electric for almost 3 days. After the first day they had to use the car. It was the only time they lost electric for more than 1 hr during the 12 years they lived in TV.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Bieniaszek View Post
We have a 2010 EZ-GO Electric cart with 4x 12 volt batteries. I think that we have a safe range of approx. 40 miles. My thoughts are that the more batteries you have, the better the range.

4x12 volt is good, 6x 8 volt better, 8x 6volt best as far as range.

As far as which is cheaper to maintain and run, this is a very rough estimate. The cost of battery replacement is approx $800. Thay money will buy approx. 230 gallons of gas at $3.50 per gallon. If a gas cart can average 45 MPG then you can travel approx 10,000 miles.

We are live in The Villages 6-7 months per year and average 2,500 miles per year in our cart. So it would take approx 4 years to hit 10,000 miles, probably 1 year sooner than a complete battery replacement for the electric.

Again, this is a rough estimate. I did not include the cost of charging up the batteries, but I also did not include the extra maintenance that a gas cart requires, i.e. oil changes, tuneups, cost of 1 battery.

My thoughts is that the maintenance costs are the same. As a previous poster stated, electrics get hit with a big bill every 4-5 years, while gas carts spread the expenses out evenly.

With TV getting bigger and bigger, we are considering on getting a gas cart as our primary cart and keeping the electric as a spare because of the range issues with the 4x12 volt configuration.
Great post, and I'd like to add that when going electric, an "AC" motor is your best choice.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:13 PM
Default Fyi

We have an '08 Par Car with Trojan T-125 batteries. The batteries are about 15 months old. I have no problem getting 40 miles out of the battery pack, using no more than 20% of the charge. I usually drive about 23mph, to prevent pushing the battery pack.

I don't believe the issue is cost but depends on individual preference. Personally I don't like the smell and noise of a gas cart. Also I don't see us driving more than 40 miles on a regular basis any given day in a cart.
Old 03-05-2012, 04:19 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

I bet TOTV has over 2000 posts on gas vs electric. It's a topic that will never die. Probably belongs in political as it has the same amount of passion. I just thank the Lord that there isn't a third type of cart propulsion system. Just imagine when someone gets a cart that runs on natural gas or hydrogen or maybe I will make one that can burn wood. Just think of the smoke in the tunnels. Just carry an ax and you will never get stuck.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.