Gem cars

Closed Thread
Old 08-19-2011, 03:39 AM
Default Gem cars

When previously visiting tv we noted there were certain "golf type" cars that were called gem cars which were not required to use the cart paths but could be operated on the streets. Can anyone comment on these gem vehicles; primary question is can they be used on the golf courses as golf carts as well as the streets? Any information would be appreciated.- bj
Old 08-19-2011, 04:45 AM

Yep, Gem cars can be used on the golf course.
Old 08-19-2011, 05:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts
Default Gem Cars

We have had two of them...

good things: avoid speed bumps, ride is more direct and smooth, can get to Sam's and Best Buy via cart, roomy, most have gel batteries (good for 7-8 years, some more), top speed 25 mph

Bad things: wider than most carts (getting over 441 bridge a little tight),
Street legal, must buy tags, insurance more extended, seat
belts and windshield wiper blades required and included with street legal,
Gel batteries cost approx $1500, some villagers suggest less
ventilation but we didn't think so, service requires pick up from Bill Bryan in Fruitland Park

We also owned a LC-3 which was my favorite BECAUSE I could store and lock two sets of golf clubs if we should decide to have a bite to eat after golf and not worry about clubs being stolen (which will happen from time to time)

Hope this helps!
Old 08-19-2011, 09:02 AM
Veteran member

Jebartle pretty much hit the nail on the head. There are two key/ignition settings, one for golf course and cart lanes (approx. 15 mph) and one for on streets with speed limits up to 35 mph (the GEM does approximately 25 mph and is only legal on streets where the posted speed limit is 35 mph or less).

With the gel batteries you should get approximately 30 miles (range can vary between 25-30 miles depending on load, weather, etc.) on a single charge. It should take 6-8 hours to fully recharge your batteries and it can be done from a standard 110 outlet.

If you are buying pre-owned and you want to make sure it is "golf course legal" make sure that the previous owner has not installed after market tires, as some available tires will tear up the golf course.

We just bought one and my wife loves it!

"Growing older but not up." J. Buffett

Coral Gables, FL, Bahamas, Belize, Wilmington, NC, Bocas del Toro, Panama and finally The Villages
Old 08-19-2011, 09:32 AM
Veteran member
Default Gem cars

Just went to the web site yesterday. Think the cost of gel batteries is about $600 more. The cart is 55 in. wide so definitly wider than normal carts.

Think you also need to up grade the wheels as well for the golf course and and buy the golf club holder. Anyway I priced at just over $10K MSRP.

Was just going to post to get more info from those who own one.
Old 08-19-2011, 11:25 AM
Veteran member

The standard wheels are fine for the golf course, but if you want to use your GEM on the course, the optional golf club rack is well worth it. Also consider the hard doors--while pricey (about $4,000) it makes the vehicle weatherproof and is much easier to deal with than the vinyl snap on windows and doors.

Coral Gables, FL, Bahamas, Belize, Wilmington, NC, Bocas del Toro, Panama and finally The Villages
Old 08-19-2011, 12:03 PM

Just received a notice that GEM has been acquired by Polaris. Look for Villages Golf Cars to start stocking in the near future, that is, if they already don't.

"Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as ever you can."----John Wesley
Old 08-23-2011, 07:36 AM

Thanks everyone for the information, very helpful; decisions, decisions, just one of many as we get closer to becoming Villagers! - BJ
Old 09-07-2011, 11:49 AM

I have a two bag golf attachment for the GEM car for sale in TV. Asking $275.00. Choice of two. I will keep the remaining one.
Old 09-07-2011, 12:57 PM
Platinum member

I think the first concern might be the cost of insurance, tags, etc for a street legal cart. We were told at AAA that street legal insurance is as much as a car. If you are brave enough to tackle the traffic on the streets and cost is no object, I'd say street legal is the way to go.
Old 09-07-2011, 01:22 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebartle View Post
We have had two of them...

good things: avoid speed bumps, ride is more direct and smooth, can get to Sam's and Best Buy via cart, roomy, most have gel batteries (good for 7-8 years, some more), top speed 25 mph

Bad things: wider than most carts (getting over 441 bridge a little tight),
Street legal, must buy tags, insurance more extended, seat
belts and windshield wiper blades required and included with street legal,
Gel batteries cost approx $1500, some villagers suggest less
ventilation but we didn't think so, service requires pick up from Bill Bryan in Fruitland Park

We also owned a LC-3 which was my favorite BECAUSE I could store and lock two sets of golf clubs if we should decide to have a bite to eat after golf and not worry about clubs being stolen (which will happen from time to time)

Hope this helps!
Went to the website and don't see the LC-3 model.
How long do you have your GEM's? Do you have gel batteries? Can't find anything on the WWW indicating 7-8 year life. They are mantenance free so no worries about adding water. 72 volt system is hugh and I like the look of the GEM. Also for me its going to be a sub for a car so paying car insurance is a non factor. The cost having a street legal...
Old 09-07-2011, 08:31 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aljetmet View Post
Went to the website and don't see the LC-3 model.
How long do you have your GEM's? Do you have gel batteries? Can't find anything on the WWW indicating 7-8 year life. They are mantenance free so no worries about adding water. 72 volt system is hugh and I like the look of the GEM. Also for me its going to be a sub for a car so paying car insurance is a non factor. The cost having a street legal...
My wife wanted a vehicle with actual doors so that is what originally attracted us to the GEM. We've only had ours for a month and have only been driving it for a little over a week, but so far we love it! We have been driving ours on both the street and the paths and it has been enjoyable. Ours sure seems to turn a lot of heads--not sure why because there are lots of them here.

I spoke to technical service about gel battery life and the tech said they should last 8-10 years. What I liked was that the tech was chock full of useful information that he was happy to provide over the phone on maintenace, most efficient charging strategies, diagnostics, etc. He seemed to take genuine pride in his product.

We got our insurance through an agent at AAA and I think we are paying about $600/year for full coverage.

While it has only been a week of driving ours, so far it has been a great decision to buy a GEm.

Old 09-07-2011, 08:56 PM
Veteran member
Thumbs up

Hope you have many miles of enjoyable riding! Can't wait to check back with you when we make our move.

Good luck!
Old 09-07-2011, 09:02 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cappyjon431 View Post
My wife wanted a vehicle with actual doors so that is what originally attracted us to the GEM. We've only had ours for a month and have only been driving it for a little over a week, but so far we love it! We have been driving ours on both the street and the paths and it has been enjoyable. Ours sure seems to turn a lot of heads--not sure why because there are lots of them here.

I spoke to technical service about gel battery life and the tech said they should last 8-10 years. What I liked was that the tech was chock full of useful information that he was happy to provide over the phone on maintenace, most efficient charging strategies, diagnostics, etc. He seemed to take genuine pride in his product.

We got our insurance through an agent at AAA and I think we are paying about $600/year for full coverage.

While it has only been a week of driving ours, so far it has been a great decision to buy a GEm.
cappyjon, Would you mind posting a photo/photos of your Gem cart? I googled Gem carts photos -- they look sharp.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:35 PM
Veteran member

I am not very photo savvy when it comes to TOTV (much easier on Facebook) but here goes:

The Villages Florida

This photo is not of ours, but it is the identical model and color--it is a limited special anniversary edition.

A good site for more GEM info and pictures is:

http://www.gemcar.com/models/

Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.