Golf cart batteries...please, please I need help

Closed Thread
Old 11-06-2017, 10:44 AM
Default Golf cart batteries...please, please I need help

I am looking for new golf cart batteries...I am so confused with different kinds and prices and also distance. I called 4 companies and I got 4 different answers. Everyone recommends Battery Boys which is fine but they said if I got the Trojan 105 I couldn't go from Brownwood to Spanish Springs and back. I would need the Trojan 125 or better...what do you have and what is your distance and what should I get besides a gas golf cart.
Old 11-06-2017, 10:48 AM
Sage

That is one long slow trip in a golf cart--anyway is your cat a 48v or a 36v model--take a car for that long of a trip
Old 11-06-2017, 10:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
That is one long slow trip in a golf cart--anyway is your cat a 48v or a 36v model--take a car for that long of a trip
Chat. Have you made that trip in a golf cart? I keep waiting to hear that you buy one. Last I remember you didn't own a golf cart.
Old 11-06-2017, 11:10 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,774 Times in 3,642 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Daily Run View Post
I am looking for new golf cart batteries...I am so confused with different kinds and prices and also distance. I called 4 companies and I got 4 different answers. Everyone recommends Battery Boys which is fine but they said if I got the Trojan 105 I couldn't go from Brownwood to Spanish Springs and back. I would need the Trojan 125 or better...what do you have and what is your distance and what should I get besides a gas golf cart.
I'm a gas guy, so I can't help with the specific techy question...........but, all batteries get tired and lose their range.

Related, but not related................we love taking a golf cart ride from the South to the North. Enjoying the journey.

Good Luck.
Old 11-06-2017, 11:21 AM

I have a gas and electric cart. With my electric it is a 48volt EZGO RXV. It came with 4 12 volt batteries that I have replaced the batteries once before. The last time I put in 6 8 volt Trojan Rangers and I feel it was the best upgrade I made. It will go from Brownwood to Spanish Springs. But if you put 4people in the cart and drove it with the headlights on both ways I would be watching the gauge carefully on the way back. In my opinion I would buy the best battery you can afford. Keep in mind on the third year of what ever you put in I would be cautious on a journey from Brownwood to Spanish Springs. It is not that the cart wouldn’t go 35 miles continuously. It is all the stop and go and climbs out of the tunnels while making the trip from Brownwood to Spanish Springs that puts a load on the batteries. This is just my opinion.

Village of Duval
Old 11-06-2017, 11:23 AM

I bought this electric in 2010 when The Villages was much smaller...lol
Old 11-06-2017, 11:26 AM

That is wonderful advice although the Battery Boys offered me Trojan 105 and 125...they said the 105 would get me 105 minutes and the 125 would get me 125 minutes...so confused
Old 11-06-2017, 11:31 AM
Sage
Default 48 vs 36 matter to some degree

I am surprised BB would suggest this actually. It is 11 miles each way from Brownwood to SS, 22 miles round trip.

A pack of 8x6v batteries will do that round trip close to 3 times. That would not be good for the pack IMO.

A pack of 6x6v batteries will do that round trip close to 2 times. That would not be good for the pack IMO.

I did a ride as a test some time ago with my 2 year old 8x6v t105 pack. I drove 50 miles and the pack was at 48.4 volts, 50% discharged. That is the most I like discharge to my packs.

That one time I continued the ride to 63 miles. At the end I had 47.6 volts.,

Last edited by ajbrown; 11-06-2017 at 11:45 AM. Reason: wording
Old 11-06-2017, 12:44 PM

Thank you so much...I might have misunderstood BB. The Trojan 105 are 984.00 and the Trojan 125 are 1228.36...do you think it is worth the upgrade...no longer life just longer range
Old 11-06-2017, 01:02 PM
Sage

Quote:
Thank you so much...I might have misunderstood BB. The Trojan 105 are 984.00 and the Trojan 125 are 1228.36...do you think it is worth the upgrade...no longer life just longer range
Looking at some percentages:

Cost: T105s cost about 20% less
kWh: T105s (1.5 kWh) have about 6% less energy than T125 (1.6kWh). In a 48 volt cart it is 12 versus 12.8, if you believe estimates that I have read about kWh versus miles, that will be a whopping 4 - 5 miles.

IMO, the answer is NO.
Old 11-06-2017, 01:20 PM

You are awesome...thank you so much...looks like you are going to save me a few bucks...thanks again
Old 11-06-2017, 01:44 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Look a it this way. The higher the Amp Hour Rating the more power you have. The farther you can go. The faster you drive or the more people in the cart the more power you use and the less efficient the power usage. The Villages has become so large I would probably stick with a Gas Cart. I do not travel that far in my cart so never worry about the batteries. If I'm going a long ways I drive. Some how a 45 minute drive in a golf cart one way does not float my boat. Also remember you are only going to get about a total of 5 years out of a set of batteries.
Old 11-06-2017, 02:17 PM
Gold member
Default Re:new golf cart-electric and range

Quote:
re: new
Or an older golf cart that is just new to you. The reason it matters is that the newer golf carts use a brush-less motor. If you do not understand what I just said-look it up it will be far clearer than I can explain it. Thje reason it is important is that an electric golf cart of the old brush type will go about 10% less on the same set of batteries.

You will see all kinds of debates on this issue. REALIZE-people will usually say what they think is right and no consider alternatives.

WE HAVE GAS-you will see claims that an electric golf cart will go 50 miles and even more. It might even be true-SOMETIMES. Now, perhaps, you have two people and they weigh 200 lbs each-that is 400 lbs. Hey, some of your friends might weigh more than 200 lbs. Then, on the way back you decide it is gray weather and you KNOW you should turn on your head lights-that power comes off your maximum range.

My point, my opinion, if you plan on driving from Brownwood to Spanish Springs, GAS IS THE WAY TO GO.

There will be yet another debate but our 2014 Yamaha fuel injected gets about 30-40mpg. The full tank is 6 gallons so on a full tank you can go 35x6=210 miles. I don't know but far as I know running the headlights does not cost you any gas mileage
Old 11-06-2017, 03:09 PM

Battery Boys did mine and I went with T105'S. No prob's.
Old 11-06-2017, 04:26 PM

What is your range...how many miles/minutes/or what is the furthest that you've driven with the T105 batteries...although I've been here 7 years I'm on my second house now living in Hillsboro and I like to go to Spanish Springs.
Closed Thread

Tags
golf, cart, distance, trojan, batteries

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.