Golf cart brand

Closed Thread
Old 09-26-2010, 06:47 AM
Platinum member
Default Golf cart brand

There are a few models of gas golf carts. From what I hear, Yamaha is #1 and the others like Par car etc are not as good. Is this a fact or a personal decision? I need to get a cart lined up when I arrive in early November. Knowing nothing about golf carts, what should be the accessories I should be insisting on that may not be in a standard cart. I will buy a late model used cart if the price is right.
Old 09-26-2010, 07:32 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

There really are only two things I care about on my gas cart -- an extended exhaust pipe (otherwise, it ends right under your seat and the fumes go straight up) and a gauge of some sort so I don't have to open the gas tank to see if I need gas. One on the dash is nice, but not necessary -- you can get one that takes the place of the standard gas cap. Rain flaps are nice but the things for the pool (be danged if I can remember what they're called right now) work quite well. I don't have a radio on my cart but would love one. I have a friend who has a fan in her cart and she hates it -- thinks it's the dumbest purchase she made for her cart.

The one thing I plan to add on to my cart is a plexiglass shelf on top of the "dash" to hold more stuff.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 09-26-2010, 07:47 AM
Platinum member

I don't know... I have a fan in my cart and when you get caught in an afternoon mid-summer downpour and the temperature is in the hi-90's and the sides are down, the fan is a saving grace in the cart that can quickly reach 100+ degree temps as well as 100% humidity. As far as which makes are better, you are probably going to get as many answers as people you ask.
Old 09-26-2010, 08:01 AM
Platinum member

As far as which makes are better, you are probably going to get as many answers as people you ask.
You are so right, Ooper. Like asking to name the greatest band. I would say "The Beatles". Someone else might say, The Rolling Stones, The Four Seasons, Dion and The Belmonts, or whatever. It's all a matter of opinion.
I did rent a car last time around from Jim Followell and he was great. When I told him what I wanted in a cart (If I bought one) he was honest and said "I don't have anything worthwhile with what your looking for." He said he'd get back to me if something came his way. As of now, I am unsure which way to go. A good used cart or a stripped down new model. Redwitch's suggestion of an extended exhaust pipe sound good. Something I will insist on.
Old 09-26-2010, 09:01 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Extras

Tom I bought the Yamaha gas 4 seater. I added the extended tail pipe, gas gauge on the gas tank, added an extra side view mirror and added an overhead shelf. Oh yea also added the dash with the 2 locking glove boxes. Other then toys there really isn't much else to add. After several months we decided to upgrade the tails lites to the LED model and also add the third brake light. We go out a lot after dark ( must be vampires ) and with the curtains down in cooler weather or rain you really couldn't see the rear lights on the 4 seat model.As for model type it's just like buying a car, each one has a little something different. For me it was gas and warranty. Good luck!
Old 09-26-2010, 11:19 AM
Sage

Tom, I went thru the same thing and after checking out many other dealers, I bought Yamaha. The other dealers were not interested even in talking about gas and Yamaha told me they sell 80% gas to electric. I purchased new and only added a high LED brake and turn signal light for visibility and a dash board that I could lock in addition to the standard upgraded cart.
Old 09-26-2010, 11:55 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hannon View Post
There are a few models of gas golf carts. From what I hear, Yamaha is #1 and the others like Par car etc are not as good. Is this a fact or a personal decision? I need to get a cart lined up when I arrive in early November. Knowing nothing about golf carts, what should be the accessories I should be insisting on that may not be in a standard cart. I will buy a late model used cart if the price is right.
Tom.... Just bought a new cart last week. I decided to go with the best...Yamaha gas Of course, my opinion. I did add a few options and one that was VERY EXPENSIVE. I added the new high back bucket seats... they are unbelievably comfortable. Also added LED tail lights, high stop light and a 12V power plug to charge the cell phone, etc. Right now, you can get a good discount on a 2010 model, at the The Villages Golf Cart Store, if you're looking for a new cart.

Do yourself a favor and drive both the electric and gas carts. Take them for a good long ride; up and down hills, etc. I really wanted to like the electric, but.... In the end, I liked the maintenance free aspect of the gas cart and it's range, that is only limited to the size of the gas tank.
Old 09-26-2010, 01:13 PM
Platinum member

I am leaning toward Yamaha and I need a 12V power plug to connect my GPS. I'm taking notes and I already added the LED tail lights that Skip mentioned earlier. I'll look into the 2010 models at The Village Golf Store when I get there. I really can't justify paying 10 K for a golf car. For twice that, you can get a real car with a lot more stuff in it.
Old 09-26-2010, 02:00 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
I am leaning toward Yamaha and I need a 12V power plug to connect my GPS. I'm taking notes and I already added the LED tail lights that Skip mentioned earlier. I'll look into the 2010 models at The Village Golf Store when I get there. I really can't justify paying 10 K for a golf car. For twice that, you can get a real car with a lot more stuff in it.
I bought my rebuilt Yamaha gas cart from the Village Golf Car store and am very happy with it. I added the tail lights (great safety option) and locking glove boxes for security. I also added the power plug since it was an inexpensive option but have never used it. I wouldn't buy it just for your GPS since golf cart trails probably won't be on your GPS. I know my TomTom doesn't show the trails.

The only cart that I have consistently heard bad things about is the Chinese made Star cart.
Netherlands, California, Quebec, California, Texas, Turkey, Minnesota, Panama Canal, California, Illinois, Turkey, Maryland, Germany, Florida, New Mexico, The Village of Amelia and now The Village of Hacienda East.
Old 09-26-2010, 03:09 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by memason View Post
.... In the end, I liked the maintenance free aspect of the gas cart...
No such thing, gas or electric.
Old 09-26-2010, 03:10 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Yamaha for gas. Any of the big three (Club Car, Yamaha, EZGO, for electric.

(In my humble opinion)
Old 09-27-2010, 08:24 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster View Post
Yamaha for gas. Any of the big three (Club Car, Yamaha, EZGO) for electric.
My advice is comparable, but slightly more limited...
Yamaha for gas. Club Car and EZGO for electric.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:06 PM
Default Save on Yamaha golf carts --

FWIW -- TNT Yamaha in Quincy, IL. sells lots of carts in The Villages and world wide -- They will set a new 2010 gas or electric Yamaha Drive cart in your driveway for a base price of $4799.00 plus a big discount on options -- They sell totally Village ready carts and are in The Villages monthly and all Yamaha dealers must service all Yamaha carts regardless of the often misleading advice from local sales people -- I believe the new cart warrenty is 4 years -- Oh yeah, NO TAX and FREE SHIPPING !!!!!!!!!!!! They also sell reconditioned carts, new and used motorcycles -- I have had my gas cart ( The Villages is big and getting bigger ) from TNT for 2 1/2 years and am totally satisfied -- Good luck -- Lucko
Old 09-28-2010, 08:36 PM

All I can offer is to choose one of the big three. If not your choice of accessories and service centers is very limited.
Old 09-29-2010, 07:03 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

I did a lot of research before buying a golf cart. Seems I do that with most things and it usually helps you make a good decision. At least an informed decision. I even stopped and talked to all the in driveway service people I could find. Seems to be an overwhelming bias for Yamaha for gas, Club Car for electric.

I bought a used one of each and have had no trouble with either. I finally bought a new Yamaha gas cart and tried to deal with TNT with limited success. Tried the Villages golf cart store and finally purchased from Carts & Clubs in Ocala. A 2010 Yamaha gas with LED lights, locking glove boxes, shelf, extended tail pipe, gas gauge, speedometer and side lights. They also do several enhancements to the enclosure that work much better then the standard one most places install. Tabs on all the snaps, better zippers, etc. Great cart. I guess where you get the best deal will vary depending on how many carts they have sold that month, but I would highly recommend Carts and Clubs. It's a short ride there and worth the trip.

I still have my used 04 Yamaha gas that was refurbished in 08 that I would sell. Kind of nice having the extra cart, but need the space if anyone is looking for a nice used gas Yamaha. And it has the extended tail pipe.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.