Golf Cart Confusion seeks clarity

Closed Thread
Old 10-28-2023, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmurano View Post
Lithium batteries are expensive to buy then real expensive to replace, which I’ve heard up to $4000 for the higher capacity version, which you will have to replace every 5-8 years.
Yes, I paid a little over $4K to replace my lead-acid batteries with three lithium ones. They are good for 13 miles each (totaling 39 miles). BUT, they are warranted for 10 years and any problems will be fixed for no charge, so please quit quoting the 5-8 years to scare people away from electric.
Old 10-28-2023, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Bought a new gas Yamaha last January from Country Village Power in Webster, FL and am very happy with the decision.
Country Village Power Equipment is ABSOLUTELY the BEST place to go to purchase a new or used golf cart. Better pricing, better service. You will not regret going outside of the villages for your purchase. They offer to service your carts at your home location.

We bought a NEW 2 seat Yamaha quiet Tec and a year later bought another. (4 seater to use when guests visit)
Old 10-28-2023, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windguy View Post
Yes, I paid a little over $4K to replace my lead-acid batteries with three lithium ones. They are good for 13 miles each (totaling 39 miles). BUT, they are warranted for 10 years and any problems will be fixed for no charge, so please quit quoting the 5-8 years to scare people away from electric.
I am curious, the lithium battery is warranted for 10 years? If it has to be replaced within that 10 year period, do they replace the battery free of charge, or do they prorate the replacement cost?
Old 10-28-2023, 06:32 AM

There is no right or wrong for everyone as we all have different opinions. I feel that what goes into getting the resources for electric batteries make them just as bad or worse for the environment. For my own personal use, I bought a couple year old used Yamaha gas golf cart and have been absolutely thrilled with it. I can judge easily when I need gas and there are gas stations everywhere. It seems like I run forever before I have to fill up again. So far after three years of owning, I have never had one problem.
Old 10-28-2023, 06:42 AM

It's all about personal preference on electric or gas. I considered both too and have friends that have electric. I prefer the Yamaha gas, and newer than 2018. If you don't buy from the Villages then they will not work on your cart. But, if you buy used anyway I have found Todd Casey to be fair, honest and comes to your house for service or repair. He has multiple trucks and mechanics these days. You can also use him to add LED lighting if you want to personalize your cart. Good luck.
Old 10-28-2023, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingSouth View Post
Relocating to TV and need a Golf Car/Cart. I went to a dealership in TV and looked at EV and gas. I read the forums and found guidance to include:
1. Buy in GA and have it shipped. (One suggestion, rent a uHaul and bring it)
2. Buy in TV from a dealer.
3. Buy outside TV - "Fast Eddie's" may not be a finalist.
4. Buy used - have on-site repair person or mechanic evaluate.
5. Buy Yamaha Gas - proven reliability
6. Buy EV lithium - Quiet, low maintenance, postpone TV from becoming "ocean front".

The internal battle is between "frugality, not over-spending, being taken advantage of" and "convenience". I can come up with a rationalization for each.

I am leaning towards Used, but need a recommendation on a mechanic or on-site service company to do the evaluation.

Thoughts on thinking or approaches welcome.
Willie’s.
Old 10-28-2023, 06:47 AM
Default Go EV

The price of a new Yamaha is beyond ridiculous when compared to an automobile and the engineering/design is tailored to a vehicle for driving 18 holes in a day, not 10-15 at 20+ mph.
The Gas carts do have a history, one of noise and smell. In addition, the gas carts require yearly maintenance while the EV do not. They are quieter, smoother and handle just as well. The operating cost of the EV is less also. While the Gas carts can go 2x-miles on a tank, the EV’s can’t make half of that, but then you don’t have to visit the gas station with the EV. Just plug it in when you return home and you’re full by morning at a cost of $0.60 or $0.01 per mile.

I have never heard of a course or village that requires participants to use gas carts, but know of many that require electric.
Having said all that, do NOT buy an EV that uses lead-acid batteries. Only lithium.
The above is my opinion and there are plenty of dissenters. Enjoy your time in The Villages.

Quote:
Relocating to TV and need a Golf Car/Cart. I went to a dealership in TV and looked at EV and gas. I read the forums and found guidance to include:
6. Buy EV lithium - Quiet, low maintenance, postpone TV from becoming "ocean front".

The internal battle is between "frugality, not over-spending, being taken advantage of" and "convenience". I can come up with a rationalization for each.

I am leaning towards Used, but need a recommendation on a mechanic or on-site service company to do the evaluation.

Old 10-28-2023, 07:10 AM

I bought a used 2016 Yamaha EFI with only 60 hours when we first bought here in November 2021 as you could not get a new one for 9 months. It's been a great cart with no issues. We now have added a 2023 Yamaha Quietech which is a great cart as well.

The Quietech is quieter than the EFI as they added sound insulation to the engine compartment. The new cart has a little slower acceleration than the old cart. I believe that is due to Yamaha dropping the horsepower from 11hp with the EFI to 9hp with the Quietech. That being said, the biggest difference between the two is the ride quality in the Quietech is superior to the EFI. They added independent suspension which makes the ride much more comfortable. I've rode in a lot of different carts since we've been here and I don't think you will find a smoother ride.
Old 10-28-2023, 07:11 AM

Quote:

We bought new in 2021 because we wanted to - Yamaha gas quiet tech from The Villages Golf Cars. We like the convenience of their service and have been pleased (I know not everyone will agree). When a friend bought a house here this spring and wanted a golf cart, but a used one, he bought from the Villages Golf Cars as well. It was refurbished with things added like seat belts, self cancelling turn signals, extra running lights in front and back - safety features he wanted as he is renting his home for a couple of years. Also all the “replaceable” maintenance things were replaced. One year limited warranty. Not the cheapest but a solid value and then easy for him (and renters) if service is needed. TVGC only sells a small number of used carts that are traded in for new ones.
Old 10-28-2023, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windguy View Post
Does the 10-year warranty cover normal wear and tear or just manufacturer defects? I suspect the latter and not the former, but since I do not have the warranty in front of me to read, I'd like to hear the answer.
Old 10-28-2023, 07:22 AM

The villages golf car store will be the most expensive. By far. They are the only store within TV. You are paying for convenience. When service is needed, they offer free loaner. Stores are accessible by cart.
Many people love them, others hate them (for very valid reasons, not money).
They will not service anything you did not buy from them. Nor will they sell you parts.

There are many other dealers all around the area. They carry every imaginable mfg. Keep in mind future repairs and parts availability.

If electric, only consider lithium. There are different battery capacity batteries. 48v most common. 105ah will be cheaper than 210ah, but you might not have the range needed to get around to far extents. Remember the stated "range" is under ideal conditions. Remember you need to get back home. TV is expanding miles to the south, making a trip from end to end quite long (distance and time) including getting across the turnpike (1 cart bridge today, 2nd for carts soon). Look at district.gov for maps and lots of info.

Nothing here is a straight line. In fact, TV goes out of their way to make curvy roads. At night, car headlights will point directly at carts in many spots. If you have eye issues, that could impact your intended nighttime use.

There are services that will help if cart dies (like AAA does for autos). Either make a simple fix, bring gas if you run out, or flatbed tow it where you want. Signup for peace of mind. Cost somewhere near $50

Highly recommended is liability insurance at around $100/yr.

If you don't bring one with you, give time to settle in here. Absolutely NO NEED to get a cart right away.
Look around, test drive, evaluate models. Think about features/options like self cancelling turn signals, audio system (quality, volume, bass, and bluetooth), 2 or 4 seats (overall length, parking), speedometer, LED lights (headlights, underbody, side strips), lifted (but still can fit under tunnels), enclosure (none, soft side panels, rigid doors).

If any cart is not as 100% factory new, pop open a cover and look at wiring. Are accessories wired in cleanly, or hacked in. Wiring and devices secured neatly or are things loose to bounce around?

Ask about top speed. Many come at 20mph max. You will be passed by 90% of other carts going 24mph +/- (many will chime in about legalities, that's a whole separate topic)

New to TV?? ... Make sure you understand there are deed restrictions that might make plans you have not allowable.
Old 10-28-2023, 07:25 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,076 Times in 432 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altawood View Post
I have never heard of a course or village that requires participants to use gas carts, but know of many that require electric.
Absolutely untrue. There is not a single Village, or golf course within The Villages, that requires folks to use an electric cart.
Old 10-28-2023, 07:44 AM

They certainly seem super expensive for what they are. Having said that, if I were to buy today, I'd go lithium. Or maybe look into a used electric and retrofit lithium. Smooth, silent power.....just so nice

oe
Old 10-28-2023, 07:47 AM
Default Buying a golf cart

I bought a refurbished golf cart from The Villages Golf Cart store in Brownwood in 2015. I still have it.
Old 10-28-2023, 07:47 AM

Wait to you arrive and test carts at the Championship Courses. Make a the decision you want. It will be what you ride every day.
Closed Thread

Tags
buy, golf, mechanic, on-site, gas

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.