Golf Cart Confusion seeks clarity

Closed Thread
Old 10-28-2023, 07:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,068 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomPerry View Post
I am curious, the lithium battery is warranted for 10 years? If it has to be replaced within that 10 year period, do they replace the battery free of charge, or do they prorate the replacement cost?
The warranty for my electric cart mentions replacing the battery if it fails. It does not mention any cost or proration for the replacement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie66 View Post
Does the 10-year warranty cover normal wear and tear or just manufacturer defects? I suspect the latter and not the former, but since I do not have the warranty in front of me to read, I'd like to hear the answer.
The 10-year warranty is for the battery. There is no "normal wear and tear" for a battery.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 10-28-2023, 08:09 AM

We bought one from Carts & Clubs in Ocala and because the wait was 7 months at the time we bought a second new one in Alabama and rented a U-Haul - saved $4k. Both are great!
Old 10-28-2023, 08:16 AM
Default Make it Simple

You're making the decision way too complicated.

Follow the advice of one of the early responders and take a pleasant drive to Webster and buy a new Yamaha from Country Power.

You'll get the best price in the area, a bullet-proof cart, and great service.
Old 10-28-2023, 08:29 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,195 Times in 761 Posts

The majority of carts here are Yahama gas. That should tell you something.
Old 10-28-2023, 08:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Yamaha gas - The Villages Golf Cars. It's a long term purchase,
Old 10-28-2023, 08:30 AM

Your overthinking it. Just go to Villages golf cart. they have a warranty and they will service it.
Old 10-28-2023, 08:44 AM

I sold new and used golf cars in MN and I can tell you that 95% percent of my sales were for the Yamaha Gas powered models(that tells you something)plus we serviced cars and guess what took up all the repair stalls(electric cars)
Old 10-28-2023, 09:28 AM
Default Golf Carts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingSouth View Post
Relocating to TV and need a Golf Car/Cart. I went to a dealership in TV and looked at EV and gas. I read the forums and found guidance to include:
1. Buy in GA and have it shipped. (One suggestion, rent a uHaul and bring it)
2. Buy in TV from a dealer.
3. Buy outside TV - "Fast Eddie's" may not be a finalist.
4. Buy used - have on-site repair person or mechanic evaluate.
5. Buy Yamaha Gas - proven reliability
6. Buy EV lithium - Quiet, low maintenance, postpone TV from becoming "ocean front".

The internal battle is between "frugality, not over-spending, being taken advantage of" and "convenience". I can come up with a rationalization for each.

I am leaning towards Used, but need a recommendation on a mechanic or on-site service company to do the evaluation.

Thoughts on thinking or approaches welcome.
I purchased a new golf cart two years ago from carts and clubs in Ocala. They were recommended to me by some friends. I did a spread sheet of items in the golf cart and found the same cart at the villages cost significantly more. Over a $1500 more for the same cart with options. I went with gas as I did not want to worry about battery life if driving long distances. At the time my cart cost me $15k. Recently I looked at golf carts outside the villages store in Brownwood and new carts were running over $20k It’s all in knowing your budget. Carts and clubs services your golf cart at your home. Good luck with your purchase.
Old 10-28-2023, 09:34 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,046 Times in 731 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMo50 View Post
Absolutely untrue. There is not a single Village, or golf course within The Villages, that requires folks to use an electric cart.

Probably one of the only places in the universe that still allows gas carts, but you're right ... The Villages doesn't prohibit gasoline carts, anywhere.
Old 10-28-2023, 09:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,068 Posts

I own two, a 2019 Yamaha gas and a 2022 (or is it 23?) EZGo electric. I bought the 2019 at Villages Discount and the 2022 at The Villages. I am happy with both. Neither has needed any warranty work so far.

When it comes time to purchase another several years from now I will most likely buy electric. Both my carts run well but the electric is simpler to maintain.

- Every week or so I need to fill the gas tank
- Every month I need to make a trip to the gas station to fill the 5 gallon can
- Every year I need to change the oil, clean and grease the clutch, check the two belts, and clean or replace the air filter
- Every few years I will need to change the drive belt

For the electric cart, I need to plug it in most nights.

The gas cart has about four times the range of the electric cart for a single day but habits don't take me that far and my backside would/did protest if I tried.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 10-28-2023, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Relocating to TV and need a Golf Car/Cart. I went to a dealership in TV and looked at EV and gas. I read the forums and found guidance to include:
6. Buy EV lithium - Quiet, low maintenance, postpone TV from becoming "ocean front".

The internal battle is between "frugality, not over-spending, being taken advantage of" and "convenience". I can come up with a rationalization for each.

I am leaning towards Used, but need a recommendation on a mechanic or on-site service company to do the evaluation.

#1- Any new golf cart will probably last longer than you
#2- The Villages golf cart sales dealership sells so many carts they are the only ones to get the latest and best configurations
#3- Even if you pay $1,000 more over ten years of expected use (most people believe they will live another ten years regardless of how old they are) the cost is minimal
And, #4- Yamaha Gas

Note: Buying used from an individual would be a last resort - “if it sounds too good to be true, it isn’t “
Old 10-28-2023, 12:13 PM

I've always thought that if any of my friends with a gas cart drove my electric cart for a week, when getting back in there's, they would quickly decide they needed an electric cart.

I paid 4K for a 4 year old Club Car DS in early 2012. Most of my neighbors bought new Yamahas that they have already replaced. Mine runs just the same way it did when I bought it...fantastic.

One caveat I'll grant, my wife and I are small people, if we weighed 375 lbs combined, the electric cart would not drive as nicely and I might prefer gas.
Old 10-28-2023, 01:28 PM
Default Same

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Bought a new gas Yamaha last January from Country Village Power in Webster, FL and am very happy with the decision.
We are having a cart delivered from the same place. Did you have any issues on delivery? We are so excited. Riding in the golf cart is one of joys of moving into TV.

Fairfax VA
Stamford CT
Rye NH
Provincetown MA
Old 10-28-2023, 01:36 PM
Default Gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Bought a new gas Yamaha last January from Country Village Power in Webster, FL and am very happy with the decision.
We did the same in May.

Went through a couple of electric carts during my time living in a golf community in Savannah. Was very surprised to learn that most Villages carts are gas, as there had been none where we lived before.

Not finding any downsides here to the gas Yamaha. Worn out batteries were a pain - even for those who remembered to add water on a timely basis. :-)
Old 10-28-2023, 02:10 PM
Default Golf Carts

Quote:

For the Villages the Yamaha gas golf cart is the best way to go. Electric Lithium battery carts just stop moving when battery get low, no warning.
Closed Thread

Tags
buy, golf, mechanic, on-site, gas

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.