Golf Cart Confusion seeks clarity

Closed Thread
Old 11-09-2023, 05:49 AM
Default Accurate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorTech View Post
With any STEM background, one would be able to figure it out...Math / Physics / Chemistry are basis of STEM. STEM enables the ability to figure out physical reality.

That article posted above is just plain wrong..Try these videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdZL8RF3thI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iptLhpK6Cg0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-1psMHSpKs

LFP chemistry is more stable than tirnary chemistry...especially NCA.
Would you consider this video to be accurate? TIA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jTTpyCwQFw
Old 11-09-2023, 07:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,278 Times in 4,297 Posts

Since we're still part timers, I couldn't see spending all that money on a new cart, just to have it sit in my garage.

I found a very clean, 2013 Yamaha (originally from Carts & Clubs) and it served us well for two years. Willie's serviced it once during that time (the tech assured us that it was in great shape)...

But, the noise level and the suspension issues (the older ones have a much rougher ride) got the better of me, so we sold that cart (for only $500 less than I paid for it) this summer, I bought a 2017 QuieTech, loaded with El Tigre seats, LED running lights, seat belts and the nicer hard valance rain curtains...

Once again, I had Willie's service it and we're good to go... The noise level is MUCH less and the ride is VASTLY superior!

I figure that when we do become full timers (looks like that'll be in about 18 months), I'll find a newer cart and either sell the 2017 or keep it as a 2nd cart...

I doubt you'll be able to find a tech who will accompany you to look at carts. Just try to find a cart where the owner has service records...

-Tom Petty
Old 11-09-2023, 10:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
The original VW bug was air-cooled and was quieter than most golf carts. I had a 1970 250 CC AIR-COOLED Yamaha motorcycle that was quieter than most golf carts here. I had a 1965 Vespa air-cooled motorscooter that was WAY, WAY quieter than most golf carts here. The noise is NOT dependent on whether the motor is cooled by air or water. It is dependent on the size, quality, and design of the MUFFLER. A golf cart is designed to be used on a golf course pretty far away from most close-together residential homes. They are NOT designed to be quiet or have good brakes or safe bumpers or be basic transportation. You take them out of a golf course and they are not very well-designed for that use.
......The problem with gas golf cart noise, rollovers, and many accidents is the ILLEGAL tampering with the speed control in the golf cart. They are designed to do 15 MPH and people have them ILLEGALLY jacked up to as high as 30 MPH, which among the other bad things causes the motor to be MUCH LOUDER.
........Isn't it funny in today's society how many ILLEGAL things (like golf cart governor modification) are allowed to continue? We make laws and then don't bother to enforce them. I find it strange that we have 15 MPH speed zones in TV Land yet we have a range of golf cart speeds from 15 to 30 plus MPH depending on the extent of the ILLEGAL modifications. Please find a standard and enforce it.
So, I take it you don’t own Harley?

Gasoline engine only noisy while under load. It’s only illegal if you go over 20 or 25 MPH for LSVs. Why they have speedometer’s on them. Lots of electric carts souped up also exceed 20 or 25 MPH. Every LSV I seen going going down BV or MB exceed 25 MPH limit.
Old 11-10-2023, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
The original VW bug was air-cooled and was quieter than most golf carts. I had a 1970 250 CC AIR-COOLED Yamaha motorcycle that was quieter than most golf carts here. I had a 1965 Vespa air-cooled motorscooter that was WAY, WAY quieter than most golf carts here. The noise is NOT dependent on whether the motor is cooled by air or water. It is dependent on the size, quality, and design of the MUFFLER. A golf cart is designed to be used on a golf course pretty far away from most close-together residential homes. They are NOT designed to be quiet or have good brakes or safe bumpers or be basic transportation. You take them out of a golf course and they are not very well-designed for that use.
......The problem with gas golf cart noise, rollovers, and many accidents is the ILLEGAL tampering with the speed control in the golf cart. They are designed to do 15 MPH and people have them ILLEGALLY jacked up to as high as 30 MPH, which among the other bad things causes the motor to be MUCH LOUDER.
........Isn't it funny in today's society how many ILLEGAL things (like golf cart governor modification) are allowed to continue? We make laws and then don't bother to enforce them. I find it strange that we have 15 MPH speed zones in TV Land yet we have a range of golf cart speeds from 15 to 30 plus MPH depending on the extent of the ILLEGAL modifications. Please find a standard and enforce it.
Going faster does not make them louder. Gas carts are made to go fast by changing of the gears, so engine RPM is the same as when the motor is stock as used on a golf course. The motors are not spinning more RPM like a dragster
Old 11-10-2023, 08:17 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,203 Times in 569 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyP View Post
Going faster does not make them louder. Gas carts are made to go fast by changing of the gears, so engine RPM is the same as when the motor is stock as used on a golf course. The motors are not spinning more RPM like a dragster
Can't argue with someone who continues to post nonsense. Most posters have him blocked and only see his posts when quoted.
Old 11-20-2023, 10:18 PM
Default My 2016 Ezgo has original lithium batteries.

[QUOTE=mrf0151;2268838]Everyone likes a quieter cart so when we moved here almost 20 years ago, we got a Club 4 battery electric. It was wonderful until the batteries got a couple years on them and then the range dropped off some. With the new lithium batteries there seems to be many positives as they are supposed to last longer and give much better range. However, the jury is really out on these lithium electric carts because they do not have a long track record.
It has never been in the shop for maintenance. No belts to get loose or break. No starter gen to go bad. No smell. Quick quiet and efficient. Yes. Oil changes? Nope.
One cent of electricity per mile of operation. Gas is around 4 or 5 cents. When you add it up electric is the proven low maintenance, lower cost way to go in golf carts.
Old 11-21-2023, 12:01 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
Since we're still part timers, I couldn't see spending all that money on a new cart, just to have it sit in my garage.

I found a very clean, 2013 Yamaha (originally from Carts & Clubs) and it served us well for two years. Willie's serviced it once during that time (the tech assured us that it was in great shape)...

But, the noise level and the suspension issues (the older ones have a much rougher ride) got the better of me, so we sold that cart (for only $500 less than I paid for it) this summer
We bought a fully loaded 7 year old Yamaha cart as our first cart for under $7000. The couple we bought it from didn't golf at all and used their car primarily so it had very low hours.

What we came to realize though when checking out what a new or refurbished cart would cost is how much the add-ons are. Every little thing adds up. I think the add-ons to our cart probably cost the original owner an extra $2000 on top of the price of the cart.

We're going to be upgrading to the QuieTech at some point in the next two years and expect to get almost the same amount we paid when we resell our current one.
Old 11-21-2023, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL99 View Post
Almost every residential community in the United States, has banned gasoline golf carts.

Almost no 1st Class Country Club in the USA uses gasoline carts.

Globally, electric golf carts represent 62% of the new cart market.

In the USA electric golf carts represent over 85% of the new cart market and dwindling.

Yet in TV, the debate goes on, like it's 1975 ... which was about the time they added steering wheels to golf carts. The last major improvement to gasoline carts.

Golf Cart Market Size & Industry Share Analysis | 2023-2032

Electric Vs. Gasoline Golf Carts: Detailed Comparison
You seem to forget that there are few places like TV where a golf cart is often used as the primary vehicle for day-to-day tasks by tens of thousands of people and there are golf cart paths that are connected for 20 plus miles, making a 40 mile round trip in one day feasible. That is why the gas golf cart still reigns supreme here.
Old 11-21-2023, 01:21 PM

I have a 2014 gas yamaha, bought used (refurbed). It has been a great cart. But it is stinkier and noisier than my new lithium cart. If ya don't care about the stink and noise, and range anxiety is real to you, then get a gas yamaha like most of the villagers. My new electric plugs into the garage and saves me trips to the gas station, which also saves me on soft drinks and lotto tickets.
Old 11-22-2023, 08:04 AM
Veteran member

As an option, check out Botero Golf Carts in Ocala. They just opened a new location on September 8th. They have locations in North Carolina, Georgia, and Arizona and have nothing but 5 star reviews online. They carry Evolution golf carts, and unlike Villages Discount Golf Cars (who recently dropped Evolution), they actually know how to work on these carts. You can get a loaded lithium cart for $8k-$10K less than a comparable Yamaha , Club Car, or Star.

I just bought a D5 Ranger - comes with great seats (comparable to my Yamaha), auto-cancelling turn signals, led lights, built in speaker, 4 forward facing seats, back up camera, and adjustable steering column (I'm sure I'm missing several features). All this for MSRP of $11,995. This includes a 110ah lithium battery with a range of 30-40 miles. For another $2K, you can move to the 205ah with a range of 70-80 miles.
Old 11-22-2023, 10:31 AM

We got ours from Villages Discount Golf Car.
It's got a good warranty.
We got a good price.
Sales were very friendly and helpful, no pressure.
One issue we had with the self-cancelling turn signals, they came out the next day and fixed it. They have a really good crew there too!

Very happy with our purchase! Highly recommend checking them out!

Last edited by bopat; 11-22-2023 at 10:33 AM. Reason: added a sentence at the end
Closed Thread

Tags
buy, golf, mechanic, on-site, gas

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.