Golf Cart Drive Belt- 2023 Yamaha Gas: Replace Twice per Year?

Old 01-26-2024, 08:34 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shut the front door View Post
Villages golf cars. There's your issue. Overpriced, and when something goes wrong, it's NEVER on them or the cart they sold you.
This hasn't been my experience. Any time I had an issue they fixed it immediately.

I implore the OP to speak to the service manager or call Yamaha directly about this issue.

Yamaha would be interested if this really is an issue on 2023 models.

My 2023 Yamaha has not had this belt issue which is a year old and has 2,500 miles on it.
Old 01-26-2024, 09:19 PM

Belt wear over the last year has been a big issue. Not every cart has the issue as you can tell while reading through these posts. Its a fixable issue with the right eyes on it. Do you really think Yamaha would make a cart that burns through a belt every 6 months? Had a customer who was having a belt put on every 3 months, being told ? " you drive the cart too much"/ Finally gave up with that service entity and had the issue fixed. Now 18 months later, no belt replacements. A trained individual fixes many of the issues that are on golf cars.
Old 01-26-2024, 09:36 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,095 Times in 374 Posts

We have a Yesteryear from 2006 which was built using a 2004 Club Car. One belt replacement. How did we know it needed replacement? A gradual symptom of no immediate start after some use (Heated up). Problem eliminated several times by tightening belt and finally decided to replace.
Old 01-28-2024, 01:33 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,203 Times in 569 Posts

A new Yamaha belt is 31 MM wide. A belt is considered worn and needs to be replaced at 27 MM wide. This is from the 2018 Yamaha owner's manual which has a lot of the maintenance stuff in it. The 2020 manual not so much.
Old 02-01-2024, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsloan1960 View Post
Belt was squealing. Villages Golf Cars said it had reached the end of its service life due to 1,300 miles- which we have logged in 6 months.

We don't really use the cart that often, but if we continue to use it as we have it will need another new belt in 6 months.

Are y'all changing your belts 2 or more times per year??? Would someone who uses their cart constantly have to change this belt monthly?
I have a 2023 Yamaha cart and the drive belt failed completely with 300 miles on the cart. Dealer indicates they need to pull the clutch and believe the spring is rubbing on the clutch, I have no idea if this is accurate, they are still working on it. Very disappointing paying 18k for a cart and expecting quality and getting junk!
Old 02-01-2024, 09:40 AM

Interesting. We are snowbirds have a 2010 Yamaha with the original belt. It gets used 6 to 7 months a year. Still runs fine but I do carry a spar belt. When measuring for wear check to make sure the outside edge looks OK and is not feathered while the rest of the V portion is worn substantially. Had a neighbor with this problem.
Old 02-01-2024, 02:47 PM

Make sure the primary clutch is not failing. If it is, the belt would need changing more often. I know from experience. New clutch then belt has lasted for 18 months and no sign of slipping or sudden gripping.
Old 02-01-2024, 05:12 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,777 Times in 3,645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
We have over 4,000 miles on the belt on our 2019 with no indication that it needs to be replaced.

I believe that 1,300 is far too few miles to wear out a belt but try googling for known issues with that model year.

EDIT: We don't golf so most of our miles are traveling along the MMPs with far fewer stops and starts than miles done on the golf course. Maybe that makes a difference
1960...............this is good advice.
Old 02-02-2024, 08:08 AM
Veteran member

The Villages Golf Cars will not sell a belt to you if you didn't buy your cart from them - even if you bought a 2nd hand cart that was sold by them. They will install one for you though - at the cost of the belt + appointment fee + installation charge. It ends up costing someone who is not under their 5 year warranty around $150-$175 for a belt. Poor business practice, I would never purchase a cart from them going forward after how they treat folks that aren't under their umbrella.

If you need a belt, order a couple from Partzilla. OEM Yamaha belts are only $31 each. They often take several months to get as they are out of stock a lot, but I always ordered two a time, and when I got down to 1, order another two.
Old 02-02-2024, 08:22 AM
Sage

I can't speak for the newer carts but that is not typical for older carts, at least Yamahas. My 2014 Yamaha has about 1600 hours and nearly 30K miles on the drive belt and it is still in spec. The part number is:

JC0-G6241-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsloan1960 View Post
Belt was squealing. Villages Golf Cars said it had reached the end of its service life due to 1,300 miles- which we have logged in 6 months.

We don't really use the cart that often, but if we continue to use it as we have it will need another new belt in 6 months.

Are y'all changing your belts 2 or more times per year??? Would someone who uses their cart constantly have to change this belt monthly?
Old 02-02-2024, 03:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
Two things to try before spending a lot of money: measure the belt and clean the clutch plates.

Find the part number of the particular belt for your cart. Look up the specifications for the belt to find the original (new) width and the width at which it should be replaced. Then measure the belt on your cart to see if it has worn too far or if it is still within specification.

The belt might squeak if there is dust or dirt on the clutch plates. Spray a little brake cleaner on a rag and then wipe the plate surfaces. Even if you can't see the dust it might be there. This takes about two minutes to do but might make a big difference.

I suppose a third option is to replace the belt yourself. If the cart isn't under some kind of maintenance plan and the shop refuses to look at it under warranty then why pay shop and labor charges for something you can do yourself? Get the right part number for your belt and buy it from Amazon or other non-golf-cart shop. I'm sure there are multiple YouTube videos on how to work the old belt off and the new one on - again, about a two minute job.
Belt little tuff to get off. I’d say 5 minute job? Stat at top secondary clutch and work off while moving cart backwards. Putting it on little easier use weight of cart working on at top to bottom of secondary clutch.

My belt was chatting when I first start off, took it and and clean it, was really dirty. I also cleaned primary and secondary clutches faces while it was off. Belt Starting to crack at outer layer sides, but still good.
Old 02-02-2024, 03:32 PM

My 2017 Quitech is on its 4th belt including the original. 600 hours on my cart at this time. I also have had 2 secondary clutches put in on top of the original. It appears that faulty secondaries are causing premature belt wear.
I must also say that I have a 2007 Yamaha that still has the original belt and a 2011 that the belt has only been replaced once.
Yamaha needs to figure this out.
Old 02-02-2024, 05:19 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyP View Post
Belt wear over the last year has been a big issue. Not every cart has the issue as you can tell while reading through these posts. Its a fixable issue with the right eyes on it. Do you really think Yamaha would make a cart that burns through a belt every 6 months? Had a customer who was having a belt put on every 3 months, being told ? " you drive the cart too much"/ Finally gave up with that service entity and had the issue fixed. Now 18 months later, no belt replacements. A trained individual fixes many of the issues that are on golf cars.
Can you share the name and number of the person who fixed it, please? We are on our 3rd belt on our '22 Yamaha.

Tags
belt, cart, golf, months, year

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.