Golf cart impouned by insurance company?

Closed Thread
Old 09-06-2017, 08:40 AM
Sage
Default Golf cart impouned by insurance company?

I have been on this forum since 2009 and have lived in TV since 2011. I have read stories about golf cart accidents that have been reported by the Daily Sun, the Villages News and on TOTV. I understand the laws affecting golf carts and street-legal carts.

I have never heard (neither factual stories nor urban myths) of a golf cart being impounded after an accident, then subsequently the owner being denied coverage by an insurance company.

I'm not attempting to defend those owners who modify their carts to exceed the legal limit.

Have I missed reports of impounding and insurance denial?

Thoughts?
Old 09-06-2017, 08:50 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

I've never heard any but I would think an LEO accident reconstruction team would go thru through the cart just as they would a automobile. When I lived in Massachusetts the company I worked for had a customer who's company performed accident investigations. They did a lot of ATV's, snowmobiles, jet ski's, golf carts, and even ultralights. Every time I worked at their building there was new stuff.
Old 09-06-2017, 09:03 AM
Gold member
Default Not sure what you are thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by champion6 View Post
I have been on this forum since 2009 and have lived in TV since 2011. I have read stories about golf cart accidents that have been reported by the Daily Sun, the Villages News and on TOTV. I understand the laws affecting golf carts and street-legal carts.

I have never heard (neither factual stories nor urban myths) of a golf cart being impounded after an accident, then subsequently the owner being denied coverage by an insurance company.

I'm not attempting to defend those owners who modify their carts to exceed the legal limit.

Have I missed reports of impounding and insurance denial?

Thoughts?
re: Denied coverage?
If, you have a golf cart that does not exceed 20 mph by law, you do not need insurance, you do not need a drivers license, it is not a registered vehicle so you do not need plates.
re: Impounding after an accident
I DON'T KNOW but I would assume after a serious accident what is left of the golf cart has little or no value,
re: insurance
From the TOOOOOO MANY posts on this subject, many people do not understand what insurance is. If, you damage someone else or their property they are ENTITLED to be put whole. If, you have paid for insurance some of the loss will be paid for by the insurance. IF, YOU DECIDE NOT TO PAY FOR INSURANCE YOU ARE SELF INSURED-NOT PAYING FOR INSURANCE DOES NOT LIMIT YOUR RESPONSIBILITY OR IF YOU PREFER-YOUR LIABILITY.

LAUGHING A BIT-I can tell you that should anything go wrong, reading a post on talk of the villages IS OF NO VALUE.

I've read that there is a golf cart safety question and answer presentation at Savanna Center every third weds of the month. I would check my information re: the presentation. I've never gone. For what it is worth, my golf cart is set for 20mph and is insured.
Old 09-06-2017, 09:58 AM
Veteran member

I was run off of the road by another golf cart and my insurance company sent a rep to the repair shop. My golf cart is capable of going 35 mph and not one word was said by the insurance company.
Old 09-06-2017, 10:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by suesiegel View Post
re: Denied coverage?
If, you have a golf cart that does not exceed 20 mph by law, you do not need insurance, you do not need a drivers license, it is not a registered vehicle so you do not need plates.
re: Impounding after an accident
I DON'T KNOW but I would assume after a serious accident what is left of the golf cart has little or no value,
re: insurance
From the TOOOOOO MANY posts on this subject, many people do not understand what insurance is. If, you damage someone else or their property they are ENTITLED to be put whole. If, you have paid for insurance some of the loss will be paid for by the insurance. IF, YOU DECIDE NOT TO PAY FOR INSURANCE YOU ARE SELF INSURED-NOT PAYING FOR INSURANCE DOES NOT LIMIT YOUR RESPONSIBILITY OR IF YOU PREFER-YOUR LIABILITY.

LAUGHING A BIT-I can tell you that should anything go wrong, reading a post on talk of the villages IS OF NO VALUE.

I've read that there is a golf cart safety question and answer presentation at Savanna Center every third weds of the month. I would check my information re: the presentation. I've never gone. For what it is worth, my golf cart is set for 20mph and is insured.
You may not need insurance, but IMHO you'd be a bit crazy not to have it. If you injure or someone with your golf cart, or do damage to someone's property, you're likely to be sued. If you don't have insurance and are found to be at fault you could lose everything you have.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 09-06-2017, 10:42 AM
Veteran member

"If you don't have insurance and are found to be at fault you could lose everything you have."
Not true.
In FL, you cannot lose your home or your retirement accounts in a lawsuit.
Old 09-06-2017, 10:53 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,781 Times in 3,647 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spring_chicken View Post
"If you don't have insurance and are found to be at fault you could lose everything you have."
Not true.
And you can not lose your spouse.
Old 09-06-2017, 11:08 AM
Platinum member

I don't believe an insurance company has any legal authority to impound anything.
Old 09-06-2017, 11:13 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts
Default Good to knoe

Quote:
Not true.
This is good to know, however, insurance on a "regular cart" is less than $100.00 a year. Why take the risk for 100 bucks and less?
Old 09-06-2017, 11:22 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
This is good to know, however, insurance on a "regular cart" is less than $100.00 a year. Why take the risk for 100 bucks and less?
I didn't say you shouldn't. I just get tired of the uninformed use of the term "you could lose everything".
Old 09-06-2017, 12:54 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
I was run off of the road by another golf cart and my insurance company sent a rep to the repair shop. My golf cart is capable of going 35 mph and not one word was said by the insurance company.
spring-chicken the reason is that Comphensive and Collision coverage is 1st party coverage meaning between you and the insurance company. Unless you intentionally damaged your golf cart they have to honor the contract.
what you describe was not intentional but an "accident"
Old 09-06-2017, 01:54 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
spring-chicken the reason is that Comphensive and Collision coverage is 1st party coverage meaning between you and the insurance company. Unless you intentionally damaged your golf cart they have to honor the contract.
what you describe was not intentional but an "accident"
I was referring to the question in the OP of impounding, not whether they cover or not.
Old 09-06-2017, 02:23 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
I didn't say you shouldn't. I just get tired of the uninformed use of the term "you could lose everything".
There is a plethora of uninformed info on this site. Lots of arm chair lawyers-real estate and other. Lots of incredibly bad info about deed restrictions.

Too bad for the uninformed.
Old 09-06-2017, 02:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Challenger View Post
There is a plethora of uninformed info on this site. Lots of arm chair lawyers-real estate and other. Lots of incredibly bad info about deed restrictions.

I agree Challenger
Old 09-06-2017, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Challenger View Post

I agree as well.
Closed Thread

Tags
golf, insurance, cart, carts, stories

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.