Golf cart insurance question

Closed Thread
Old 02-06-2016, 05:32 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
Look at both uninsured and under insured coverage. If you get hit in your cart by someone with 100,000 of liability insurance and your bills total 200,000 you will need under insured coverage for the extra 100,000. The answer depends on how much you need insurance vs what you can afford to pay out of pocket if someone hits you and they can not pay all your bills.

I consider the Villages a high risk area for carts. Lots of traffic and more importantly lots of visitors that could be distracted.
yep, your right Uninsured motorist means you are insuring yourself against others liability because they were irresponsible and refused to carry liability insurance. Under-insured the other guy at fault only carries $100,000 liability but the resulting injuries/damage are in excess of his $100,000 so your policy comes into play.

I am a believer in insurance and I am a believer in the fact that I hope I never have to use any of it
Old 02-06-2016, 05:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
I am a believer in insurance and I am a believer in the fact that I hope I never have to use any of it
Have life insurance? Bad news, sooner or later it gets used. Now if they only offered tax insurance.........
Old 05-26-2016, 02:03 PM
Default Golfcart Insurance

My policy with Foremost went up by 65%. Looking to get another quote. Could anyone give me info on other insurance companies that insure golfcarts?
thanks
Old 05-26-2016, 03:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
yep, your right Uninsured motorist means you are insuring yourself against others liability because they were irresponsible and refused to carry liability insurance. Under-insured the other guy at fault only carries $100,000 liability but the resulting injuries/damage are in excess of his $100,000 so your policy comes into play.

I agree. Less expensive to carry insurance than pay for attorneys or sign over your assets. I have the same coverage on my carts as my cars plus the umbrella. You have to know that if something happens with injury you will be sued.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 05-26-2016, 05:20 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw View Post
The way umc was explained to me is that it only provides medical coverage for you and your passengers if the other motorist is at fault and doesn't have insurance. If you have comprehensive and liability coverage, your vehicle is covered, and your passengers can seek damages through your liability coverage.
I don't think this is correct. If your passenger is injured in an accident in which you (the driver) are at fault, then their injury is covered under your liability coverage. If the other driver is at fault, and uninsured, then I do not think your liability coverage comes into play. They would have to see if their own UM/UIM coverage would cover the loss.

Would depend on policy language, of course.

If your golf cart was damaged, you would be covered by your collision coverage (except for whatever deductible you have).
Old 05-26-2016, 10:31 PM
Veteran member

Uninsured/Underinsured motorist also covers for pain and suffering and death. You should also make sure you purchase Guest Passenger liabilty in addition to bodily injury to others.

Average golf cart polcy is around $100.00 year. Check this potential claim out.

You pick up your neighbor and head to the square for lunch. You and your neighbor are talking and for a split second you look up and there is some debris on golf cart path. You quickly try to avoid and hit a curve. Your passenger is thrown from cart and hits the pavement and is injured badly. Your carry $250,000 per person up to $500,000 per accident limits. Payout for injuries is $250,000.

Not even takng into account any other damages, premiums are low for coverage you receive.

As for what type coverage lmits one should carry...if your agent does not discuss what your exposure is and offer sufficient lmits to protect your assets then they are not doing their job

Last edited by GatorFan; 05-26-2016 at 10:33 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 05-26-2016, 10:57 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
I did review the thread from last year about cart insurance. I did notice a large swing is premiums presented....some under $100 per year others over $100 per year..
In addition to limits and deductibles, doesn't the cost of golf cart insurance also depend on the value of the cart insured?
An old Street Rod can be worth more than a new Yamaha.
Old 05-27-2016, 06:49 AM
Veteran member

The cost for carts are based on ACV just like an auto. Newer carts have a higher collision premium. As the cart ages the premiums decrease. Because there is no blue book value for carts most companies average cost new out of factory. A 2016 Streetrod and a 2016 Yamaha would be rated almost the same. Most golf carts are bought for golf courses. % wise not enough carts overall for compaies to spend a lot of money to do studies, crash test and research. Premiums are based on number of carts insured verus claim payouts. Age of driver, driving records, how cart is used, location etc. that is really all they have to go on.

Last edited by GatorFan; 05-27-2016 at 07:38 AM. Reason: Add
Closed Thread

Tags
year, $100, uninsured, cart, golf, motorist, insurance, amount, make, prmium, easily, premium, annual, opinion, 1/2, 1/3, details, notice, large, swing, premiums, question, review, thread, presented

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.