Golf Cart Lanes

Closed Thread
Old 05-15-2009, 01:12 PM
Default Golf Cart Lanes

Has anyone heard the Sumter County Sheriff is starting to ticket golf carts that pass slower carts by moving out of dedicated lanes into traffic lanes? Is this the truth or just a rumor? There is no Florida statute that says this is a violation of Florida’s traffic laws.
Old 05-15-2009, 01:26 PM
Golden Sunrise Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkimball View Post
Has anyone heard the Sumter County Sheriff is starting to ticket golf carts that pass slower carts by moving out of dedicated lanes into traffic lanes? Is this the truth or just a rumor? There is no Florida statute that says this is a violation of Florida’s traffic laws.
RK,

I am confused. If a cart (assuming NOT street legal) moves into the street to pass, isn't that illegal?

I have not heard if the ticketing is true or not, but I think periodically ticketing golf cart drivers for irresponsible driving (assuming there is a statute that backs up the ticket) can only be good.

TH periodically raises the issue of kids driving. Others have mentioned the issue of street legals or souped up cars exceeding the dedicated lane speed.

This affects our safety, but also our wallets.
Old 05-15-2009, 01:51 PM

Streets with multi-modal paths on them are completely golf cart accessible, so I don't think a cart would be ticketed for safely passing another cart as long they properly merge with traffic. On any street that allows both cars and golf carts, you are to merge into traffic to make left hand turns. Since many of our service people use these cart path areas as parking spots, it is often necessary to drive your cart on the main road area. I can see a ticket being given to someone who exceeds the 20 mph speed limit when they are passing another cart - whether it is on an allowable street or designated cart path! I would also hope that a ticket would be issued for reckless driving if a cart pulled out in front of traffic improperly. The rules of driving don't change just because you are in a golf cart rather than a standard automobile. Stop signs do mean STOP, turn signals are not optional and speed limits set by law are limits, not suggestions!
Old 05-15-2009, 02:10 PM
Veteran member

Haven't heard that, but I agree with it. I have seen too many folks pull out in front of car traffic trying to pass a slower cart. What's to gain, maybe 30 seconds to the next stop, tunnel, destination? Makes no sense to put yourself in that kind of danger.
Old 05-15-2009, 02:37 PM
Gold member
Default golf cart lanes

tickets for passing another golf cart. what will they think up next. come on everyone is a adult here.just another way for more money by the police dept.
Old 05-15-2009, 03:01 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felice View Post
Streets with multi-modal paths on them are completely golf cart accessible, so I don't think a cart would be ticketed for safely passing another cart as long they properly merge with traffic. On any street that allows both cars and golf carts, you are to merge into traffic to make left hand turns. Since many of our service people use these cart path areas as parking spots, it is often necessary to drive your cart on the main road area. I can see a ticket being given to someone who exceeds the 20 mph speed limit when they are passing another cart - whether it is on an allowable street or designated cart path! I would also hope that a ticket would be issued for reckless driving if a cart pulled out in front of traffic improperly. The rules of driving don't change just because you are in a golf cart rather than a standard automobile. Stop signs do mean STOP, turn signals are not optional and speed limits set by law are limits, not suggestions!
100%
Old 05-15-2009, 03:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts
Default Felice, your last sentence stated:

"Stop signs do mean STOP, turn signals are not optional and speed limits set by law are limits, not suggestions!"

For golf cars...These are excellent for the drivers on the road as well since most abide by none!

BTK
Old 06-10-2009, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Not sure if that's the case, but I hope the sheriff is starting to concentrate on golf cart violations. There's an guy who often travels on Morse with signs saying "Street Legal" posted on the front and back of his cart. It's obviously not street legal because it has a split windshield. He nearly had someone killed last week going through a roundabout.
Old 06-10-2009, 06:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Rumor. Started on this site.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.