Golf Cart Rental Insurance

Old 03-20-2024, 08:15 AM
Default Golf Cart Rental Insurance

I contacted The Villages golf car people to inquire about renting a golf car. $540 per month plus tax. Ok fine. Then I asked about insurance. I was told they do not provide insurance but to call a certain agent at “Allstate” which I did.
That agent informed me they no longer write golf cart rental policies.
From my research it seems you cannot get coverage if you’re merely renting a golf cart but if you own one, you can get the coverage.
You end up signing a liability waiver from The Villages golf car people and that’s it. You're 100% liable for the cart and any property and bodily harm. I don’t think so! Unless someone on here has any advice as to how to get insurance on a golf cart “rental”, looks like I’m driving my truck everywhere unfortunately.🤷🏻*♂️
Old 03-21-2024, 07:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,156 Times in 2,250 Posts

Check with your own insurance company and see if you can get coverage from them, if you bundle home and cars (trucks) you may be able to get them to include the golf cart. NOTE: most companies actually issue a motorcycle policy for the golf carts. Ask about a 'rider' on your truck policy for the golf cart coverage.
Old 03-21-2024, 11:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,179 Times in 835 Posts

I've got nothing to add about golf cart insurance.. but OP what is

*♂️

Male shrugging multiplied by male? I must be too old.
Old 03-21-2024, 11:34 AM

With many credit cards, if you use the card to pay for a car rental, the credit card company provides insurance.

Might that also apply to golf carts???

Worth asking.
Old 03-21-2024, 11:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,738 Times in 5,252 Posts

Note that most "insurance" sold by rental car companies is not insurance at all. It is called "collision damage waiver" coverage. It only means that the rental company cannot charge you for damage to the rental vehicle. I don't think it covers any liability for property damage or personal injury to others resulting from an accident.
Old 03-23-2024, 10:52 PM
Default No policy available

Quote:
Originally Posted by miclray View Post
I contacted The Villages golf car people to inquire about renting a golf car. $540 per month plus tax. Ok fine. Then I asked about insurance. I was told they do not provide insurance but to call a certain agent at “Allstate” which I did.
From my research it seems you cannot get coverage if you’re merely renting a golf cart but if you own one, you can get the coverage.
You end up signing a liability waiver from The Villages golf car people and that’s it. You're 100% liable for the cart and any property and bodily harm. I don’t think so! Unless someone on here has any advice as to how to get insurance on a golf cart “rental”, looks like I’m driving my truck everywhere unfortunately.🤷🏻*♂️
There is not now or ever that would cover you if you rent a cart.

Foremost had a policy that owner could purchase to cover rental exposure but I was told they are no longer writing.
Old 03-24-2024, 04:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,374 Times in 2,519 Posts

Wife and I rented for many years, and assumed that the golf cart that came with the rental was covered by the landlord's insurance.
Soon found out that most did not have any insurance to cover renters.
We could not find any insurance company to cover our golf cart.
Our holiday insurance had a public liability cover. I inquired about driving the cart under their insurance, they said public liability in event of claim was good, but they would not cover any damage to our cart.
We just self insured for our damage, and luckily survived all those years, despite the best efforts of some to modify our cart bodywork!
Old 03-24-2024, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Yes, it is no different than when you might rent Jet-Skis when on VACA. You are liable.
Old 03-24-2024, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorfan1 View Post
There is not now or ever that would cover you if you rent a cart.

Foremost had a policy that owner could purchase to cover rental exposure but I was told they are no longer writing.
But Foremost does have golf cart insurance for when a landlord has a golf cart in a rental property.
Old 03-24-2024, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrf0151 View Post
But Foremost does have golf cart insurance for when a landlord has a golf cart in a rental property.

Yes they do and they have to list the drivers, Name, DOB and DL#.
Premium charged. However, they do not write policies for a business and have been told they will not new business at this time for individual owners of gol carts.
Old 03-27-2024, 06:03 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,687 Times in 973 Posts

Quote:
The situation you describe is EXACTLY what I ran into 5 years ago when renting seasonally. Since I did not own the golf cart, I could not get any liability coverage from my home/auto bundled carrier. I was not covered with my umbrella policy. There was no option that I could find outside of my own insurance company either, for a rental cart.

I was not comfortable with this arrangement. I was quite sure I would be renting in TV for at least a few more seasons, so I bought a cart and arranged for storage during the months I was up north. It was a PITA.

Eventually, we wound up buying a home here and we are here for 8 months of the year. My thought when I bought the cart was that if we decided not to come back to TV, I'd be able to sell it and it probably wouldn't have cost me any more than renting one for a few seasons. In fact, it probably would have cost me less.

Knowing what I know now, I probably would just forego the cart until I bought. I thought it was an essential ingredient to living the TV lifestyle, but it really isn't. It's nice, and I like it, but I could have been OK without it, given the hassle of owning a cart without a garage to store it in.

Tags
golf, cart, insurance, car, rental

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.