Golf cart speed

Closed Thread
Old 07-05-2017, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by champion6 View Post
To be correct, he wasn't charged with a felony. He was charged with a misdemeanor criminal offense.

"I went to the Sumter County Clerk website and found that a CLASS 2 Misdemeanor was a Criminal offense punishable with a fine of up to $500 and 6 months in the county jail."
Yeah, I see that. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 07-05-2017, 09:41 AM
Gold member
Default Your view

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
for 11 years that i have lived here this has been one of those obsessive topics that seems to never go away. Why? Its all about nothing.

the recent fatality did not occur because of speed. it occurred because a pedestrian chose to walk in a diamond lane causing the cart drive to leave it and get struck.

while residents have been clamoring for cops to arrest golf cat speeders I have been complaining about pedestrian walking or jogging in a diamond lane and causing a golf cart driver to leave the diamond lane.

Look at the cause of most golf cart accidents and they are pure and simple caused because of distraction
You insist on trying to justify.

The fact is that the Villages is congested. We've all seen people do STUPID things. Here, you are dealing with people who stop in the middle of the road to BS, people walking dogs on leashes way too long to have any control of their pets, people driving golf carts that as you read thes posts have no idea about safety and likely drive their car in the same manner, OH AND PEOPLE WHO ALWAYS THINK IT IS SOMEONE BUT THEIR FAULT.

Read the posts about round a bouts. Clearly, a belief that the other people on the road know the law and are going to follow it ARE A REAL REACH.

ALMOST EVERY ACCIDENT IS AVOIDABLE. That accident that your report the golf cart drove out of hios lane because someone else was blocking his lane-THAT TOO SHOULD HAVE BEEN AVOIDED. The person blocking the lane was WRONG. The person in the golf cart that steered into traffic was likely INATTENTIVE should have slowed down or checked for a way around long before they chose to pull into traffic, the car driver should have realized what was going on and corrected by SEEING A WAY TO AVOID WHAT MIGHT AND IN THIS CASE WHAT DID HAPPEN.

RE: the diamond lanes
It IS a multi use lane. Far as I know the joggers have the right to use it. I know bikes have the right to use it.
I DO NOT KNOW YOU BUT FORM YOUR POST-I EXPECT YOU ARE ONE OF THE MANY THAT HAVE YOU GOLF CART SET FOR ILLEGAL SPEED AN THUS YOU THINK EVERYONE BUT YOU IS WRONG.
Old 07-05-2017, 12:02 PM

For those of you with a smart phone ~ download a free app called "Speedometer Free Speed Limit Alert". It has a Green 55 as it's logo.
We always use it when we travel in our golf cart. It shows how fast you are going. We can get 22 - 23 Downhill. 19 - 21 straight away.
Some of you may think you are going 20 MPH when your cart may only be doing 15...... It's a great way to check your own cart.
Old 07-05-2017, 02:12 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by suesiegel View Post
You insist on trying to justify.

The fact is that the Villages is congested. We've all seen people do STUPID things. Here, you are dealing with people who stop in the middle of the road to BS, people walking dogs on leashes way too long to have any control of their pets, people driving golf carts that as you read thes posts have no idea about safety and likely drive their car in the same manner, OH AND PEOPLE WHO ALWAYS THINK IT IS SOMEONE BUT THEIR FAULT.

Read the posts about round a bouts. Clearly, a belief that the other people on the road know the law and are going to follow it ARE A REAL REACH.

ALMOST EVERY ACCIDENT IS AVOIDABLE. That accident that your report the golf cart drove out of hios lane because someone else was blocking his lane-THAT TOO SHOULD HAVE BEEN AVOIDED. The person blocking the lane was WRONG. The person in the golf cart that steered into traffic was likely INATTENTIVE should have slowed down or checked for a way around long before they chose to pull into traffic, the car driver should have realized what was going on and corrected by SEEING A WAY TO AVOID WHAT MIGHT AND IN THIS CASE WHAT DID HAPPEN.

RE: the diamond lanes
It IS a multi use lane. Far as I know the joggers have the right to use it. I know bikes have the right to use it.
I DO NOT KNOW YOU BUT FORM YOUR POST-I EXPECT YOU ARE ONE OF THE MANY THAT HAVE YOU GOLF CART SET FOR ILLEGAL SPEED AN THUS YOU THINK EVERYONE BUT YOU IS WRONG.
suesiegel:

You and I have had many a friendly exchange over the years on these pages. So my apology for making you angry as that was not my intent. Please understand my intent was not to justify but to share my observations. I am under no obligation to justify myself to anyone except GOD

You and I agree The villages is congested. I stated many times in the past this congestion adds to the slowing of golf carts on MMP's Again I 'll wager a golf cart on any MMP doesn't average 17mph. Ego my statement that this obsession with speed is a nothing burger.

Most of what you comment on has nothing to do with the issue of speeding golf carts; albeit PEOPLE DOING STUPID THINGS DOES FOLD IN NICELY TO MY COMMENTS ABOUT DISTRACTION AS THE PRIMARY CAUSE OF MOST ACCIDENTS.

All accidents are avoidable that's why they are called accident. As I recall the definition of an accident is "a sudden and unforeseen event". at least that is what I taught my employees vis vis an intentional event . We paid for a car that caught fire. However we did not pay if the policyholder torched his car.

the use of diamond lanes depends on whether a sidewalk was provided. where this accident occurs a very wide sidewalk exists. had it been say on Rio Grande or Del Mar we might agree .

I hope my comments bridge any misunderstandings.

Personal Best Regards:
Old 07-05-2017, 02:34 PM
Sage

The equivalent's been said many times before, but I have to get it off my chest...

Are those folks that are so concerned about a golf cart going 23 mph just as concerned about a car going 75 mph on the Interstate? I know, I know...it's not the same...cars are LEGALLY ABLE to go over 70. Carts are not LEGALLY ABLE to go over 20. Big deal. To exceed 70 on the Interstate or to exceed 20 in your golf cart by a few mph are both illegal. And one is about as dangerous as the other...not very...as long as the driver is being careful. And one about as likely to be enforced as the other...thank goodness.

Someday the law will likely change. The carts-cannot-legally-be-able-to-go-over-20mph law is antiquated...put in place before places like TV even existed. It was the last century when LSV's were first defined.

The vast majority of golf carts in TV are able to go over 20 mph. And most are driven a little over 20 mph. And the drivers of those vehicles are for the most part safe drivers. Life Rubicon and others have said many times...it's the careless, inattentive or simply unskilled driver that is the problem.

There. I feel better.
Old 07-05-2017, 02:43 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,787 Times in 3,652 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
The equivalent's been said many times before, but I have to get it off my chest...

Are those folks that are so concerned about a golf cart going 23 mph just as concerned about a car going 75 mph on the Interstate? I know, I know...it's not the same...cars are LEGALLY ABLE to go over 70. Carts are not LEGALLY ABLE to go over 20. Big deal. To exceed 70 on the Interstate or to exceed 20 in your golf cart by a few mph are both illegal. And one is about as dangerous as the other...not very...as long as the driver is being careful. And one about as likely to be enforced as the other...thank goodness.

Someday the law will likely change. The carts-cannot-legally-be-able-to-go-over-20mph law is antiquated...put in place before places like TV even existed. It was the last century when LSV's were first defined.

The vast majority of golf carts in TV are able to go over 20 mph. And most are driven a little over 20 mph. And the drivers of those vehicles are for the most part safe drivers. Life Rubicon and others have said many times...it's the careless, inattentive or simply unskilled driver that is the problem.

There. I feel better.

I'm glad my car goes over 70.............drove thru Kansas last week and 80 mph was slow. Those tractors pulling three trailers are quite aggressive.
Old 07-05-2017, 05:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,184 Times in 1,936 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo1902 View Post
The in-law's looked at new Yamaha cart at Carts and Clubs last week, and were told by a salesperson they set them to reach 24mph.
Is this only for gas carts or do they set the speed to 24 mph on electric carts too?
Old 07-05-2017, 05:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by suesiegel View Post
As I read your post-
1. You cannlt claim ignorance of the law. It is not a valid excuse-DEFENSE.
2. LAWS are an attempt to protect ALL.
3. As to YOUR CRIMINAL RECORD. I expect if you check it gets expunged in two years. You may want to check.
I expect you are not the first one to ask and hopefully people in the court will have the answer for you, I am not an atty. I expect the CRIMINAL RECORD means that should you commit this CRIME again they will ?????? increase the fine? Jail you???? As you posted, you are on probation.
You should find out what that means=IF YOU DO NOT KNOW.
4. As a friend said-If, you have a golf cart that will do 30mph YOU WILL DO 30MPH.
5. WHO KNOWS-perhaps your post will convince others to TURN THE GOVERNOR ON THEIR GOLF CART BACK TO THE PROPER LEGAL SETTING?????
I think you ran into a similar problem when I was posting about small claims court and was relaying facts found on a state website about the fees charged by the county and you somehow jumped to the conclusion that I was the original poster and was somehow involved with the golf cart scammer.

Now to this post, the courtroom story was not my story. Two posters were each trying to correct themselves over nit-picky stuff about speeding golf carts and what kind of ticket you'll receive and how much it will cost. I found a blog that contained a detailed story of what one Villager (not me) went through after he was stopped for speeding. In the first paragraph where I used a slightly larger font I wrote "Here's from a blog called "Inside the Bubble" and what really happens when stopped by the police for speeding in The Villages." All that followed after that statement was from the blog, none were my words, I only related the story for the benefit of others.
Old 07-05-2017, 05:24 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
That is very strange. It would be unusual for a business to make a policy in violation of state law. They could be fined, heavily, by the state. Even worse, they could be sued by anyone who gets a ticket, and God forbid, anyone hurt in an accident due to cart speed. I would question whether the in-laws heard correctly, and if they did, what was the salesman's understanding of golf cart speed. Every time I bring in my cart for yearly service (at Villages Carts, Brownwood) they have checked to make sure it can't EXCEED 20 mph.
My sister and brother-in-law purchased their gas Yamaha carts at Carts and Clubs BECAUSE they were told the speed would be set at 24 mph. They get their carts serviced by Carts and Clubs too. They don't have to worry about signing a waiver that their cart top speed is 20 mph.
Old 07-05-2017, 05:37 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Surprisingly, they are turning the speeds up at the BW service garage. My neighbor told me, & I confirmed.
Are they turning the speeds up on gas and electric carts? I would like just 2 mph more than the 20 I get now in my electric cart.
Old 07-05-2017, 05:38 PM
Sage

Quote:
I love the rolling hills on 466a................I can get my cart close to 22.

Gee.....maybe I should venture out on 466A. Wheeeeee!!!
Old 07-05-2017, 06:32 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,787 Times in 3,652 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
Are they turning the speeds up on gas and electric carts? I would like just 2 mph more than the 20 I get now in my electric cart.
I have gas (go ahead, I opened the door), don't know about electric.
Old 07-05-2017, 08:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
I have gas (go ahead, I opened the door), don't know about electric.
There's pills for that, I think. Also avoid broccoli.
Old 07-05-2017, 08:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,946 Times in 4,145 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
There's pills for that, I think. Also avoid broccoli.
And we have our first customer of the day......door didn't have to be open for long
Old 07-05-2017, 08:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
And we have our first customer of the day......door didn't have to be open for long
Somebody had to be first. Your turn!

Tags
golf, mph, cart, neighbor, heard

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.