Golf cart speed

Closed Thread
Old 10-05-2010, 01:43 PM
Veteran member
Location: Indiana,the Villages,Port Charlotte fl ,Summerfield fl, The villages again

Police use a certified speedometer with a +or- of 1mph given.
A vehicle that is properly pace clocked with a certified speedomter is every bit as accurate as radar.
Radar is most accurate while running "stationary" or MV (moving vehicle) radar as they are approaching you.
Go fast.............get a ticket
Old 10-05-2010, 01:45 PM
Gold member
Default golf carts

Police have to much time on their hands in the Villages.
Old 10-05-2010, 02:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulandjean View Post
Police have to much time on their hands in the Villages.
What does this mean??
Old 10-05-2010, 02:24 PM

Anyone that wants to go over 19.8 MPH should get a ticket, even going down the hills.
Old 10-05-2010, 02:32 PM
Soaring Eagle member

If we go back to the original post here, I think "rumor" is the operative word. I too would like to know what comment GG edited, come on Gracie, oh persnickety pundit or whatever your title is.....gn

Last edited by golfnut; 10-05-2010 at 02:34 PM.
Old 10-05-2010, 02:51 PM
Veteran member

A friend of one of my friends got a ticket for going 31 mph in a 25 mph zone - $130 fine.
Old 10-05-2010, 03:07 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfnut View Post
If we go back to the original post here, I think "rumor" is the operative word. I too would like to know what comment GG edited, come on Gracie, oh persnickety pundit or whatever your title is.....gn
There's an article in todays edition of Village Voice concerning this issue. " Law Enforcement responds to your requests and have been cracking down on moving violations) They mention rolling stop sigh and speeding. (page 4)
Old 10-05-2010, 04:39 PM
Gold member

What is the Village Voice and can it be accessed online (for those of us who are not in TV at the moment)?
Old 10-05-2010, 05:10 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elevatorman View Post
I heard a rumor from 2 different sources that police were ticketing golf carts exceeding 20 mph. A court appearance is required and then there is a $850.00 fine. Has anyone been stopped?
There are a number of factors contributing to the cost of being ticketed for travelling 25 MPH in a golf cart.

Any golf cart capable of exceeding 20 MPH is no longer a golf cart. A ticket is issued based on it being unlicensed vehicle. Add to that it is not properly equipped. Plus it is improperly insured. To top it all off, it must be reconfigure so it will not be capable of exceeding 20 MPH.

Oh yes, let's not forget the cost of souping it up in the first place.

I would like to know the actual cost. If I did I would be tempted to place a sign on the back of my cart stating "PASSING ME COULD COST YOU $X,XXX.00". On second thought I wouldn't do that. It might anger some one who "carries" and I might get shot.
Old 10-05-2010, 05:24 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster View Post
There are a number of factors contributing to the cost of being ticketed for travelling 25 MPH in a golf cart.

Any golf cart capable of exceeding 20 MPH is no longer a golf cart. A ticket is issued based on it being unlicensed vehicle. Add to that it is not properly equipped. Plus it is improperly insured. To top it all off, it must be reconfigure so it will not be capable of exceeding 20 MPH.

I would like to know the actual cost. If I did I would be tempted to place a sign on the back of my cart stating "PASSING ME COULD COST YOU $X,XXX.00". On second thought I wouldn't do that. It might anger some one who "carries" and I might get shot.

I agree,and the woman who was given the ticket for speeding and is going to contest it may end up paying much more if her Golf Cart is not properly licensed,registered and insured.
Old 10-05-2010, 05:51 PM
Founder

If I'm not mistaken, when a violator contests a traffic ticket in court, and is subsequently found guilty, the judge has the prerogative to impose an even higher than normal fine. For example a $175 speeding ticket could turn into a $500 fine.
Old 10-05-2010, 05:58 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk Host View Post
If I'm not mistaken, when a violator contests a traffic ticket in court, and is subsequently found guilty, the judge has the prerogative to impose an even higher than normal fine. For example a $175 speeding ticket could turn into a $500 fine.
??? So you're entitled to your day in court but it will cost you extra?
Old 10-05-2010, 06:14 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster View Post

i too would be afraid of being shot - yes they were out on Belvedere today by the bonnybrook rec center. one of the offers had a motorcycle and a radar gun - i think they were giving warnings not tickets as i pulled into the mailboxes i saw three people get pulled over they gave each a piece of paper and did not ask for id so i am assuming it was a notice of the law. i hope it puts a stop to the fast carts - it seems there are more and more fast carts maybe its the baby boomers feel the need to go fast??? all you fast cart owners beware of the gendarme.
Old 10-05-2010, 06:25 PM

I think it was bound to happen. And with the villages growing, I think the chance of an accident will go higher with more and more golf cars on the roads and the increase in the speed of a golf car does not help. Lets look at this as a good thing being proactive rather than reactive. Is 20mph in a golf car really that bad? and whats the rush?
Old 10-05-2010, 06:31 PM
Platinum member

FunFan is right... What's the rush?"

It's not like we have to go to work tomorrow morning.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.