Golf cart speed

Closed Thread
Old 10-05-2010, 06:34 PM
Sage
Location: grew up in NYC and lived my adult life in Northern NJ; and now a resident of TV in Bonita
Send a message via AIM to RichieLion

I think it's interesting the slant of the large majority of these posts in consideration of my observation that almost every cart I've been on the paths and roads with go faster than legally proscribed. It's no so common to see a truly legal cart in the true definition. All you have to do is see the many carts with 10" wheels, and they now go faster, for one example.
Old 10-05-2010, 06:40 PM
Platinum member

20 MPH is fine..as long as everyone does the same speed. What bites is the rentals that go 13-14 mph. I had one of those and it was frustrating. If I went any slower-I'd be going in reverse.
Old 10-05-2010, 07:08 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl View Post
What is the Village Voice and can it be accessed online (for those of us who are not in TV at the moment)?
You cannot access it on line. It's a publication of TV Homeowners Association. It was inserted into todays paper. (I don't think they have on line access)
Old 10-05-2010, 07:28 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieLion View Post
I think it's interesting the slant of the large majority of these posts in consideration of my observation that almost every cart I've been on the paths and roads with go faster than legally proscribed. It's no so common to see a truly legal cart in the true definition. All you have to do is see the many carts with 10" wheels, and they now go faster, for one example.
I have a legal cart, no oversized tires and it cannot exceed 19.9mph and yes the speed has been checked. It is a golf cart orginally designed to go 14mph, I'm happy that we are allowed to go 19.9mph.

If I really wanted to go faster I would buy an LSV and register and insure it as required by Florida law.
Old 10-05-2010, 07:45 PM
Sage
Location: grew up in NYC and lived my adult life in Northern NJ; and now a resident of TV in Bonita
Send a message via AIM to RichieLion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halle View Post
I have a legal cart, no oversized tires and it cannot exceed 19.9mph and yes the speed has been checked. It is a golf cart orginally designed to go 14mph, I'm happy that we are allowed to go 19.9mph.

If I really wanted to go faster I would buy an LSV and register and insure it as required by Florida law.
That's very laudable of you, but I'm merely making an observation, not an accusation. I still believe you're in the minority.
Old 10-05-2010, 08:09 PM

The Villages Voice is on line. thevha.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by golf2140 View Post
You cannot access it on line. It's a publication of TV Homeowners Association. It was inserted into todays paper. (I don't think they have on line access)
Old 10-05-2010, 10:40 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elevatorman View Post
I heard a rumor from 2 different sources that police were ticketing golf carts exceeding 20 mph. A court appearance is required and then there is a $850.00 fine. Has anyone been stopped?
Before work began on the golf path along El Camino, I went by a motorcycle officer who was checking with a detector, not the cars, but the golf cars along the path.
Old 10-05-2010, 11:16 PM
Veteran member

This thread is kind of nuts. Are you serious there are uniformed police officers spending their time with radar guns checking for golf carts that go over 20 mph? How fast can a non licensed one realistically go? 25 or 30?
Are speeding carts on golf paths really that big of problem. I have been all over TV on 6 visits and never saw one.
I think a few paths should be widened for safety on northside, and they are working on that now.. but seriously... Uniformed officers after golf carts going 5mph over their max speed?
Do they also patrol in TV or just come in once in awhile to write tickets?
Old 10-06-2010, 05:06 AM
Veteran member
Send a message via MSN to Bryan

I have to disagree with JimJoe - it is a good use of the officers (actually deputies) time. As noted in The Village Voice yesterday, many TV residents have been clamoring for increased golf cart traffic enforcement. Our local law enforcement is simply responding to the desires of the public they serve. I think their efforts should be applauded. More than golf carts use our "internodal recreational trails" - walkers, joggers, bicycles, etc. Speeding golf carts make it unsafe for them. I, for one, am very happy to see the laws being enforced on our golf cart trails and I hope it keeps up.
Old 10-06-2010, 05:37 AM
Veteran member
Question

Some of the posts bring on another question. Do the police have any jurisdiction on the trails? After all they are private property. I think the tickets have been issued only where carts are driven on roads with seperate lanes for cart use.
Old 10-06-2010, 06:35 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimJoe View Post
This thread is kind of nuts. Are you serious there are uniformed police officers spending their time with radar guns checking for golf carts that go over 20 mph? How fast can a non licensed one realistically go? 25 or 30?
Are speeding carts on golf paths really that big of problem. I have been all over TV on 6 visits and never saw one.
I think a few paths should be widened for safety on northside, and they are working on that now.. but seriously... Uniformed officers after golf carts going 5mph over their max speed?
Do they also patrol in TV or just come in once in awhile to write tickets?
Sorry JimJoe, I have to disagree with you on this one. I live here full time, and we see a lot of it. I ride my bicycle on the rec trails, and I find the speeding carts to be a safety hazard. They whiz by me on some of the narrower portions, so close, I have almost been forced off the trail. They go around curves so fast, that often times pedestrians that are also using hte trail have to quickly jump aside to avoid being hit. The Morse Blvd. bridge has a 10 mph speed limit that is completely disregarded. I was passed by someone the other day had to be going 30 mph on the rec trail. We have to share the trails with carts, cyclists, and walkers, and the speeding carts are a menace IMHO.
Old 10-06-2010, 06:47 AM
Founder

The "private property" question is a really good one. While I agree for the need for enforcement, how can the deputies do it on "private property." Are the multiuse trails "private?" There has got to be some loop hole they are using.

If I'm not mistaken, the newspaper once quoted law enforcement as saying that souped up carts would be charged with "tampering with or changing mandatory factory safety equipment."

I would love to hear from an expert on this matter.

JIMJOE..............where are you?

JLK
Old 10-06-2010, 07:26 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk Host View Post
The "private property" question is a really good one. While I agree for the need for enforcement, how can the deputies do it on "private property." Are the multiuse trails "private?" There has got to be some loop hole they are using.

If I'm not mistaken, the newspaper once quoted law enforcement as saying that souped up carts would be charged with "tampering with or changing mandatory factory safety equipment."

I would love to hear from an expert on this matter.

JIMJOE..............where are you?

JLK
I think that once you get off of the multinodal paths and are on one of the main roads (Belle Meade Circle, Morris, Madiera, Enrico, etc,) they are allowed to issue tickets for not obeying the traffic laws. They sit in Azteca loop on the side roads and on Legacy Lane and give tickets for running the stop signs.

Although a few years ago, I did see a cop on a cycle chase a cart down the multinodal path. Maybe the cart committed an infraction on Southern Trace and did not stop for the cop so he pursued.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 10-06-2010, 07:43 AM
Send a message via Yahoo to BlueHeronFan

Uh Oh

TOTV Advertiser.

http://www.digitaloverdrivesystems.com/
Old 10-06-2010, 08:24 AM
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHeronFan View Post
We were concerned about this too. I talked with the owner of the company and he said this product is for those 13 mph carts that want to go 19.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.